Barry Ferguson coming back to Ibrox

Lloyd

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Under normal circumstances theres no need to fill key positions in the club with bluenoses, but this is far from normal circumstances. We are faced with an  extremely hostile establishment and press, most clubs and their support are anti Rangers. 

Its time to have guys who care about the club onboard,  guys who know how to handle the press and what it takes to be a successful Rangers player. 

I wouldn't think that BF would get in the way of a Scottish manager like DM as the situation would get resolved in the Scottish way. Oot the back. The folk mentioned would certainly see the mentality coming back to something familiar to what it was prior to our last 4 or 5 interim managers.

I like the idea of Goram in the tunnel ready to whack any cunt that hugged a taig.

9 hours ago, philiprfc said:

I'm interested to know from the people saying no to this what the downsides would be? (Assuming JJ doesn't get papped in favour of him)

Club would be paying money to a guy with no obvious coaching ability or track record.  if we want a cheerleader, there's a guy with a megaphone at the front of the Broomloan. 

8 minutes ago, Trooblue said:

Club would be paying money to a guy with no obvious coaching ability or track record.  if we want a cheerleader, there's a guy with a megaphone at the front of the Broomloan. 

Yes but the guy in Broomloan front hasn't captained and won multiple trophies with us, appeared the record number of times for us in Europe and captained us in a European final. We can all shout and support the team but younger players would immediately look up to him. I understand what you're saying, and I totally get that he is far from everyones cup of tea and I dislike jobs for the boys but i'd like to think someone steeped in the traditions and more importantly standards expected by our club could have a role. He was a notorious moaner whenever standards slipped which is exactly what we've been lacking. Nobody is suggesting he should be coaching or picking teams...but I think ex-players used in the correct way can be important. 

1 minute ago, DrLaudrup said:

Yes but the guy in Broomloan front hasn't captained and won multiple trophies with us, appeared the record number of times for us in Europe and captained us in a European final. We can all shout and support the team but younger players would immediately look up to him. I understand what you're saying, and I totally get that he is far from everyones cup of tea and I dislike jobs for the boys but i'd like to think someone steeped in the traditions and more importantly standards expected by our club could have a role. He was a notorious moaner whenever standards slipped which is exactly what we've been lacking. Nobody is suggesting he should be coaching or picking teams...but I think ex-players used in the correct way can be important. 

I've nothing against ex-players being used in the correct way, and the employment of JJ is an excellent example of this. The difference with Ferguson is that he is a divisive figure, with no track record of success in any capacity beyond his playing days. I have no way of telling whether the stories about his negative impact on younger players around him when he was captain, and when he was coaching at Clyde, are true, but if they are, then I would seriously doubt that he could inspire our young guys. 

JJ barely had any successful coaching skills but is lauded. Ferguson is many things but the guys a winner. We have been devoid of any winners in our managerial set up for some time. A guy from.the desert and a city trader. We need winners. I'd fill the coaching roles with winners and I'd also have Murty in with them.

Experiments are over, we don't need a revolutionary we just need people who get what we face in the next three years 

2 minutes ago, Rfc52 said:

JJ barely had any successful coaching skills but is lauded. Ferguson is many things but the guys a winner. We have been devoid of any winners in our managerial set up for some time. A guy from.the desert and a city trader. We need winners. I'd fill the coaching roles with winners and I'd also have Murty in with them.

Experiments are over, we don't need a revolutionary we just need people who get what we face in the next three years 

Ferguson was a loser at Blackpool and Clyde. 

7 minutes ago, Trooblue said:

Have a look at his performance at Clyde, and then tell me that this guy had any coaching ability. 

I didn't watch Clyde closely nor did I take too much of a notice of.the 3rd division.

Maybe he wasn't cut out for management but is a.good coach. One thing is dicks like us online wont know if he's a good coach or not.

Id.imagine the next manager will want winners round about him. There hasn't been many bigger winners at Rangers than Ferguson in the last 25 years 

29 minutes ago, Rfc52 said:

Feeguson is far too similar to McInness, we just don't need another guy who 'gets it' because he played for Rangers or was a winner as a player even though he's done poorly as a coach.

JJ was brought in because Pedro was foreign and as we needed someone who had some local knowledge and some European experience, which he had from being assistant coach for Finland and doing quite a bit of scouting for them. Having a knowledge of these markets helped us get Morelos, although that should be the DoF remit going forward.

Purely based on his coaching pedigree I can't see Ferguson bringing much to the table. I'd completely agree with bringing some of the 9IAR guys or people like Ferguson into the dressing room to tell the players what it's about to play for Rangers, but we definitely don't need to bring in a guy who 'knows what is about to win for Rangers' when we'd have two in McInnes and JJ already in place.