DOF signing the players from now on?

KingKirk

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, psb07158 said:

That's generally what a Director of Football does...the manager has input and at some clubs the manager has final sign-off but it is the DoF who identifies and pursues targets. 

I thought it was other way about manager tells DOF who he wants and within reason the DOF goes and does the deal ?

Right we have 3 midfielders here pick what one you want really? what if he wants none of them?

2 minutes ago, RDFM said:

Considering we don't have a manager then he will aye, he shouldn't though when we have an actual manager in charge.

not sure thats how it works anymore - the manager says he needs a left back, the DoF goes and gets a list of left backs we can afford, then him and the manager prioritise them and the DoF tries to sign the top priorities...

1 minute ago, cushynumber said:

not sure thats how it works anymore - the manager says he needs a left back, the DoF goes and gets a list of left backs we can afford, then him and the manager prioritise them and the DoF tries to sign the top priorities...

The manager asks for a player, the DoF and scouting team compile a list of players that suit what the manager asks for along with the general club ethos, the manager picks from that list. 

2 minutes ago, KingKirk said:

I thought it was other way about manager tells DOF who he wants and within reason the DOF goes and does the deal ?

Right we have 3 midfielders here pick what one you want really? what if he wants none of them?

Nope. Manager will identify areas in the team he wants strengthened. If the DoF agrees, he'll identify and pursue targets. Manager may or may not get final sign-off on that player. 

It's the way European clubs have operated for years and years. Recruitment is not the manager's responsibility in the setup. Coaching the first team is. I think most British managers would absolutely demand to have final sign-off on transfers, but in Europe it's less accepted that they do. 

2 minutes ago, psb07158 said:

Nope. Manager will identify areas in the team he wants strengthened. If the DoF agrees, he'll identify and pursue targets. Manager may or may not get final sign-off on that player. 

It's the way European clubs have operated for years and years. Recruitment is not the manager's responsibility in the setup. Coaching the first team is. I think most British managers would absolutely demand to have final sign-off on transfers, but in Europe it's less accepted that they do. 

:megaanguish:car crash waiting to happen IMO this guy was the head of city's academy I have my doubts about him doing the job 

3 minutes ago, KingKirk said:

Its rotten IMO head coach to train them DOF signs them.

Think it was you that suggested Mclaren would work well if that was his role :lol:

He would. His strength has always been his coaching on the training pitch. It’s everything else he’s a disaster at :lol: 

9 minutes ago, cushynumber said:

Nice easy and simple with 2 or 3 heads involved instead of just one over inflated ego of a manager. 

Why folk can’t see this as a good thing is beyond me, also it keeps Robertson well away so it’s all good. 

Just now, Courtyard Bear said:

Nice easy and simple with 2 or 3 heads involved instead of just one over inflated ego of a manager. 

Why folk can’t see this as a good thing is beyond me, also it keeps Robertson well away so it’s all good. 

Aye 2 or 3 people having to come to an agreement over which players to sign is simpler than letting the manager pick the players he wants at his disposal :lol: 

1 minute ago, Courtyard Bear said:

I assume he takes responsibility if they fail and walks away:whistle:If a manager is sacked etc on results then IMO signings should be his job. Every manager that fails can say they weren't his players if he had a say none would be at the club then what? Sack DOF start again ? Its about time we got a fuckin grip 

Why would our caretaker manager be in charge of recruitment? Of course our DOF and scouting department should be in charge of recruitment, building a database of suitable players so that when a manager comes in there is a list of potential players available.

It's worked for Man City, Chelsea, Madrid, Southampton and countless others. Why shouldn't we modernise the club? 

Some folk on here love a moan.

Just now, Gustav said:

No it doesn't, it increases the chances of a manager having to work with players he might not want to.

Tough titty for the manager. After the players that Warbs and Pedro landed us with, I'd rather the catering staff signed the next batch of players.

Just now, FSM said:

Tough titty for the manager. After the players that Warbs and Pedro landed us with, I'd rather the catering staff signed the next batch of players.

Hopefully that isn't the boards attitude because nobody with any self respect is going to take the job.

Make sure you appoint the right manager and you don't have to worry about this sort of nonsense.

6 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Aye very simple and cuts down on the chance of a manager bringing in shit. 

Ask spurs fans how they felt 90million was spent when they sold bale that was the DOF. Unless you have a bottomless pit of cash mate the DOF system wont work