Rangers should look no further than Graeme Murty - The Rangers Observer

Lloyd

This points to no investor on the horizon, so GM will be given the job longer term no matter what the eventual outcome in the cup although I expect 2nd place will be a must. So it'll be just the usual then with ST holders keeping the home fires burning and transfers down to their input. ST money is king.

3 hours ago, Real Ranger said:

So with a few players brought in on loan we've played 11 games, won 9 lost 2 , scoring 33 goals in the process, impressive stats for a youth team coach who is supposedly out of his depth. 

3 of those games were against Fraserbrough, Ayr, and Falkirk.  Lower league dross.  Pedro's Rangers pumped Dunfermline 6-0 and they're higher up the leagues than any of the previously mentioned teams.  Have we to swoon in amazement at Murty's ability to take a team worth millions of pounds and beat lower league shite?  

Look at the results in the league as a measurement of success.  20 points dropped, conceded 23 goals, unable to win more than 4 games in a row, can't beat celtic, suffered humiliating defeats to the likes of Dundee and Hamilton.  In terms of his points per game average Murty isn't doing much better than Warburton or Pedro:

Warburton managed us for 23 games in the top-tier with 43 points gained.

Pedro managed us for 20 games in the top-tier and managed 38 points

Murty's been in charge for 20 games and earned 40 points.

We haven't progressed under Murty we're still hovering around the same standard.  We need someone who can kick us on to the next level and that's when we'll see real signs of progress.  

4 hours ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

You sound like a glass half empty sort of guy.  Bringing in a more experienced manager might not guarantee success but it'll certainly give us a better shot at it.  Paul Le Guen was 12 years ago and just because it didn't work out with him doesn't mean it can never work.  You're telling us second place is a realistic target and any success in the cups would just be a bonus.  It sounds like you're accepting mediocrity and we're becoming a team like Aberdeen, Hibs, or Hearts.  If celtic do win another treble you'll be happy with that?  Is second place and a cup viewed simply as a bonus acceptable?  No, our support will go in to meltdown.

I've seen clubs perform poorly, change manager, and become a force again.  Just because we've gotten in wrong in recent years doesn't mean we should just give up and stop trying.  Having a youth coach in the dugout isn't as good as it gets for us and to accept that going in to next season is asking for failure.  We need to appoint a proper manager with years of experience and a proven track record and let's hope this time we get it right.  

The glass is half full with Murty, he's taking us in the right direction.

I'm not accepting mediocrity any more than you. If we sack Murty tomorrow and bring in an experienced manager and he doesn't win the Scottish cup will you be calling for his head?

Walter Smith had never managed a club before he got the Rangers job, Guardiola's only experience was managing Barcelona youths and Zidane had no experience as a number one yet they all enjoyed great success. If you think that Murty's lack of experience equates to failure then you're a glass half empty man.

3 of those games were against Fraserbrough, Ayr, and Falkirk.  Lower league dross.  Pedro's Rangers pumped Dunfermline 6-0 and they're higher up the leagues than any of the previously mentioned teams.  Have we to swoon in amazement at Murty's ability to take a team worth millions of pounds and beat lower league shite?  

Look at the results in the league as a measurement of success.  20 points dropped, conceded 23 goals, unable to win more than 4 games in a row, can't beat celtic, suffered humiliating defeats to the likes of Dundee and Hamilton.  In terms of his points per game average Murty isn't doing much better than Warburton or Pedro:

We haven't progressed under Murty we're still hovering around the same standard.  We need someone who can kick us on to the next level and that's when we'll see real signs of progress.  

If you can't see the progression in the team since Murty brought in the new additions then you're definetly a glass half empty man.

All very salient points, he also had the advantage of players added by Mark Allen.

16 hours ago, Real Ranger said:

I'm not accepting mediocrity any more than you. If we sack Murty tomorrow and bring in an experienced manager and he doesn't win the Scottish cup will you be calling for his head?

Walter Smith had never managed a club before he got the Rangers job, Guardiola's only experience was managing Barcelona youths and Zidane had no experience as a number one yet they all enjoyed great success. If you think that Murty's lack of experience equates to failure then you're a glass half empty man.

Very different situation with Murty. Walter Smith, Guardiola & Zidane all inherited squads who had already been successful and won major trophies. Let's also not forget they had huge transfer budgets to also work with. I believe murty has done very well given the situation he inherited from Pedro. But we need a more experienced manager to take the club forward and push the squad to the next level. I'm all for Murty remaining as a coach in the 1st team set-up.

On 14/03/2018 at 18:36, Siwel said:

Rangers should look no further than Graeme Murty

March 14, 2018

By Garry Carmody | Guest Contributor

[ ]...If Murty is “learning on the job”, he’s doing so quickly and is showing signs that he will continue to do so. This is an ongoing project and Murty has taken us down the first step on the road. Let's have a bit of faith that he is capable of pushing us to the next step...[ ]

I await Carmody's defence of Murty continuing to 'learn on the job' and todays result with interest :sarcasm:

On 15/03/2018 at 20:00, Real Ranger said:

I think getting fucked off Kilmarnock equates to failure.

He stepped in, he tried, he failed. This cannot be our managerial solution for next season.

The only direction he's taking us is to absolute mediocrity and abject failure.

On 16/03/2018 at 15:12, onefootwillie said:

I think Murty can't really afford any more defeats if he hopes to get the job. If he loses the semi final or makes the final and loses it then I can't see him get the job. He also has to make sure of second place. A lot of work still to be done 

I think today should rule out any hope of murty getting the job permanent. 

He's now lost at home to Hamilton, st Johnstone, hibs, them and killie. this is not the record of a man who deserves the Rangers job. 

I can only see things going from bad to worse. Time has come for us to move and get an experienced manager. 

If the board look no further than Murty to manage Rangers next season and perhaps beyond then they must also look no further in terms of football ambition than to look to be competitive among a chasing pack for seasons to come.   That is what they are conditioning us to accept.  Lip service to competing for titles.  Because you don't win titles if the extent of your ambition is to appoint an unproven apprentice manager.

You only appoint unproven apprentice managers to the most vital management job at the Club if you are unable to attract or afford a suitably competent experienced manager who would be likely to get a whole lot more out of this squad - this very big and expensively assembled squad - than a rookie stumbling about from game to game.

The board is getting what it is prepared to pay for.   And we as a result are getting the sort of season that a board making bad management appointment decisions gives us.   More of this to come as there is no way imo this board can either afford to find a better manager, or attract one. 

I don't think anyone should make their mind up on Murty based on today, before I start I'll say that I don't want Murty in charge, I fully believe we need go go out and hire the best manager available and affordable to us, I'd rather give a manager £30k per week than spend it on any marquee signing however Murty is a novice and with a novice manager you're going to get set backs like he had today, if you've been in the Murty camp and today was the straw that broke the camels back then I find it entirely disingenuous - if you backed him for the job then you need to accept the flaws that come with someone so inexperienced but as long as rodgers, clarke and lennon are in the league I can't see him winning enough games to survive.

On 15/03/2018 at 20:00, Real Ranger said:

Walter Smith was right hand man to one of the country's best ever managers at Tannadice. 

• 2 weeks later...