Can we now drop Boyd with the players we've brought in?

Boab

I'm not a Boyd hater although it would be nice if he improved his link play and got better at flick ons but the bottom line is that he scores goals and very well. Goals do win games.

Why the point of the thread? Well, will you now feel more fine with Boyd out of the team or even encourage it, with the new players that have came in?

Put it, this way, last season we had Sebo and Novo as standby's and now we have - among others - Gow and JCD as back-up? And even McCulloch as a good lone front man if KB is injured?

What do you think?

Boyd scores goals, goals win games.

HOWEVER with the players brought in, Boyd must realise he is not indispensable to the team so he must keep up the hard work and start banging in the goals again this season.

We could if hes not playing well we at least have players who can come in for him although i still think hes the best goalscorer at the club so i reckon he will play the majority of the matches unless hes injured/suspended.

We should not be defining ourselves as Allan/Barry/Kris 'lovers' or 'haters', and nor should there be any 'guilt' about dropping players on the dubious grounds of being 'dyed in the wool' or 'lifelong' Rangers fans who are therefore bigger than the Club and know better than any management decision. The hype surrounding these three has reached such ludicrous levels that ANY criticism, no matter how justified or constructive, is met by shrill hysteria.

The usual excuse for Boyd is as long he scores goals then that makes his on-field indifference OK. Sorry lads, that is not the case. Scoring goals in Champions League is a different kettle of cod from doing it in the SPL. As Boyd discovered (but did not learn) v Valencia, you get one chance at top level and that is very often it. I'm not blaming Boyd for our exit that season, but what I'm saying is that top level European football requires a whole lot more than the 'bread and butter' of the SPL.

Rangers simply cannot afford anymore humilating CL exits that were part and parcel of Walter's first period in charge. The difference between the CL and Uefa Cup is night and day. Tell me, if we end up crashing out of Europe how many of us are going to be sitting around lamenting on a missed chance and what if...?

Every pass is vital at Rangers. I'll be the first to admire Boyd's scoring record, but now its time to play with the big boys. If Boyd, or anyone else, cannot be bothered to do anything more than the SPL approved bare minimum than he should be dropped and make way for someone who is prepared to put in a shift.

Come on Kris, and come Rangers, prove me wrong!

If Boyd is being used as a target man, which admitidly he is not great at, then we do have a capable replacement in McCulloch.

However, for his goals, I have my doubts. I do not think we have the players capable of matching or even competing with him in terms of goals. Therefore, no, I don't think we can or should drop him.

I can see us dropping Boyd... Is it just me or has he been missing sitters since the end of last season (Even against Georgia with Scotland...)

But Boyd's in the team for the moment... but he needs to deliver or he will be dropped... I can see it happening... But it's up to him.

We should not be defining ourselves as Allan/Barry/Kris 'lovers' or 'haters', and nor should there be any 'guilt' about dropping players on the dubious grounds of being 'dyed in the wool' or 'lifelong' Rangers fans who are therefore bigger than the Club and know better than any management decision. The hype surrounding these three has reached such ludicrous levels that ANY criticism, no matter how justified or constructive, is met by shrill hysteria.

The usual excuse for Boyd is as long he scores goals then that makes his on-field indifference OK. Sorry lads, that is not the case. Scoring goals in Champions League is a different kettle of cod from doing it in the SPL. As Boyd discovered (but did not learn) v Valencia, you get one chance at top level and that is very often it. I'm not blaming Boyd for our exit that season, but what I'm saying is that top level European football requires a whole lot more than the 'bread and butter' of the SPL.

Rangers simply cannot afford anymore humilating CL exits that were part and parcel of Walter's first period in charge. The difference between the CL and Uefa Cup is night and day. Tell me, if we end up crashing out of Europe how many of us are going to be sitting around lamenting on a missed chance and what if...?

Every pass is vital at Rangers. I'll be the first to admire Boyd's scoring record, but now its time to play with the big boys. If Boyd, or anyone else, cannot be bothered to do anything more than the SPL approved bare minimum than he should be dropped and make way for someone who is prepared to put in a shift.

