Buying and selling - we seriously need to improve (avoid if you don't want to see the Tim's mentioned)

j1mgg

This seems to be an area that I never really remember us ever being good at, always remover alot of pay-offs.

It is something many teams in Scotland manage to do well at, or at least from my memory, be it youth or players brought in.

Anyhow, just reading dick boy could go to Liverpool for £75m, which the Tim's will get about £7.5m, add that to paper talk if dembelle goes for even £15m, then that is another £22m they have brought in which not a great outlay of money.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If there is one financial positive in Scottish football it’s that we border the richest football league on the planet. 

Scouting and development are critically essential to our future prospects. Two potential success stories right now are Morelos and McCrorie. For us to prosper in the coming seasons then both these elements have to be spot on. 

One other aspect is selling at the right time and being tough and wily negotiators. The Barrie McKay transfer was another example of this board’s incompetence. Changes are needed in there. 

some championship side will offer a couple million for Morelos and well bite their hand off for it without adding a sell on clause

The taigs aren't just better at buying and selling they are simply a better run club than Rangers and will probably be that way for years to come. They have a good business model whereas we are literally just winging it

Celtics board is miles better and cares much more about it's club and fans than ours does by a country mile

12 minutes ago, With Heart and Hand said:

some championship side will offer a couple million for Morelos and well bite their hand off for it without adding a sell on clause

The taigs aren't just better at buying and selling they are simply a better run club than Rangers and will probably be that way for years to come. They have a good business model whereas we are literally just winging it

Celtics board is miles better and cares much more about it's club and fans than ours does by a country mile

Sad but true alas. 

I want to see us get to a position where we don't have to sell players - the worrying thing as a poster mentioned above is that if a club comes in the likes of morelos or mccrorie with an offer we would probably take it in January.

We sold Mckay to the championship for 500k whilst they sold Johansen for about 2m to Fulham.

The problem is that for over a decade now, even longer, our financial shits have been well documented, everyone knew we were in the shit, however when the tims miss the CL and are forced to sell big money players, its still made out like they dont have to, hence why clubs don't rip the piss out of them

Plus we've had a succession of CEO's that were mongos 

2 hours ago, With Heart and Hand said:

Actually think they are the same as our board when it comes to fans - don't really care about them apart from utilising pr to milk every last penny. Their board are however streets ahead of us when it comes to running their club like a business. Transfers, season tickets, merchandise, etc are all maximised which bugs the tits off of me as all you need to do is appoint a top notch team for finance, promotion and merchandising on both the team and business side.

Pay top dollar as that is the one area that will pay for itself many times over as can be seen just now. Still why should we worry as we have PM and SR. The dream team - or is that nightmare.

We buy a load of shite players that none wants to buy.  If we bought good players that we could sell then maybe a sell on fee would be possible.  Even if we do buy a good player we can't coach them and they end up going backwards.  In most cases, when a bid does come in we're just happy to take the money and get rid.  The last time we sold a player I was gutted about was Jelavic.

celtic have had better scouts and unearthed numerous talented players over the years.  We've only just set up a scouting network and it's up to John Brown to find the players.  We had the opportunity to bring John Park straight from celtic but sadly we've fucked that up.

2 hours ago, With Heart and Hand said:

It may make for uncomfortable reading for some but for all their many faults it was the scums fanbase that initiated all that's right with their club......thats fact wither you choose to a accept it or not that is fact. Not Mccann,  not lawell it was just tarriers who decided amongst themselves enough is enough. 

They hit rock bottom, united in sufficient numbers to force change and made it happen. I believe I'm  among the most bitter detractors of cfc on here but even I can't deny the truth. 

Different times, different financial era but if the will is there it can be done .

We should have gotten more for McKay even if he was a shitebag.

