DOF signing the players from now on?

KingKirk

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, K.A.I said:

To be fair all you do is accuse people of lying - you’ve done it with boarding passes at airports and sources - you struggle with things that don’t fit your mindset 

And here it comes.....

This is where you let yourself down bud. Great at ranting and compiling big like-magnet lists, but put you in a debate setting and it eventually ends up with name calling and snidey insults. Go on, tell me I have my head in the sand again, still a bit of mileage left in that one.

Just now, BridgeIsBlue said:

So we're honestly expecting a youth coach who is caretaker manager atm identify and possibly bring in players in a transfer window which is only weeks away? 

I'd expect the new guy to be in and given a group to work with mate. DOF will be bringing in the players.

2 hours ago, FSM said:

Here's a thought (that someone might have already said but I haven't seen it anywhere), could it have been this that caused McInnes to back out of taking the manager's job?

The mind boggles at the dross that McInnes would have signed if he had a free rein.

Rumour has it he was handed a list of players we were targeting and he said he wouldn't sign then for Aberdeen let alone Rangers.

Just now, OhW said:

It's set up for the media already. We buy a player and he turns out shite, the story will be "did the manager sign him or did the DoF?"

I think its strange that people worry about a manager buying players, but are happy to let some suit who's never managed a team pick the players.

'Some suit' does not pick the players. The manager/coach has input and if he says no that is that.

Just now, OneDavidCooper said:

That makes no sense

It does if you think about a DoF still thinking he's the manager and trying to pick the team every week, like Craig Levein did at Hearts. I never think it's a good idea that a DoF is an ex manager. 

9 minutes ago, GersInCanada said:

'Some suit' does not pick the players. The manager/coach has input and if he says no that is that.

In some club structures players are foisted on the manager. Dennis Wise brought in a player at Newcastle who Kevin Keegan didn't want and he ended up playing once and released on a free. There are many other examples where it is has been said that this sort of system applies.

Unless the manager / coach implicitly trusts the judgement of the DoF it is doomed to failure. The only way it can work is if the DOF works closely with the coach/manager with the latter having the final say; something you advocate above, but that is not always the case, particularly abroad.

1 minute ago, GersInCanada said:

Murtys presser from today.

"We're in daily discussions, but as it comes closer to that time and to individual players, you'll have to talk to Mark because he's in charge of that side of it at the moment in our current set-up.