Naismith deal closure soon..... Evenig Times

RANGERS were today finally edging towards a deal for Stevie Naismith and hope to land the Kilmarnock striker at the FIFTH time of asking.

Given the tense negotiations, failed bids and counter-claims that have gone on between Ibrox and Rugby Park throughout the past seven weeks of this saga, no-one was taking anything for granted today.

But the signs are Naismith will be a Rangers player before next Wednesday's signing deadline for the Champions League tie against either Zeta or Kaunas.

Walter Smith's target has always been to have the 20-year-old (inset) in place by that time, and if it happens even quicker the Rangers boss will be happy to take it.

advertisementIt is believed the payment terms and add-on clauses have been looked at again in fresh talks between the clubs since Wednesday.

The deal is likely to net Killie £1.5m up front, with a further £300,000 in payments for appearance clauses.

That would earn Naismith his dream move, but the player is not getting his hopes up until Killie give him and his agent, Andrew McCormick, permission to talk to the Ibrox club.

At the moment, Killie boss Jim Jefferies is preparing to field Naismith for the first time in pre-season in a friendly against Dundee tomorrow.

But the manager revealed: "In writing, Rangers are a bit away. But there are one or two verbals' going on through a third party and it seems they are not far away now.

"As it stands, there is still nothing official. Until we get to that point, the important thing for me is to get one of our key players back playing football and that's likely to happen against Dundee."

Smith is also close to landing Hibs' Steven Whittaker. That deal will not be done in time for Wednesday's deadline, but the 23-year-old is likely to be a Rangers player by the time they play Inverness Caley in the SPL opener on August 4.

On the injury front, Smith revealed both Thomas Buffel and Stevie Smith will now undergo full pre- seasons before they are considered for first- team action.

It is likely to be the middle of September before either player is available as they will both need games to reach match fitness.

Meanwhile, on the Champions League front, should Montenegro champions Zeta - who lead Kanuas 3-1 from Tuesday's first game - progress, they would host Smith's side in Podgorica on Tuesday, August 7.

If Kaunas turn the deficit around, their home match against Rangers would be on Wednesday, August 8.

The first leg is at Ibrox on Tuesday, July 31 (7.45 kick-off).

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

was hoping Walt would pull out a more exciting signing before the CL deadline ...aw well

heard from a reliable source that we are close to closing a deal with italian striker pazzini for 9.5 million

for real? no offence mate but thats the most far fetched one so far this preseason, hope your right thou!

But you also have to take in account they have already lost Toni to Bayern so i'd be surprised if they let him go too!

Surely we can find someone better than Steven Whittaker FFS? He's not a right midfielder/winger, a position that is majorly lacking in quality.

I can live with signing Naismith but not Whittaker aswell, he's just a mediocre SPL player.

Surely we can find someone better than Steven Whittaker FFS? He's not a right midfielder/winger, a position that is majorly lacking in quality.

I can live with signing Naismith but not Whittaker aswell, he's just a mediocre SPL player.

exactly smells a bit like signing for the sake of it coz we cant get anyone else in time

And not signing him before the CL qualifiers isstupid. Means we have to go into them with either Burke, Sionko, Novo maybe Naismith or if Smith decides to use McCulloch or Beasley out there.

where would naismith play? I mean the fact Wattie is putting in bid after bid tells me he isnt going to be just a squad member.

LM/RM/behind the ST's or maybe even as a ST?

you mean maybe like...

-----------Thomson------------

-Naismith--Ferguson--Beasley--

--------Boyd-----Darcheville--

?

could and SHOULD be like that, beasley and naismith would be swapping aswell id imagine, gow could also come in and to the same role in either of those back 3 spots or up front

IMO it SHOULD be like that... but Wattie for no apparent reason likes 1 up top with 2 wide men and 3 CMFs which is painful

With that formation we would have a lot of shape and balance with the likes of McCulloch ,Gow ,Burke,Novo that can step in. i mean on paper it looks impressive

Whittakers a very good player.Dont dis him.You know nothing about fitba if you think hes pish.

I think Whittaker's being judged too harshly by people here as well. I think he'll make a sound addition to the squad, as he brings with him a good injection of pace with him. Good to see Wattie bringing in folks who can have a real go at the opposition - something that has been in short supply for a while now. Now if he can just ditch the lone striker up top mentality...

watched the highlights of the celtic hibs game on youtube and whittaker countlessly got forward (as he does against us and my other teams) with ease, hes really good attackin and could form a great partnership with hutton down the right, easily two of the best right sided players in the league

you mean maybe like...

-----------Thomson------------

-Naismith--Ferguson--Beasley--

--------Boyd-----Darcheville--

?

How come Boyd is included in most of you guys starting line-ups for this coming season?I've got a feeling that after a few games, he's going to become the

Buffell of last season, warming the bench for most of the year. :unsure:

Hope we do finally sign naismith but i will be really disappointed if we sign whittaker. We need an experienced international for the right side of midfield. The gap in quality between our apparent first and second choices for right midfield is massive. Faubert or whittaker..... I know who i would rather have.

Hope we do finally sign naismith but i will be really disappointed if we sign whittaker. We need an experienced international for the right side of midfield. The gap in quality between our apparent first and second choices for right midfield is massive. Faubert or whittaker..... I know who i would rather have.

At this moment in time... whittaker :P