Alves ahead of Martin

CoatbridgeBear

25 minutes ago, Siwel said:

I’d say there is Bates and Martin are who should start imo.

Martin has been responsible for lost goals.

Bates positioning can be weak, he is too often posted missing from where I want a CH to be when teams attack or at corners.

Alves hasn't shown he's particularly strong in any area other than heading a ball.

Most, like you, will argue a pairing.

As I see it it's like choosing which shite pairing of shite combinations we're having to settle for.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

Martin has been responsible for lost goals.

Bates positioning can be weak, he is too often posted missing from where I want a CH to be when teams attack of at corners.

Alves hasn't shown he's particularly strong in any area other than heading a ball.

Most, like you, will argue a pairing.

As I see it it's like choosing which shite pairing of shite combinations we're having to settle for.

It’s just deciding who you want to look good while Bates single handedly leads us to a clean sheet.

Sorry but would play Russell Martin ahead of alves any day. Not sure if it's him being out for a while or not but apart from heading the ball (which he is better than Martin at) I can't see the benefit of playing him. 

1 minute ago, Inigo said:

I'd play Alves, but I reckon regardless of what combination we play we'll have to score 3 to win if the fhilth are anywhere near on form.

Don't have confidence in that back line. Wide open at times, and only Falkirk's shiteness prevented opportunities arising regularly.

We're not compact enough as a unit from defence through midfield. Opposition midfields still get to run at our back line too often, and the mhanks thrive on that. And too many headers from the backline aren't won cleanly in the box, resulting in us giving up too many half chances that way.

A centre half should only come towards the touchline if we're in possession or if he's definitely winning the ball. Bates in particular comes far too wide, too often, leaving gaps especially when he doesn't win the ball. I've seen Martin go wide too but not as often and not leaving folk running in behind like Bates does.

But Martin has shipped goals, Alves has been guilty of that too.

Today both of them got pulled too close to midfield leaving the shape fucked. Bates left gaps again and also got turned a couple of times, Alves instead just have stupid free kicks away that the taigs will punish.

And don't get me started on corners where CHs don't stay central or with their men and too rarely get a clearing header.

Just now, RowX said:

Wouldn't be surprised to see all 3 play next week with wing backs. Especially if Murphy isn't available. 

I would. We’re not going to play a completely different system in arguably our biggest game of the season. 

8 minutes ago, RDFM said:

I would. We’re not going to play a completely different system in arguably our biggest game of the season. 

Closed doors game in midweek to try it if he wants to.  Wouldn't be the first time we've changed shape.  

1 minute ago, RowX said:

Closed doors game in midweek to try it if he wants to.  Wouldn't be the first time we've changed shape.  

We aren’t going to risk potentially our biggest game based off of a performance in a closed door bounce and while we have changed shape, we’ve never changed it to that degree.

1 minute ago, psb07158 said:

Bates was pretty poor today and was poor in our last game too. Alves looks rusty AF though. 

I'd go with Martin & Bates against them. They aren't going to lump it or put balls into the box so Alves' aerial ability isn't really required IMO. 

Weird. 

Thought he was solid. Rarely does a striker get the better of him. 

We bought Alves to play in games like next Sunday. This is his chance to prove himself. I would go with experience and play Alves & Martin but with Murty shouting for Bates for Scotland caps then I can't see him dropping him.

Bates and Martin all the way. And much like the Hearts game, before which some were writing Martin off, I reckon he’ll step up again.  

Just don’t think Alves is up to the speed of the game here. I’d be worried that he’s a disaster waiting to happen in the Old Firm game

4 hours ago, psb07158 said:

Bates was pretty poor today and was poor in our last game too. Alves looks rusty AF though. 

I'd go with Martin & Bates against them. They aren't going to lump it or put balls into the box so Alves' aerial ability isn't really required IMO. 

Agreed re Bates.

Their 40 million striker has seemed to hit a wee bit of an aerial purple patch.