Is it now time for SPFL refs

soulboy

I don't know if this would be allowed under the rules but since SFA refs ref SPFL games is it now time for the SPFL to employ their own refs.

Their are a few refs who are just incompetent buffoons. So the spfl could hand pick their own and if needs be get refs from England to make up the numbers.

Clubs should be all over this like a rash demanding competent referees.

Refs are human we need Var for big calls, goals, pens and cards. Then cheating isn't really possible.

I work as a supervisor and all I do all do is fix people's mistakes in a boring office environment. Imagine how much easier it would be to make mistakes in front of 50,000 with a split second to make a decision. People aren't able to be 100% accurate it's impossible.

Bring in Var wipe out the moaning about the refs.

19 minutes ago, Jonathan1872 said:

Refs are human we need Var for big calls, goals, pens and cards. Then cheating isn't really possible.

I work as a supervisor and all I do all do is fix people's mistakes in a boring office environment. Imagine how much easier it would be to make mistakes in front of 50,000 with a split second to make a decision. People aren't able to be 100% accurate it's impossible.

VAR has more than a few problems of it's own. 

There was one in Holland where team claimed a penalty, ref waived play on, other team went up the park and scored and then VAR decided to pull it back for the penalty.

36 minutes ago, The Dude said:

VAR has more than a few problems of it's own. 

There was one in Holland where team claimed a penalty, ref waived play on, other team went up the park and scored and then VAR decided to pull it back for the penalty.

yeah that is one potential flaw in the system, but I'd rather have the risk of that happening than hammer throwers getting away with murder week in week out. And as human as the refs are here, they are fucking shite compared to even say the premier league.  VAR would be a fantastic addition with minimal risk and minimal cost to implement. just have an ex pro ref in the control room unbiased of course.

1 hour ago, Jonathan1872 said:

Can't we just wipe out the refs instead?

I'm all for VAR technology I watch Rugby and American Football both of which use it and for the most part it clears up missed calls by refs but as shown by the recent use of it in football the referees attempting to use it were still incompetent.

5 minutes ago, big blue Fin said:

I'm all for VAR technology I watch Rugby and American Football both of which use it and for the most part it clears up missed calls by refs but as shown by the recent use of it in football the referees attempting to use it were still incompetent.

Like every bit of technology ever, it starts out full of flaws but used over and over they are ironed out and you are left with a half decent system.

10 minutes ago, Jonathan1872 said:

Like every bit of technology ever, it starts out full of flaws but used over and over they are ironed out and you are left with a half decent system.

So we get the guys who run Rugby and the NFL to show the morons in football how it's supposed to be used, although I'd like to think if I was running football I'd already have done that.

20 minutes ago, stevemac said:

yeah that is one potential flaw in the system, but I'd rather have the risk of that happening than hammer throwers getting away with murder week in week out. And as human as the refs are here, they are fucking shite compared to even say the premier league.  VAR would be a fantastic addition with minimal risk and minimal cost to implement. just have an ex pro ref in the control room unbiased of course.

Not sure about the minimal cost to implement tbh. Would need to have an array of cameras at every game give VAR more than one angle to work from (Most SPFL games out with the Premiership are filmed with one or two cameras).

The guy watching the screen is no less human than the guy with a whistle and is just as prone to making mistakes. Like this clusterfuck...http://www.espnfc.com/video/mls-highlights/150/video/3178514/watch-kaka-sent-off-after-bizarre-var-ruling

2 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Not sure about the minimal cost to implement tbh. Would need to have an array of cameras at every game give VAR more than one angle to work from (Most SPFL games out with the Premiership are filmed with one or two cameras).

The guy watching the screen is no less human than the guy with a whistle and is just as prone to making mistakes. Like this clusterfuck...http://www.espnfc.com/video/mls-highlights/150/video/3178514/watch-kaka-sent-off-after-bizarre-var-ruling

Fair enough mate, I did underestimate the cost to implement it. However, surely a sponsorship deal with the league could cover it. and it means we would have better matchday coverage with more cameras. 

yeah aye, that was ridiculous, but thats one or two incidents that i've seen with iffy VAR. you get 3x that in a single game up here. And the key is to have a top ex ref in the control room to be making the decisions. A Howard Webb or similar. you only need 2 or 3 to cover the whole league as they tend to be monitoring other games at the same time from a single location.

Should be foreign refs, even the fucking Chinese league are doing it. 

They might get some decisions wrong like every referee but I can guarantee there would have been at least 4 sending offs against us this season if we had competent refs who don't buy into the media drivel that gets spouted.

Since when was Alfredo Morelos a hot headed player? He'd never been sent off in his career and after getting booted lumps out of for the best part of the season he retaliates once and is now labelled a hot head, the media push that agenda for weeks with the help of Rodgers and now we have managers and players coming out and specifically targeting the kid, which results in him getting yellow cards for no reason, effectively rendering him useless in games as he can't play to his physical strengths whilst we have opposing players punching and breaking players noses because "its the way he jumps". 

