Scottish Football

1 hour ago, wully said:

Queens Park have voted in favour of going professional and ending their 152 year amateur status.

Obviously they must have done their homework on the figures involved but I would imagine there must be a risk financially if it moves players/staff into higher wages. When I played for Eastbourne borough they narrowly missed out on promotion from the conference as it was then to the football league and the step up could have potentially put them out the game. 

1 minute ago, 1690tamRFC said:

Obviously they must have done their homework on the figures involved but I would imagine there must be a risk financially if it moves players/staff into higher wages. When I played for Eastbourne borough they narrowly missed out on promotion from the conference as it was then to the football league and the step up could have potentially put them out the game. 

Apparently they were fucked if they maintained their amateur status which seems weird to me :lol:

9 hours ago, Essandoh said:

Think it’s a real shame about Queen’s Park going professional but there’s no place for sentiment really if they projected difficulties ahead.

It is a shame; after all of this they could have just gone professional way back when... and most likely have been a force. They already competed, if not out-played the other Glasgow teams when it was an even playing field, if I remember correctly? I wonder how the alternative history of that situation would have played out...

Until 1887/8 you were a Rangers or a Queens fan. Maybe the Unmentionables wouldn't have grown in fan base from their foundation...

On 15/11/2019 at 07:12, Rfc52 said:

Apparently they were fucked if they maintained their amateur status which seems weird to me :lol:

I think one of the problems they have is that now there’s a truly competitive pyramid and teams like Kelty, Cove and EK are about with cash and ambition it would have been hard for them long term to continue as an amateur club and see them slip into the Lowland League and beyond, with an uncertain future as to what ground they would be playing in.

QP should be bigger than Thistle in all honesty.

On 15/11/2019 at 17:57, VallancesDog said:

It is a shame; after all of this they could have just gone professional way back when... and most likely have been a force. They already competed, if not out-played the other Glasgow teams when it was an even playing field, if I remember correctly? I wonder how the alternative history of that situation would have played out...

Until 1887/8 you were a Rangers or a Queens fan. Maybe the Unmentionables wouldn't have grown in fan base from their foundation...

If QP had joined the initial SFL and then gone professional, we may have gone the way of Cowlairs.