DOF signing the players from now on?

KingKirk

7 minutes ago, KingKirk said:

I assume he takes responsibility if they fail and walks away:whistle:If a manager is sacked etc on results then IMO signings should be his job. Every manager that fails can say they weren't his players if he had a say none would be at the club then what? Sack DOF start again ? Its about time we got a fuckin grip 

You really aren’t grasping how this works are you. 

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a thought (that someone might have already said but I haven't seen it anywhere), could it have been this that caused McInnes to back out of taking the manager's job?

The mind boggles at the dross that McInnes would have signed if he had a free rein.

2 minutes ago, KingKirk said:

Ask spurs fans how they felt 90million was spent when they sold bale that was the DOF. Unless you have a bottomless pit of cash mate the DOF system wont work

Bollocks. 

So if you don’t have a bottomless pit of cash it makes more sense to leave it to one guy who could be out the door in 6 months. 

2 minutes ago, Gustav said:

Hopefully that isn't the boards attitude because nobody with any self respect is going to take the job.

Make sure you appoint the right manager and you don't have to worry about this sort of nonsense.

Maybe it's more about keeping check on the manager's signing suggestions. So rather than just blindly going out and signing a Waghorn or a Rossiter on the manager's say-so, the DOF spends a bit of time doing proper research on the player and has final sign off to make sure we're not signing duds or crocks. Given how many millions we've wasted over the years paying off said duds and crocks, I don't see a bit of control as being a bad thing.

Just now, FSM said:

Here's a thought (that soneone might have already said but I haven't seen it anywhere), could it have been this that caused McInnes to back out of taking the manager's job?

The mind boggles at the dross that McInnes would have signed if he had a free rein.

According to @K.A.I that is the reason.

If we had a track record of signing quality players that increased in value over the last 5 years then I could see some peoples point. We don't and rather we have had AM, MW and Pedro sign a raft of players with a lot of them not working out.

We don't have a manager right now but we do have a DOF and scouting department building up a database which hopefully includes all our opposition as well as the likes of England and Europe.

That way when we do have one and they identify areas that need filled we should have options ready to look at. I simply see this as positive.

I would see it as an issue if the DOF starts having the authority to sign players without any input from a manager

The DOF, for me, has one window to win me over. He’s done very little in the role so far to justify his wage and stature at the club. 

DJ has been a decent signing but he’s hardly been exceptional. 

He needs to get this right in January if he is identifying and signing players. 

IMO though, it’s only gona go tits up unless we sign a manager who has a successful history of working under a DOF, and they are few and far between

20 minutes ago, Gustav said:

Aye 2 or 3 people having to come to an agreement over which players to sign is simpler than letting the manager pick the players he wants at his disposal :lol: 

Its not simpler but it's less likely to make a howling cunt of it. In any walk of life someone making big decisions should have another person ratifying them.

There is a big difference between identifying targets and picking which players to make a move for and then agreeing contracts etc and I think this is where a lot of people seem to be getting mixed up.

Manager wants a left winger. Dof and scouts have already identified targets within our financial reach and fit into the play style culture if our team. 

Manger is then presented with the list of players and picks who he wants to move for and player B and player C

Dof then actually signs the players.

1 minute ago, K.A.I said:

I’ve got sources but dicks like you would rather make puns than listen to what reliable people say 

I call it the Kenny Miller neighbour syndrome 

Simmer doon love. Anyone coming onto the internet with the "I've got sources" patter is just asking for the 'scowl of suspicion'.

7 minutes ago, FSM said:

Simmer doon love. Anyone coming onto the internet with the "I've got sources" patter is just asking for the 'scowl of suspicion'.

Absolutely no context there 

let me remind you of the timeline ..

the op made a thread asking for reasons, I made a massive list 

you then later said one of my reasons on the list was trivial 

I said losing out on a top transfer target because of King not being contactable isn’t trivial it’s negligible 

you then said I got my sources down the pub 

I told you it’s from the players agent who is also a bluenose 

you drew the patter/sources out and couldn’t handle it when told and then said you’ve no idea how to respond so you are backing out 

you come back in saying shite like Paul Murray answers his phone like it’s great patter 

mate as I said people like you will always live with your head in the sand you can’t sit there and try to move goalposts on me over situations you’ve created 

5 minutes ago, Gerwelly said:

There is a big difference between identifying targets and picking which players to make a move for and then agreeing contracts etc and I think this is where a lot of people seem to be getting mixed up.

Manager wants a left winger. Dof and scouts have already identified targets within our financial reach and fit into the play style culture if our team. 

Manger is then presented with the list of players and picks who he wants to move for and player B and player C

They wouldn't be a target if we didn't want to move for them 

5 minutes ago, Gerwelly said:

They wouldn't be a target if we didn't want to move for them