Just to pour cold water on your post is that it relies explicitly on the Champions League as a barometer. Well, a certain Ally McCoist never scored a single goal in the CL group stage.

But according to your logic, we should have benched arguably our greatest ever striker...

I'm not a Boyd hater although it would be nice if he improved his link play and got better at flick ons but the bottom line is that he scores goals and very well. Goals do win games.

Why the point of the thread? Well, will you now feel more fine with Boyd out of the team or even encourage it, with the new players that have came in?

Put it, this way, last season we had Sebo and Novo as standby's and now we have - among others - Gow and JCD as back-up? And even McCulloch as a good lone front man if KB is injured?

What do you think?

I think it's clear that Boyd has a use. He will get us goals in the SPL, and he may get them in the CL - but we have more than one quality striker and therefore more than one option. We don't have to rely on Boyd - but he remains an integral part of the squad and to bin him would just be silly.

On a positive note -- at least we now have some choices.... Can't be a bad thing. And that SHOULD get Boydie to give it 150% at every practice, keep him out of the boozer, and score buckets of goals.

I like Boydie... be in my team any day -- but.. as I posted earlier.. he has to deliver. That's his game.. He scores goals -- period. So... he must deliver or be dropped. Easy.

What do you think?

Hopefully he will be warming a bench,other than Ibrox. (tu)

there have been encouraging performances from boyd in europe, mainly against livorno away. the games against villarreal were his first european games not long after joining a new club and having to live up to a lot of hype playing in arguably one of the worst rangers sides, i for one would not account a striker for missing a chance that would take us out of europe, if the team was good enough, we would create more chances which undoubtedly would eventually be put away.

Kris Boyd's only a poacher because he's too lazy to work back and defend.

If we told every one of our strikers to hang around the penalty box for 90 minutes I'm sure they'd rack up a fine total in the SPL. X amount of goals in the SPL is only impressive to an extent, I just can't see him being able to hack it in Europe, or even consistently against the Scum.

And in response to Fish's often repeated 'what do you expect for £400,000' - You can get a young Henrik Larsson for an extra 200k.

Just to pour cold water on your post is that it relies explicitly on the Champions League as a barometer. Well, a certain Ally McCoist never scored a single goal in the CL group stage.

But according to your logic, we should have benched arguably our greatest ever striker...

And just to clarify Ally did: he scored twice in the 2-1 victory over Grasshopper at Ibrox.

I was not using the Champions League as any kind of barometer, IMO its simply common sense. What is sufficient for the SPL is not usually the case for the CL. The bar is raised is raised at this level and it is up to player, if he wants to suceed, to respond and adapt. He is facing a different calibre of defender in CL and very possibly has a different kind of team lining up BEHIND him. If we are going down a defensive route in Europe (and I hope not) then its going to be even tougher for the lone striker.

The infamous year we were tanked by Juventus, an acquitance made the point: "You can give the ball away against Partick Thistle, you can't afford to do it against these guys."

A team, rightly or wrongly, is picked by the manager according to his tactical set-up, his analysis of the oppostion and the fitness and availability of the players. You seem to be implying that reputation alone, regardless on any other factor, gives Boyd (and a few others) an automatic start. IMO this is not case and nor should it be the case.

I'll clarify, I was not saying that Boyd should dropped at the first excuse. His inclusion should be on merit and to the benefit of the team and if Boyd has to start working harder and producing more to jusitfy that inclusion then that suits me. If Boyd is looking over his shoulder at the competition, and that sharpens him up, then all the better. Winning is about pushing boundaries and setting new standards, not about living off reputations and getting by.

Time will tell whether Boyd will be our greatest ever forward (however that role is defined), yes he has the stats on his side, but IMO Boyd still has a long way to go before he catches up with Ally McCoist, Mark Hateley, Gordon Smith or even Derek Johnstone.