McCrorie will be worth a decent fee eventually if his progress continues. Tbh as shite as we currently are the most of the team are still worth over a million each in modern footballing terms but we as a club value players at a really abysmal standard

Morelos is our jewel in the crown. If he continues banging them in then he will be worth plenty. Its interesting though the comparison between the taigs and us in the media - last year at this time Dembele was the next messiah - and he hadn't scored much more than waghorn or Miller. This year Morelos is top of the charts and its basically silence from the media/club.

We need to market our players far better - even tav - I think he has the most assists in the league but its almost hidden from sight and all you hear is how brilliant Tierney is. Its not good enough marketing by a long long way

12 minutes ago, cushynumber said:

Morelos is our jewel in the crown. If he continues banging them in then he will be worth plenty. Its interesting though the comparison between the taigs and us in the media - last year at this time Dembele was the next messiah - and he hadn't scored much more than waghorn or Miller. This year Morelos is top of the charts and its basically silence from the media/club.

We need to market our players far better - even tav - I think he has the most assists in the league but its almost hidden from sight and all you hear is how brilliant Tierney is. Its not good enough marketing by a long long way

I think a large part of it is to do with European football , even if they do get humped every game. 

We are further behind them off the park than on it and thats saying something.

They are implementing changes and have been doing so for years, behind the scenes that we probably haven't even considered.  From Scouting, to youth set up to marketing and PR.

We need major investment.  Atleast 50 million just for the foundations.

4 minutes ago, j1mgg said:

I think a large part of it is to do with European football , even if they do get humped every game. 

partially, but regardless of that, and what they do - we have to get better by ourselves for ourselves. let the buyers be the judge of whether European football is the benchmark

I think we have to re-think our strategy . 

Weve been buying players that suit individual managers as opposed to Rangers as a whole . When the manager goes , which has been quite frequent recently , then it's usually a clear out of cut price sales , or loans , which we probably still contribute towards . Financially , it's killing us . 

Like I say , we have to re-think our strategy which tbf I think we might be starting to do with the new DoF position , as unpopular that may be to some . We have to have a footballing style that we want as representative of Rangers , an ethos or plan right through the set up from the youths to the first team . So when a youngster comes through , he's ready . We recruit , manager or players , what suits that style . ie we need to look at players that suit Rangers as a whole and not an individual manager . 

Managers can come and go but we need to maintain some sort of fluidity player wise as opposed to wholesale changes every change of manager . 

They have made the blueprint, its harder to come up with a plan than it is to copy someone elses, look at them and copy what they have done.

It shouldn't be too hard for the board. We need to start buy getting our hands on all the best youth in Scotland, promise them top flight exposure and be damned with the league as long as its top 4 and european football, instead of buying golden oldies at huge prices in wages to complete for a year or two. 

7 minutes ago, Jonathan1872 said:

It shouldn't be too hard for the board. We need to start buy getting our hands on all the best youth in Scotland, promise them top flight exposure and be damned with the league as long as its top 4 and european football, instead of buying golden oldies at huge prices in wages to complete for a year or two. 

This is what we should've been doing in Division 3.  We could've worked our way back in to the top-tier with youth alone and kept our money until we were ready to compete again.  It's staggering how many millions we spent trying to win the lower leagues of Scotland, and even then, got stuck in the Championship for an additional year.

33 minutes ago, gmcf said:

I think we have to re-think our strategy . 

Weve been buying players that suit individual managers as opposed to Rangers as a whole . When the manager goes , which has been quite frequent recently , then it's usually a clear out of cut price sales , or loans , which we probably still contribute towards . Financially , it's killing us . 

Like I say , we have to re-think our strategy which tbf I think we might be starting to do with the new DoF position , as unpopular that may be to some . We have to have a footballing style that we want as representative of Rangers , an ethos or plan right through the set up from the youths to the first team . So when a youngster comes through , he's ready . We recruit , manager or players , what suits that style . ie we need to look at players that suit Rangers as a whole and not an individual manager . 

Managers can come and go but we need to maintain some sort of fluidity player wise as opposed to wholesale changes every change of manager . 

This is what a DoF is for.