David Bates

Dan Deacon

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

41 minutes ago, SwallowsHisOwnSpunk said:

Bates played very well today but he has looked a bombscare on most other occasions.

Broadfoot played out of position at Right Back in a team that got to a European Final and had great success Domestically over a number of years. He hardly put a foot (his throw ins were shite though) wrong very rarely did he let us down defensively. He wasn’t the most skillfull or talented of players but he’s way ahead of Bates.

Sure Broadfoot was surrounded by better players but there’s no way Bates would have got near that team.

Hard to compare them, but I’d never say anyone reminded me of Broadfoot unless they were dumb enough to not use a microwave properly or throw a ball properly ?.

1 hour ago, magic8ball said:

bang on.hes an accident waiting to happen when you look at him .

but 10 months in we are still waiting on this accident .

reminds me of a defensive Ted McMinn.looks awful but does the job 

well done young Bates

You obviously didn't watch the Kilmarnock game, then.

Bottom line is that CB is the hardest position to learn and it is not surprising that Bates has made some mistakes.  What he does have is height, pace and guts - none of those things can be coached.  Positioning can be, so developing him alongside Wilson (who doesn't have height or pace but seems to be able to keep fit, at least) is far more sensible than letting Alves use us as a training camp for the World Cup

9 minutes ago, Junior Soprano said:

Until the next game

As it should be.

Play very well, retain jersey until others (ie the bigger profile names) deserve it more or you deserve to lose it.

I'm a huge critic of Bates but he was my motm today and deserves to keep the jersey on our first game back even if others are fit.

Bates in and Alves can get to fuck.

That boy turned in a performance. Smply just imposed himself and played like someone f great experience. Solid! Get him started every week and build him into a stalwart in our defence.

Good to see these young guys maturing. We also have much more to come from McCrorie and John and I look forward to it.

12 minutes ago, MikeBlue said:

Bottom line is that CB is the hardest position to learn and it is not surprising that Bates has made some mistakes.  What he does have is height, pace and guts - none of those things can be coached.  Positioning can be, so developing him alongside Wilson (who doesn't have height or pace but seems to be able to keep fit, at least) is far more sensible than letting Alves use us as a training camp for the World Cup

Wilson a big lad 6ft1 or 2 I'm sure.

Just now, Smile said:

Bates has never really let us down people mistake his awkward style for him playing badly.

That's true but he simply doesn't ever look comfortable with the ball or running or doing anything a football player should look comfortable doing.

However fall all that he was there when we needed him most long may it continue.

5 minutes ago, Smile said:

Bates has never really let us down people mistake his awkward style for him playing badly.

He got away with letting us down hivs away with a stupid act that should have been a pen against us.  That was stupidity not style. And against progres I thought like most others he was shite.

But by contrast, motm today and as I say deserves all the praise going and should keep the jersey for 1st game after the break.

sometimes you need to play in a game like that - and play well - for it to finally click that you are good enough for that stage. Maybe today was bates watershed moment. It's up to him now, to keep getting better. There's nothing I would like more than to see him,  the McRororie brothers, Wilson, Barjonas all in a good Rangers team - but they have to be good enough - not think that because they are in the team thats the be all and end all, because it takes more than that

10 minutes ago, Smile said:

You said he didn't have height but Wilson always been a big lad even at seventeen, Just nonsense from you. 

It's not nonsense, it just depends on what you regard as a tall CB.  Wilson is not a dominant CB in the air, never has been. 

Doesn't mean he's a bad player - there's plenty of CBs who have been very successful who are smaller than him.

I think he played very well today and has been having a good season, but I do think he does need to be paired with a CB who can dominate in aerial challenges as it's not his forte.

Like Bates (and Alves as it happens)

45 minutes ago, Marky. said:

Hard to compare them, but I’d never say anyone reminded me of Broadfoot unless they were dumb enough to not use a microwave properly or throw a ball properly ?.

I started the Broadfoot comparison :)

Its just the way Bates messes up when he tries to be fancy... but is really decent when he does his job. 

Clear the danger, protect the keeper.

50 minutes ago, MikeBlue said:

admittedly I was half pished watching killie game.and it's rare I have a drink watching the game these days 

would agree that Bates needs to play with Wilson more regular .Alves is ok but doesn't give us anything that others can do just aswell if not better 

3 hours ago, King_gazza said:

His covering was top notch.

Think Candeias was in for a shout for MOTM too. He put in some shift.

Thought Bates was MOTM and seeing Candeias chase down to the corner flag and scrap for the ball lifted my spirits.

Topped his Aberdeen performance today and has surprised many , myself included, with the standards he's setting. Seems to perform better against the better teams and struggles when we have more of the ball as his distribution needs work. Reminds me of John Brown in that regard, now if he could add a goal or two to his game like Bomber we'd definitely have a player there.