A Few Thoughts

DBBTB

In the past I've been a known fan of Barry. However I am starting to get a bit suspicious of the perception among the majority of our fans that Ferguson is untoucable, in fact I would go as far as to say that we would be a better side of we were to cash in on him and invest the money elsewhere.

Because Ferguson is neither a holding midfielder or an attacking midfielder we need to play a 3 man midfield to see "the best" of him. This affects the team as we have to sacrafice a striker in favour of that extra man in midfield that allows him to be effective.

People say his ability has "dropped" because he has been carrying the team on his back for two years, when in truth he hasn't really. Other players have been better than him in the past two years and you could really say that they actually carried the team. The other main reason that he isn't the player of yester years is that "he has poor players around him who in turn make him look like a worse player" Perhaps that is true, but nobody has stopped to consider that when Ferguson was at his "peak" for us the players around him were: Tugay, Reyna, Albertz, Van Bronckhorst, De Boer, Arveladze, Cannigia and Arteta. Perhaps these players actually made Ferguson look better than he really was/is?

Perhaps because he's a good Rangers man he is seen as better than he really is I don't know. But I really think we would become a better side if we cashed in and invested the money on an attacking midfielder that actually attacked and didin't drop off, that way Thomson could play the holding role and we would have a better balance to our team.

Just my opinion though.

I think he has carried the team a lot to be fair to him. He's played through countless injuries for the team, admittedly they didn't do the team (or the player) any good.

I'm a big Barry fan. Went to the same school as me etc, so I'm probably too bias. He's the best footballer in the side I feel, and when it comes to midfield I see him as a 'jack of all trades but a master of none', simply because he can hold, attack, pass, tackle all quite well, but none totally exceptional.

He's definately one of the last players I'd want to see leave.

In the past I've been a known fan of Barry. However I am starting to get a bit suspicious of the perception among the majority of our fans that Ferguson is untoucable, in fact I would go as far as to say that we would be a better side of we were to cash in on him and invest the money elsewhere.

Because Ferguson is neither a holding midfielder or an attacking midfielder we need to play a 3 man midfield to see "the best" of him. This affects the team as we have to sacrafice a striker in favour of that extra man in midfield that allows him to be effective.

People say his ability has "dropped" because he has been carrying the team on his back for two years, when in truth he hasn't really. Other players have been better than him in the past two years and you could really say that they actually carried the team. The other main reason that he isn't the player of yester years is that "he has poor players around him who in turn make him look like a worse player" Perhaps that is true, but nobody has stopped to consider that when Ferguson was at his "peak" for us the players around him were: Tugay, Reyna, Albertz, Van Bronckhorst, De Boer, Arveladze, Cannigia and Arteta. Perhaps these players actually made Ferguson look better than he really was/is?

Perhaps because he's a good Rangers man he is seen as better than he really is I don't know. But I really think we would become a better side if we cashed in and invested the money on an attacking midfielder that actually attacked and didin't drop off, that way Thomson could play the holding role and we would have a better balance to our team.

Just my opinion though.

I agree with alot of what u say.personally I think alot of us do over rate fergie,and ill admit I cut him more slack than some,I dunno why,maybe it is because he clearly is a rangers man.having said that,in my opinion he has had one stand out season for me (2002-2003) where he was superb.however,since his return,I feel some games where he has been out,we seem to have had a more cutting edge about our play as I find barry often slows us down when theres no need.all my opinion of course

I disagree. I think with Ferguson and Thomson in the centre midfield positions would add balance because one of them can support the strikers while the other supports the defence.

IMO, he was our best player last season and was still criticised for some very good performances. His best seasons for us were 2001/2002 and 2002/2003. He had a great team in 02/03 and Ferguson was outstanding that season. I think he needs better players to play at his best because better players will read his passes and connect well with him to create good chances.

I agree with alot of what u say.personally I think alot of us do over rate fergie,and ill admit I cut him more slack than some,I dunno why,maybe it is because he clearly is a rangers man.having said that,in my opinion he has had one stand out season for me (2002-2003) where he was superb.however,since his return,I feel some games where he has been out,we seem to have had a more cutting edge about our play as I find barry often slows us down when theres no need.all my opinion of course

This is true, but look at our team, and in particular our midfield/attack that season: Rickesn, Arteta, de Boer, Cannigia, Mols, Arveldaze and Lovenkrands. It is true Ferguson scored a heap of golas, but just how many came from penalties/free kicks, and he did win POTY but I truly beleive those around him made him look better than he truly was.

This is true, but look at our team, and in particular our midfield/attack that season: Rickesn, Arteta, de Boer, Cannigia, Mols, Arveldaze and Lovenkrands. It is true Ferguson scored a heap of golas, but just how many came from penalties/free kicks, and he did win POTY but I truly beleive those around him made him look better than he truly was.

(tu)

There was alot of penalties but there was also a few times when Ferguson burst in the box and slotted the ball in the corner.

There was alot of penalties but there was also a few times when Ferguson burst in the box and slotted the ball in the corner.

This is also true, but he can't continue to live off of the reputation he gained due to having a good season nearly 4/5 years ago.

He still has his games where he turns it on, but IMO he doesn;'t do it enough as he is too busy trying to be the only player who actually influences things and this in turn means other players can't do their roles as effectively as they could and as a reslut we slate them for poor performances, while praising Ferguson for trying to do everything.

I can see what your getting at DBBTB i think BF brings alot to the team when hes getting forward (and alot better to watch from a fans point of veiw), getting him to take on this role is the problem. Hoping this year with a better back four and Thompson in the side he will push up alot more.

