• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, HG5 said:

Has anyone seen her win any of these?

Probably does best when the spotlight isn’t on her.

(like some of our players, who always ‘look good in training’!)

6 dq’s in 6 events when everybody’s paying attention suggests she lacks something.

Maybe. She has more than she lacks though.

As I say, more than likely a combination of factors led to this, including a slight mental imperfection. Probably more to Do with this being her life goal and so important to her than the pressure of being watched. If that's the case, you can see how a couple of falls can start to become a big mental barrier.

She's still a star though. Few athletes are perfect but she's managed to achieve hugely in her sport ina way that most of us can only dream about. 

6 hours ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Hard audience in here, the lassie is one of the best at her chosen sport and because she hasn’t done it at the only time most folk will watch these sports she’s a failure. ??

:thumbup:

These short races seem brutal to take part in and some seem to get away with infringements and others get done. I blame that wanker Beaton. :happy:

32 minutes ago, Bears r us said:

Must be :happy:

The margins for winning or losing in that speed skating are very small on the ice and then having refs checking every move after the race it is a bit of a lottery I would say.

They'd be far better making it a free for all.

Like a demolition derby. 

Now that would be interesting. :headwall:

I have been bewildered at the refereeing in this. She was clearly taken out twice yet the decision went against her. Reminds me of Wilf O'Reilly. Clearly head and shoulders above the rest, turned up and won the demo's, the the first time it was accepted Olympic sport was kicked about and suffered bad luck.

The sport, more than most, is a lottery. the quickest person rarely wins.

4 hours ago, thehost said:

I have been bewildered at the refereeing in this. She was clearly taken out twice yet the decision went against her. Reminds me of Wilf O'Reilly. Clearly head and shoulders above the rest, turned up and won the demo's, the the first time it was accepted Olympic sport was kicked about and suffered bad luck.

The sport, more than most, is a lottery. the quickest person rarely wins.

I don't know the technicallities behind the rules, but focussing on going as fast as possible, keeping balance, adhering to a race strategy, whilst also maintaining spacial awareness and simultaniously pre-empting what 2 or 3 other people might do. It doesn't seem easy to avoid contact.

To my untrained eye, a lot of infringements seem quite unintentional, and the olympic format sees 4yrs of training get easily wiped out in the collateral of somebody elses error.

You are right, it doesn't seem the fairest sport as luck seems to play a big part in every race. As said I'm sure the format of the non olympic major championships is points based over several races, so the best have a better chance to take luck out of the equation than the knockout format.

23 hours ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Hard audience in here, the lassie is one of the best at her chosen sport and because she hasn’t done it at the only time most folk will watch these sports she’s a failure. ??

that's your typical British armchair sports fan though .the same folk who would have cheered on Eddie the eagle 30yr ago 

23 minutes ago, Badger said:

I don't know the technicallities behind the rules, but focussing on going as fast as possible, keeping balance, adhering to a race strategy, whilst also maintaining spacial awareness and simultaniously pre-empting what 2 or 3 other people might do. It doesn't seem easy to avoid contact.

To my untrained eye, a lot of infringements seem quite unintentional, and the olympic format sees 4yrs of training get easily wiped out in the collateral of somebody elses error.

You are right, it doesn't seem the fairest sport as luck seems to play a big part in every race. As said I'm sure the format of the non olympic major championships is points based over several races, so the best have a better chance to take luck out of the equation than the knockout format.

they could also have timed heats with just two...... like normal speed skating. Just seems a bit dodgy that the two times I have watched it 80's and now 2018.... the fastest folk, in a speed test, don't win. Whilst I am on this moaning streak I also want to complain about the snowboarding tricks.... the cunts appear to mark them randomly.