If Murty had the contract in his pocket yesterday would we have won?

Thermopylae

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, KeyserSoze said:

And?

Kilmarnock's league performance under Clarke is almost the exact same as ours under Murty despite a huge gulf in budgets.  Kilmarnock have a wage cap of £1k/week and spend next to nothing on transfers.  They have a far superior manager and he's getting that team to perform at a similar level to ours on a shoestring.

Murty's been in charge for 20 league games and earned 40 points

Clark'e's been in charge for 21 league games and also got 40 points.  Clarke's team have also managed to beat us and celtic.  They're punching well above their weight.

5 minutes ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

Kilmarnock's league performance under Clarke is almost the exact same as ours under Murty despite a huge gulf in budgets.  Kilmarnock have a wage cap of £1k/week and spend next to nothing on transfers.  They have a far superior manager and he's getting that team to perform at a similar level to ours on a shoestring.

Murty's been in charge for 20 league games and earned 40 points

Clark'e's been in charge for 21 league games and also got 40 points.  Clarke's team have also managed to beat us and celtic.  They're punching well above their weight.

I still don't see your point - is it that you would like him to be our manager? because you do know he is a rabid sellic fan and would NEVER come to Rangers...

Just now, KeyserSoze said:

I still don't see your point

It's a very simple point I'm making.  Kilmarnock are matching our league performance on a shoestring budget because they have a far superior manager.  What is it you're struggling with?

7 minutes ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

It's a very simple point I'm making.  Kilmarnock are matching our league performance on a shoestring budget because they have a far superior manager.  What is it you're struggling with?

He's not "far superior" ffs - he's actually got less of a coefficient in games than Murty :headscratch: 

So are you expecting Kilmarnock to win the league next season because they have a "far superior manager"? do you think they will win the Scottish cup? I think the point you are making is that you would like Steve "ah love the tic" Clarke to take over from Murty in the Summer... you could just say that

18 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

He's not "far superior" ffs - he's actually got less of a coefficient in games than Murty :headscratch: 

So are you expecting Kilmarnock to win the league next season because they have a "far superior manager"? do you think they will win the Scottish cup? I think the point you are making is that you would like Steve "ah love the tic" Clarke to take over from Murty in the Summer... you could just say that

Murty is a youth coach.  Steve Clarke has 20 years of experience in and around the management role with British clubs.  I think it's accurate to say the Clarke is a far superior manager given his wealth of experience and current performance in the SPFL.  The fact that Clarke is almost matching Murty point for point in this league and beat Murty's Rangers back in December with a team that cost a fraction of what ours does tells you all you need to know.  

Do I think Kilmarnock will win the Scottish cup?  I certainly think they'll beat Aberdeen.  If they get to the final they've already shown that they can beat either Old Firm team so I'm certain they'll make a right good fist of it.  

No, I wouldn't expect Kilmarnock to win the league on their limited budget but they're doing a very good job and punching well above their weight right now.  If Clarke was our manager and had access to a better budget maybe he could win the league with us.  You're of the belief that Clarke wouldn't take the Rangers job but I disagree. 

Clarke has achieved at Kilmarnock. No doubting it, but simply not the man for us. Lose two on the trot and he will be hounded.

Unless we can attract a a big name through serious investment, probably better staying with Murty. At least he gives stability and continuity, as much as I'm losing faith in him. Just hope he learns.

54 minutes ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

Murty is a youth coach.  Steve Clarke has 20 years of experience in and around the management role with British clubs.  I think it's accurate to say the Clarke is a far superior manager given his wealth of experience and current performance in the SPFL.  The fact that Clarke is almost matching Murty point for point in this league and beat Murty's Rangers back in December with a team that cost a fraction of what ours does tells you all you need to know.  

Do I think Kilmarnock will win the Scottish cup?  I certainly think they'll beat Aberdeen.  If they get to the final they've already shown that they can beat either Old Firm team so I'm certain they'll make a right good fist of it.  

No, I wouldn't expect Kilmarnock to win the league on their limited budget but they're doing a very good job and punching well above their weight right now.  If Clarke was our manager and had access to a better budget maybe he could win the league with us.  You're of the belief that Clarke wouldn't take the Rangers job but I disagree. 

He done shit with Reading, and his care taker stint at Aston Villa, the only head coach roles he's had before Kilmarnock.