I can see what your getting at DBBTB i think BF brings alot to the team when hes getting forward (and alot better to watch from a fans point of veiw), getting him to take on this role is the problem. Hoping this year with a better back four and Thompson in the side he will push up alot more.

Yeah that's what I hope too (tu)

I'm by no means a Ferguson hater, but I just think that if he doesn't play a more attack role and continues to prevent players like Thomson and Hemdani from doing there jobs by continuasly dropping deep top pick up the ball then it could be in the clubs best interests to sell him while we can still make a decent sum and re invest the money on a player who will focus solely on attacking.

Just my opinion though.

I'm dissapointed I have came in late since I read it where it was only Papaguy's post but had to walk the dog but I do agree with some that he has looked better than he was/is but I can't agree with selling him.

I just can't agree in selling him as he is our very own 'regista' as the Italians would say about Albertini as our ball playing midfielder. Never mind, the PLG saga, it is also nice to have a captain similiar to Gerrard and Maldini at Liverpool who really know what it means to play for their repective clubs.

Why not play KT and BF together? Although I don't eant to demean the 'Makelele role', I'm still a believer that in a 4-4-2, 1 midfielder pushes on and the other stays and they take turns?

It is true that we need to see more of the Barry of old when he would make thos runs off the striker and I hope he resumes that play.

I think your post was very accurate and i agree with almost all you said. He is a great player at times but it seems to me this happens only against certain opposition who just coincidently play in a way that allows him in flourish. I think the big issue here is about discipline and the manager has got to sort that out, he needs to decide whether Barry plays offensive or holding and ensure he does the job he is tasked to do. Your right in saying that effectively the team suffers because we lack the penetration that he is meant to be providing. At this stage though i would prefer if the boss tried to remedy the situation through dialogue as opposed to selling him.

This is also true, but he can't continue to live off of the reputation he gained due to having a good season nearly 4/5 years ago.

He still has his games where he turns it on, but IMO he doesn;'t do it enough as he is too busy trying to be the only player who actually influences things and this in turn means other players can't do their roles as effectively as they could and as a reslut we slate them for poor performances, while praising Ferguson for trying to do everything.

It was better than a good season Dado. Everybody knows that he's a very good player when he plays and that happens. I posted this only a few days ago but he goes back to collect the ball IMO because no one else can start a move like him except for Thomson and Thomson wasnn't here for half of the last season. IMO Ferguson wouldn't be so deep if we had good enough creative players which I think we're improving with Gow (tu)

It was better than a good season Dado. Everybody knows that he's a very good player when he plays and that happens. I posted this only a few days ago but he goes back to collect the ball IMO because no one else can start a move like him except for Thomson and Thomson wasnn't here for half of the last season. IMO Ferguson wouldn't be so deep if we had good enough creative players which I think we're improving with Gow (tu)

I agree totally with the Goal machine, sometimes I got the impression that Barry gave himself too much to do because of the lack of quality in front of himself

Fergie is versatile though and can slot in nicely to any formation. He is our main man its as simple as that. No one is untouchable of course but Ferguson is indispensable to Rangers

I understand a lot of what you say though.

Bazza's at his best when he has the ball at his feet, his head up, and attacking players making runs in front of him. His passing is his best weapon and I believe that too many people want to play him too far forward simply because he had a season where he scored a few goals. In fact in that season, he played as a central midfielder also, not an attacking midfielder and made great bursts forward to get on the ball.

If we're going to play a three, lets play Barry with Thomson/Hemdani and have Gow/Buffel sitting in front, with two wide men and a striker all making runs, and let Baz do what he does best and anticipate the moves and make pin-point accurate passes to find them.

Even then, when in the SPL, there's nothing to stop him making forward runs and leaving one defensive midfielder because, lets face it, its all we should really be needing there anyway.

:)

Ive been saying for years, That in order to get the best out of Barry Ferguson, you have to play him in a 3 man midfield with a defensive midfielder and an attacking midfielder. Barry enjoys the freedom in midfield and it allows him to move all over the park and control the game. Barry is neither a defensive midfielder or an attacking midfielder, so it is extremely difficult to get the blend in midfield whilst playing 2 central midfielders.

However WS and PLG major mistake is/was playing Barry Ferguson with 2 defensive midfielders behind him. Barry is not a box to box type midfielder and he will not guarentee 10 goals a season. It ends up he gets frustrated, drops back to get the ball and Boyd (Or whoever is up front gets isolated)

Rangers need to bring in a quality attacking midfielder (Scott Brown would have been ideal) then and only then will the 3 men in midfield start working. Until then, we will be frustrated.

Ive been saying for years, That in order to get the best out of Barry Ferguson, you have to play him in a 3 man midfield with a defensive midfielder and an attacking midfielder.

Some of the best displays he ever gave for us were as part of a 2 man mid.

I really disagree with this. If you think back to the Inter, Porto, Villarreal, Parma, Leverkusen etc games, his ability shone through pretty much regardless of the quality of the players around him. And those were all with 2 man midfields.

I don't think his ability has even slightly dropped. If anything, he is getting better. He was astonishing at times before the PLG saga last season. He single handedly carried us imo. And his performance against Hapoel was superb. All the above players did was increase the quality of the team as a whole. Imagine Arteta was the only one left at Ibrox of all the above; you'd probably be arguing exactly the same thing about him.

Just my opinion though.

Barry Ferguson is, when on his game, one of the best in the UK imo. If we got rid of him, we would significantly weaken the side. Without a midfield hub, like he is, in our side, where would the dictation of games come from? A player of his quality would cost a bloody fortune.