*Official Rangers v St Johnstone Match Thread*

BridgeIsBlue

• Replies 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Essandoh said:

I’d much rather start Pena in behind than even consider starting Herrera or Hardie up top with Morelos. Plus, he’ll do damage.

Did you watch the Ross County game? Anyway I’d rather play Candeias!

Just now, B1872 said:

He wasn’t playing in behind. He was central midfield and being sat far too deep. He was never going to do well. Different formation, different game. I’d start him.

I like Candeias though so I wouldn’t be against that!

2 minutes ago, B1872 said:

Yeah I watched him make clever runs for 45 minutes and neither Holt, Candeias or Mcrorie ever tried to find him.

He didn't do anything against Aberdeen that he didn't do against Ross County.

"our play into our little MF overlord...."

6 hours ago, fanaticCR said:

Never done that yet, enjoy. Hopefully return home with 3 points

We should all do.it mate.

Probably barred for life after it but defo should put 20 away a month or so and do it towards season's end

Woke up this morning absolutely  buzzing! Still can’t believe if we win today we are only 2 points behind the greatest team that’s ever played the game. Solid 2-0 although our last 3 games have all finished 2-1 which is messing with my head on what to put on today. EVERY SATURDAY WE FOLLOW! ??

14 minutes ago, B1872 said:

Pena? This the first game you’re about to see us play FS!

No. I’ve said before many times that i’m Not Peña’s biggest fan but if you can get him in and around the box he does offer something. With Miller and Dorrans out the only other option in there for me would be Candeias out of position and I’ve gone for Peña. We may see a change of shape today if Murty wants to start with Candeias rather than Peña. 

Just now, Cobham said:

No. I’ve said before many times that i’m Not Peña’s biggest fan but if you can get him in and around the box he does offer something. With Miller and Dorrans our the only other option in there for me would be Candeias out of position and I’ve went for Peña. We may see a change of shape today if Murty wants to start with Candeias rather than Peña. 

Just think we need someone who touches the ball more than 10 times a game.

Just now, B1872 said:

Need players behind him brave enough to make the kinds of passes required to find him in the areas where he can hurt teams. We did that against the sheep shaggers at Ibrox and he looked a player.

Just now, B1872 said:

I agree. I think Peña’s overall contribution is lacking but there is no doubt that he makes intelligent runs and can score goals. The problem is our lack of options and I would like to keep the diamond midfield so Peña it is until we have more players available or change formation. 

11 minutes ago, Getstiffed said:

Need players behind him brave enough to make the kinds of passes required to find him in the areas where he can hurt teams. We did that against the sheep shaggers at Ibrox and he looked a player.

There’s no space for him to run in to when we play these teams and he isn’t good enough to hold the ball up. Second half against Ross County is how we should set up. Tav and Candeias firing crosses in from the first minute to two strikers. 

1 minute ago, B1872 said:

There’s no space for him to run in to when we play these teams and he isn’t good enough to hold the ball up. Second half against Ross County is how we should set up. Tav and Candeias firing crosses in from the first minute to two strikers. 

Go back and watch the first half against County, he finds cracking wee positions in the final third constantly. Our MF that day wasn't playing with heads up at all. That's the point. We need to unlock these defences, we're not doing that firing balls into their box that their big clugger CB's just boot fuck out of. We need clever movement to shunt them about and create room for our strikers.

21 minutes ago, Cobham said:

I agree. I think Peña’s overall contribution is lacking but there is no doubt that he makes intelligent runs and can score goals. The problem is our lack of options and I would like to keep the diamond midfield so Peña it is until we have more players available or change formation. 

To keep the diamond I think it is more about whether we play Candeias on the right. He doesn't suit it and I suspect if Murty uses him it'll be a 4-2-3-1.  If he goes with a diamond with someone else on the right then Pena in the forward position is still a decent option imo, although Windass could play there.

Archived