Radio 4 Programme on Ibrox Disaster

Trooblue

21 minutes ago, tam57 said:

Just had a listen there and it brings back a lot of sad memories.

Absolutely. I wasn't at the game,, but was at the first home game after the disaster, against Dundee United. Will never forget the sight of stairway 13 seen through the boards, and the power of the minute's silence that day. Still have the commemorative leaflet distributed instead of the match programme.  The testimonies of the fans and family members on the Radio 4 programme were very touching. 

1 minute ago, Trooblue said:

Absolutely. I wasn't at the game,, but was at the first home game after the disaster, against Dundee United. Will never forget the sight of stairway 13 seen through the boards, and the power of the minute's silence that day. Still have the commemorative leaflet distributed instead of the match programme.  The testimonies of the fans and family members on the Radio 4 programme were very touching. 

I was there and lost my brother. I got home before him for the first time since I started going to games so we knew we had lost him.

1 minute ago, tam57 said:

I was there and lost my brother. I got home before him for the first time since I started going to games so we knew we had lost him.

Don't even know what to say about that, sorry to hear that, my dad came down that stairwell and lost buttons of his jacket and stuff but just thought it was a bit busier than usual. He didn't go straight home as he didn't know that something had actually happened, he ended up in a pub on way home to Dennistoun and it was in there that word started to filter through, he just kept drinking but when he got home my gran or his mum was in some state as there was no media as in the way we have it now, no phone calls, said she was in a rage that he hadn't seen before but it was anger and frustration of not knowing. 

4 minutes ago, LOL153 No Surrender!!! said:

Don't even know what to say about that, sorry to hear that, my dad came down that stairwell and lost buttons of his jacket and stuff but just thought it was a bit busier than usual. He didn't go straight home as he didn't know that something had actually happened, he ended up in a pub on way home to Dennistoun and it was in there that word started to filter through, he just kept drinking but when he got home my gran or his mum was in some state as there was no media as in the way we have it now, no phone calls, said she was in a rage that he hadn't seen before but it was anger and frustration of not knowing. 

We left the game and always walked into town to get a bus back to Barlanark, My brother usually got the supporters bus so was always home first. I was told by my mum that there was a newsflash about it. It wasn’t until about half ten that we got confirmation.

14 hours ago, tam57 said:

Sorry to hear about your brother Tam ....It must have been terrible mate .... I'm sure you and your family miss him to this day .... such a sad sad time for all the families of the supporters who should have made it home that night.

As you know ... back then communication was not as sophisticated as it is now and to wait so long for any news (never mind the worst) was nerve-racking. 

You sharing your loss makes all of us older Bears who were at the game so thankful we got home safely.

??

I got lots of texts yesterday from mates telling me this was on. However, and I mean this with the greatest of respect, I couldn't bring myself to listen to it. 

I'm of an age where I grew up in the aftermath and have now read an awful lot of stories and watched a lot of footage. It's still painful, and I'll never forget those who never came back.

I was a little puzzled over the timing of the programme tbh. It's not an anniversary....so it just seemed a little odd to air it now. I hope that anyone reading this who lost a loved one/friend does not see this post as being disrespectful in any way. 

RIP the 66.