Cummings is not good enough

MacBoyd

1 hour ago, GT66 said:

I think when we've got Dorrans, Jack etc back this is the way we should go, but right now we've not got enough in midfield to have one less playing.

Wasn't convinced when they were fit, Dorrans was practically invisible. Jack seemed to have a nasty habit of picking up more cards than games started, a sign of a player struggling to fit in his role. So not holding out hope from their return.

57 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

Totally agree, been thinking this past month or so tbh.

It would give us the numbers in midfield and make us more rigid and also allow us to have 2 strikers to striker up an understanding (something we've not had since Miller and Boyd in 2010-2011)

I think Murty is clever but we are over-complicating things big style. It doesn't take a blind man to see our central midfield is weak with zero presence. 

Right or left midfielders don't need to be wingers. We've had Reyna, Albertz, Gio all play wide and do jobs and they weren't wingers. We need to get the numbers back into midfield and a forward 2 with an understanding. Forget this intricate 4-2-3-1 pish.

I'll be interested to see what happens once we have a few more bodies back in that area of the pitch, ie: Dorrans and McCrorie. Hopefully after the international break we might see how that develops. 

4-2-3-1 has served us well away from home. At home it's clearly not wholly down to the formation, but it does make a difference. I think it's possible he's a bit reluctant to change to 4-4-2 because of the CM's available to us just now.

1 minute ago, McKissock said:

I'll be interested to see what happens once we have a few more bodies back in that area of the pitch, ie: Dorrans and McCrorie. Hopefully after the international break we might see how that develops. 

4-2-3-1 has served us well away from home. At home it's clearly not wholly down to the formation, but it does make a difference. I think it's possible he's a bit reluctant to change to 4-4-2 because of the CM's available to us just now.

I know.

I think our signing policy in January has been too heavily tailored on this 4-2-3-1 position - whether that's Allan telling Murty or Murty saying that's what he wants and the both working in tandom... like we've put all our eggs in one basket and bought with this formation in mind and now we realise it's not good at Ibrox we are fucked and have no idea what next. In fact, I think that's really obvious.

Very amateurish 

1 hour ago, K.A.I said:

Agree with the above - we absolutely need to play with 2-strikers. We haven't and it's criminal.

Of course it means dropping either Windass, Candaies or Murphy but let's have some balls and drop 1 for the better of the team and our formation but it wreaks of trying to accommodate favourites. We need to make tough decisions for the good of the team - but we don't.

2 up front for me both Morelos and Cummings - let them strike up an understanding.

Couldn’t agree more.

51 minutes ago, Inigo said:

4-4-2. Dropping Windass and finding a central midfield is the way to go. 

I always liked the Advocaat way of 2 centre mids, one winger and one wide midfielder. Think we have the makings of a squad to go that way.

And Advocaat had them all knowing exactly what their roles were, too.

Then brutal reality kicks in, trying to find two fit central midfielders, with the same mix of dig and skill as Ferguson and van Bronckhorst, capable of overcoming three opponents in that area, while also trying to cover for the chasm that's left by defenders dropping stupidly deep to make up for their weaknesses.

I've yet to see what playing Cummings over Windass fixes, while we're still at a point where making a change to win midfield control means Jason Holt gets a game.

cummings is a goal scorer the team must be set up in a way that allows us to use him effectively. Like boyd first spell. Hes no gonna run about daft hes gonna get himself in the box and finish its upto those around him to do the hard yards. Would love to see him and Morelos in a 442 

1 hour ago, K.A.I said:

Morelos misses loads of sitters every game. I'm not anti-Morelos .. he holds the ball up well and brings others into play which we missed today but Cummings is a better finisher and both would compliment each other well give a run of game to develop.

I’m not having a go at either Morelos or Cummings, they are both young strikers with good potential, but I’m not sure if their respective goal records prove that Cummings is the better finisher.  From memory, Morelos scored a hell of a lot of goal in his time in Finland and he’s scored his share for us.  Yes, he’s missed plenty but all strikers do.

I think they would perform better if they played together although I’m not sure if they are a natural partnership.  Certainly, would be worth giving them some game time together to see if they can develop an understanding. 

