Champions League 99/2000

A.T.G

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

An interesting question because we were on fire that season playing some terrific stuff . As others have said , Valencia were a cut above us at Ibrox but we were more than a match for Bayern . I thought our away game to them was one of the best away performances I've seen from any Rangers team where we lost to a very dubious penalty , hit the woodwork three times and Mols was assaulted by their goalkeeper . 

I think we'd have done well in the next stages , it would certainly have been close . 

6 hours ago, McEwan's Lager said:

If we had got through at Bayern’s expense we would have ended up in a second group with Real Madrid, Dynamo Kyiv and Rosenborg. I would have fancied our chances in getting through that.

We were far better than the Chelsea team that got to the quarters.

2000 2001 was more disappointing for me. Blew it at home to Monaco and away at Sturm Graz.

And at home to Galatasaray...Neil McCann header from 6 yards, easier to score, straight at the goalie away from qualification. Monaco... A Lorenzo Amoruso wander up the pitch fuck up away from qualification. 

Less said about Graz away the better.

1 minute ago, gmcf said:

An interesting question because we were on fire that season playing some terrific stuff . As others have said , Valencia were a cut above us at Ibrox but we were more than a match for Bayern . I thought our away game to them was one of the best away performances I've seen from any Rangers team where we lost to a very dubious penalty , hit the woodwork three times and Mols was assaulted by their goalkeeper . 

I think we'd have done well in the next stages , it would certainly have been close . 

Aw, say it aint so, gmcf.

Knew the Khan thing would come up but didn't think it'd be you. :depressed:

6 minutes ago, gmcf said:

:lol:  why ? Losing Mols during the game was a blow . Think I've every right to bring it up . 

More of a good tackle than an assault though, surely?

2 minutes ago, Inigo said:

More of a good tackle than an assault though, surely?

Just watched it again there . Yeah , maybe not quite an assault :lol:

FS can a guy not over exaggerate in here anymore :lol: . Still losing Mols after half an hour could well have been a game changer , he was really in form back then . 

For any of the younger bears , heres the game. 

1 hour ago, Inigo said:

And at home to Galatasaray...Neil McCann header from 6 yards, easier to score, straight at the goalie away from qualification. Monaco... A Lorenzo Amoruso wander up the pitch fuck up away from qualification. 

Less said about Graz away the better.

I sat on a bus for near 30 hours to get the Graz game and was greeted with an utterly shambolic performance complete with a fat Danish striker in goals. How we contrived not to qualify from that group after winning the first two games I still can't work out.

oh aye, then came the long return journey home. :no: 

3 hours ago, gmcf said:

Johansson probably played his best game for us that night, how the fuck we didn't win that one l'll never know?:confused:

6 hours ago, Kaydubya11 said:

Mols was going to be as good as Cruyff in my opinion

We signed him when he was 28. He only played 9 games scoring 9 goals (4 in one game). Then basically never kicked a ball for us again. Don't get me wrong, those 9 games were amazing watching him leave players 10yrds away from him with one touch, but by fuck is he the most overrated player to ever play for us. 

1 hour ago, Redwhiteandblue said:

We signed him when he was 28. He only played 9 games scoring 9 goals (4 in one game). Then basically never kicked a ball for us again. Don't get me wrong, those 9 games were amazing watching him leave players 10yrds away from him with one touch, but by fuck is he the most overrated player to ever play for us. 

Are you saying he contributed nothing for us after his injury? Wow! 

19 hours ago, Billy1984 said:

Are you saying he contributed nothing for us after his injury? Wow! 

Not nothing, but not a lot. If he only played for us after his injury, he would be seen as one of our worst strikers. He had 9 amazing games, so good that it has clouded folk judgement of him. Cruyff ffs? C'mon. 38 goals in 100 games. Some return for over £4m. Boyd cost £400,000. All I'm saying. Take away his pre injury record and you're left with 29 goals in 91 games. That is pretty poor. 

1 hour ago, Redwhiteandblue said:

Not nothing, but not a lot. If he only played for us after his injury, he would be seen as one of our worst strikers. He had 9 amazing games, so good that it has clouded folk judgement of him. Cruyff ffs? C'mon. 38 goals in 100 games. Some return for over £4m. Boyd cost £400,000. All I'm saying. Take away his pre injury record and you're left with 29 goals in 91 games. That is pretty poor. 

If it was only goals he was contributing it would be poor. He played his part in league titles and cup wins and some of the best days I've had following Rangers. He certainly wasn't the player he could of been after his injury but to call him poor and one of our worst ever strikers is absolutely bonkers. 

50 minutes ago, Billy1984 said:

If it was only goals he was contributing it would be poor. He played his part in league titles and cup wins and some of the best days I've had following Rangers. He certainly wasn't the player he could of been after his injury but to call him poor and one of our worst ever strikers is absolutely bonkers. 

I never called him one of our worst ever strikers, I said if we signed him after his injury he would be seen as one of our worst ever strikers. He was brutal after that injury. He could barely put a run of games together without getting injured again, he had no pace, he lost THAT turn. In short, he was pretty brutal. It wasn't just his pace and turn he lost, he also lost that famous smile he had. 

On 05/11/2017 at 02:17, hammer93 said:

Mendieta didn't give Barry Ferguson a kick that night, back then fergie had taken a good few big scalps but mendieta was a class above

That was the making of Barry Ferguson that night, he got taught a lesson and I think he became a better player for it, that performance from Mendieta was the best midfield performance I've ever seen at Ibrox from an opposition player.