Absolute fucking nonsense. The Scottish refs either have an agenda or they've bought into the tarrier media agenda that gets pushed out every week. 

Our refs have to officiate the game the same way it's officiated across Europe.  We can't be more lax with regards to rough play otherwise it puts all our players at a disadvantage when they do play in European and international games.  They'll have to alter their approach for those games as they wont get away with the pish they get away with domestically and that's bound to introduce uncertainty and hesitation in their play. We already struggle to compete in Europe across the board, all clubs joining Murderwell in a race to the bottom isn't going to help that so the answer is stronger officials (excuse the pun) stamping it out.

Just now, stevemac said:

Fair enough mate, I did underestimate the cost to implement it. However, surely a sponsorship deal with the league could cover it. and it means we would have better matchday coverage with more cameras. 

yeah aye, that was ridiculous, but thats one or two incidents that i've seen with iffy VAR. you get 3x that in a single game up here. And the key is to have a top ex ref in the control room to be making the decisions. A Howard Webb or similar. you only need 2 or 3 to cover the whole league as they tend to be monitoring other games at the same time from a single location.

Howard Webb currently runs VAR for...MLS. If there's 20 games going on over the SPFL on a saturday afternoon you'd need much more than 2 or 3 guys to cover all that and if everyone goes down the same path then there's only so many top referees to go around.

Just look at Scotland's best in recent memory - Dallas - runs refereeing for FIFA/UEFA and VERY highly regarded as a ref but here...he's corrupt etc.

Just now, The Dude said:

Howard Webb currently runs VAR for...MLS. If there's 20 games going on over the SPFL on a saturday afternoon you'd need much more than 2 or 3 guys to cover all that and if everyone goes down the same path then there's only so many top referees to go around.

Just look at Scotland's best in recent memory - Dallas - runs refereeing for FIFA/UEFA and VERY highly regarded as a ref but here...he's corrupt etc.

see how was just the first big name I could think of.

I watched a program about the implementation of VAR in the bundesliga the other day. the room had a group of analysts watching the screens of various games across the division, and going over ref's decisions etc. I'm unsure if they were actually match officials or just analysts following the refereeing procedures or whatever. but you could have that, just video analysts with one or two actual match officials overseeing them kind of thing.

I think mainly it would be a premiership thing, to see how it works out on a trial basis, and if successful, then roll out across the divisions. that way, initially, less staff/refs needed as theres only ever what, like 5 or 6 games happening at any given time in the SPFL premiership. 

RE your second point, thats why I think a main ref being responsible for overseeing the analysts needs to be someone from somewhere else - absolutely no chance of a bias or any reason to give dubious decisions. hence my how suggestion initially. 

28 minutes ago, The Dude said:

It's 2017 you can buy a fixed point HD camera for £250 1080p 60fps. It's not 1985.

You could cover the whole stadium with maybe 10-15. Link them all up maximum cost 10-15k per stadium.

I think VAR is a great system. Watch a lot of italian and German football,and they use it 2\3 times a game. It works more often than not. Problem in Scotland is that we seem to have regressed as a forward thinking football nation,and I would put the mortgage on most of the teams voting the idea down, because we seem to be hesitant to adapt to new things,and the small minded mentality is that we don't need all this new fangled technology. 

As if foreign referees cannot be corrupted!

What needs to happen is proper refereeing standards - which align with European football - are brought in and referees to be held accountable for poor performance and getting things utterly wrong. If an agreement is unreachable regarding a dispute then an external unbiased body must come in to resolve.

1 hour ago, big blue Fin said:

Imagine modern tennis without it...and cricket.

35 minutes ago, Negri's lovechild said:

I think VAR is a great system. Watch a lot of italian and German football,and they use it 2\3 times a game. It works more often than not. Problem in Scotland is that we seem to have regressed as a forward thinking football nation,and I would put the mortgage on most of the teams voting the idea down, because we seem to be hesitant to adapt to new things,and the small minded mentality is that we don't need all this new fangled technology. 

:tu:

2 hours ago, ForeverAndEver said:

Have you seen the penalty against them on Saturday :lol: 

Do you think Hibs would have got that penalty if it was the last minute of the game at 0-0 ? . The referee didn't give it as he didn't have the balls , it was the linesman who gave it and if he had given it in the circumstances i suggest and cost the tims an unbeaten run and a treble he'd be in hiding as we speak ,with his career over.

1 minute ago, ianferguson said:

Do you think Hibs would have got that penalty if it was the last minute of the game at 0-0 ? . The referee didn't give it as he didn't have the balls , it was the linesman who gave it and if he had given it in the circumstances i suggest and cost the tims an unbeaten run and a treble he'd be in hiding as we speak ,with his career over.

The ref would've been right no to give it :lol:

If that was gave against us, cunts would be squealing conspiracy.