Sometimes things just click with a team and the manager. 

We should be aiming a lot higher than Steve Clarke fs, would rather keep Murty on than go after him.

20 hours ago, CoopsLaud said:

If he was somehow holding back for the sake of a contract which I think you are insinuating, then he has no place as Rangers manager. Like you say our manager needs a killer instinct or just to fuck off out of it now if not. Think it more likely he gets lost in the atmosphere of a big game at home and is not able to see glaring changes which need made, which is just as unacceptable. Just hoping he is intelligent enough to learn very fast, as in by the semi final type fast. My verdict is out till then as clearly these scum are there for the taking.

All I'm saying is with no contract one bad result and he's probably history 

Back in the day, what we lacked in quality, we made up with passion and physicality. No quarter given.

Changed days. No leaders on the park. We have Windass playing directly in front of Broon. That'll work wont it?! Who the fuck had the job of marking broon? You've got to stifle the cunt. He is what makes them tick. 

Three managers now and we are still as weak as fuck. Time to toughen up.

8 minutes ago, Blue Avenger said:

Back in the day, what we lacked in quality, we made up with passion and physicality. No quarter given.

Changed days. No leaders on the park. We have Windass playing directly in front of Broon. That'll work wont it?! Who the fuck had the job of marking broon? You've got to stifle the cunt. He is what makes them tick. 

Three managers now and we are still as weak as fuck. Time to toughen up.

Yes.   

But unfortunately I don't see Mr Nice Guy Murty as the sort of manager who can produce a toughened up properly competitive title challenging Rangers side anytime soon. And by 'soon' I mean in the next 2 seasons.   He might get there if he is given a very long run at learning the managerial ropes and learning how to extract more than the best out of whatever playing squad he has at his disposal.    That's the gamble the board has been prepared to take so far.    Whether they can afford to find a better, more capable manager who can turn a squad into title winners quickly is another matter altogether. 

To my mind they could not afford to do anything more than find reasons to stick with Murty and cross their fingers that he might be able to get a side together that could push a lot harder for the league title.   Its more in hope than expectation that we look for the league title sometime soon.

I don't think Murty has it in him at this point in his managerial apprenticeship to produce a title winning side.   He might be able to produce a side that is the best of the rest but the only thing that really matters, imo, is winning the title.   The board is prepared to accept 2nd best and in failing to land a far better and far more capable manager and sticking with Murty they are indicating that they are prepared to accept 2nd best for the foreseeable future.   Do they 100% believe Murty will turn out to be a title winner for the Club in the next few seasons?   That is the question they need to answer at the end of this season when they consider whether to stick or twist with Murty.  

4 hours ago, harlands plater said:

I don’t feel Murty has the strength of character or the tactical nous to be a successful Rangers manager.

I feel he speaks very well which probably makes you think he has more about him that he perhaps actually has?  I'm not saying he can't grow into the job but for me the jury is very much still out although I have to say a good transfer window is a big positive and hopefully the new players will get the benefit of 5 weeks together before hampden

3 hours ago, Thermopylae said:

I feel he speaks very well which probably makes you think he has more about him that he perhaps actually has?  I'm not saying he can't grow into the job but for me the jury is very much still out although I have to say a good transfer window is a big positive and hopefully the new players will get the benefit of 5 weeks together before hampden

I think he comes across as pretty uncomfortable in press conferences, he seldom makes eye contact.

Plus he’s just too nice and doesn’t want to offend anyone, it’s like watching McCoist or that old sweetie wife Craig Brown.

10 hours ago, Malvern said:

Pretty sure quite a few of us knew Murty would eventually get the blame and the board can whistle in the background saying "wasn't our fault guv".

EDIT: didn't read the whole thread as it will be the usual.

The board get the blame for fucking this season up, useless cunts, but some games you canny blame them for

18 hours ago, harlands plater said:

I think he comes across as pretty uncomfortable in press conferences, he seldom makes eye contact.

Plus he’s just too nice and doesn’t want to offend anyone, it’s like watching McCoist or that old sweetie wife Craig Brown.

:britney:

2 hours ago, East Enclosure Row N said:

From an opposite perspective - perhaps if GM had the contract in his pocket, maybe he wouldn't be so keen, hungry and have anything to prove???

Slag the leather belts for anything you like, but the rolling 1yr contract keeps managers on their toes.

I'm sorry, but that is nauseating