9 minutes ago, Hilly86 said:

And Advocaat had them all knowing exactly what their roles were, too.

Then brutal reality kicks in, trying to find two fit central midfielders, with the same mix of dig and skill as Ferguson and van Bronckhorst, capable of overcoming three opponents in that area, while also trying to cover for the chasm that's left by defenders dropping stupidly deep to make up for their weaknesses.

I've yet to see what playing Cummings over Windass fixes, while we're still at a point where making a change to win midfield control means Jason Holt gets a game.

Having a wide midfielder gives the adaptability to beef up the middle if necessary.

We'll probably never have that standard of midfielder again, but the theory still stands with lesser players. They'll just execute it less well, but they'll execute any formation less well.

1 minute ago, Inigo said:

Having a wide midfielder gives the adaptability to beef up the middle if necessary.

We'll probably never have that standard of midfielder again, but the theory still stands with lesser players. They'll just execute it less well, but they'll execute any formation less well.

You can have the 11 best players in the world but if the formation is shite = forget it.

You can have the best formation in the world but if the 11 players are shite = forget it.

It's a balancing act. We need good players but the right formation.

There's small variances like an average, limited player like a Papac, Broadfoot or Vidmar who were shite players but in the right formation, with protection and confidence we can get a return out of them but you honestly can't do that for 11 players on a park week in week out. You need to invest in talent and develop a proper formation to do anything.

If it was as easy as buying the best players from Swindon, Wigan, Hearts, Hamilton, Helsinki, Accrington Stanley and some reserves from Brighton, QPR, Norwich, Cardiff and winning the league or even having solid second places finishes every year with ease then the likes of Hibs, Hearts, Kilmarnock would find another 3/4 million from someone and outlay it. Football isn't played out in that sort of fantasy land and the sooner we realise this, the better.

1 hour ago, Inigo said:

4-4-2. Dropping Windass and finding a central midfield is the way to go. 

I always liked the Advocaat way of 2 centre mids, one winger and one wide midfielder. Think we have the makings of a squad to go that way.

I then to agree with you. I have always like having wingers in the team and thought it was a good thing when Warburton promoted the use of two wide men as it initially gave us a lot of attacking flair.  However, after nearly three seasons of this, I have come to opinion that you cannot get away with playing two wingers, it leaves you too short in other key areas.

Once fit, I’d like to see McCrorie in the defensive midfield role with Docherty in central midfield backing up the two strikers.  One winger and ano midfield player (Goss, Holt or Dorrans when fit).

10 minutes ago, Inigo said:

Depressingly true, and Docherty would be good in that role on the right.

Just having McCrorie back will give us options we don't have now, a three in midfield with Dorrans back too would be interesting to see.

6 hours ago, jamess said:

We have struggled against teams who flood the penalty box for a number of years and today was nothing new. Our midfield lacks creativity and strikers ain't going to score if they don't get good service.

Killie didn't sit back though

I think that's about everyone in the team now been made a scapegoat and had a thread started about it, see that wee fucking ball boy at the SJ stand, about 3 or 4 times he fucked about getting the ball back quickly in that second half clearly messing up at least 2 clear scoring opportunities (which Morelos would probably have missed anyway) wee fanny needs dropped, he's fucking shite.

10 hours ago, K.A.I said:

Morelos misses loads of sitters every game. I'm not anti-Morelos .. he holds the ball up well and brings others into play which we missed today but Cummings is a better finisher and both would compliment each other well give a run of game to develop.

Like to know where you get all these sitters as we have a midfield that hardly create anything also said on another thread Buffalo makes a shit ball into something with his unselfish work - would hate to play up front in that team

13 minutes ago, Scottywellhousetb said:

I think that's about everyone in the team now been made a scapegoat and had a thread started about it, see that wee fucking ball boy at the SJ stand, about 3 or 4 times he fucked about getting the ball back quickly in that second half clearly messing up at least 2 clear scoring opportunities (which Morelos would probably have missed anyway) wee fanny needs dropped, he's fucking shite.

That ones already been started :duh: