Rangers Eyeing Summer Swoop For Louis Moult

9 hours ago, Number5 said:

I think thumb is massive over-rated, dembele is above the SPL and fuck knows about the other thing.

Bottom line is the fenians aren't going to go out and replace any of those 3 if they went with Moult because he isn't enough. 

Squad player all day long, not the man to come in and win us 55. Nowhere near.

I always forget Dembele was prolific before he came to Scotland 

17 hours ago, TMB said:

Well, Moult scored 15 league goals for 2 consecutive years.  This year he already had 8 prior to Christmas and was the best performing striker in the league and could've easily hit that 15 goal mark again.  I doubt you could name "numerous" players hitting those type of numbers consistently  in the top-tier of Scottish football since very few have been in recent years.  If Moult gets a chance at Rangers and scores 15 or more a season with the regularity he did for Motherwell he'd be a major asset to us.  Our top striker now, who is probably the best striker we've had since the summer of 2012, is sitting on 13 goals with 7 games left to play.  As I said, Moult also brings a lot to a team from a defensive point of view so it's not just about his goals either.  He can help defend set-pieces and corners because he's a big physical guy who's strong in the air and this is something we need.

I doubt Dembele, Sinclair, Edouard or Roberts will even be at celtic next season.  The first two want moves to a bigger league and Edouard and Roberts will return to their parent clubs after loan spells.  Getting quality strikers to Scotland isn't easy as we can see from the current forwards underperforming over at celtic and the only reason Griffiths stays with them is because he's a rabid bastard. 

Broadly similar numbers in a broadly similar period... Michael Higdon, Liam Boyce, Kris doolan, Adam Rooney, Niall McGinn, Billy McKay.

None of whom are/were good enough either. Some guys score goals for Scottish teams. Similarly some, even though they do, you can still tell they're not going to take us to the level we need to be at. You can add Louis Moult to the above list IMO. It's a list you wouldn't be putting Dembele, Griffiths or Edouarde in, or any of a similar class that sellic are likely to bring in in the future. 

8 minutes ago, Inigo said:

Broadly similar numbers in a broadly similar period... Michael Higdon, Liam Boyce, Kris doolan, Adam Rooney, Niall McGinn, Billy McKay.

None of whom are/were good enough either. Some guys score goals for Scottish teams. Similarly some, even though they are, you can still tell they're not going to take us to the level we need to be at. You can add Louis Moult to the above list IMO. It's a list you wouldn't be putting Dembele, Griffiths or Edouarde in, or any of a similar class that sellic are likely to bring in in the future. 

Until the player is here it is difficult to say, he might be to the manor born or a pile of shite or somewhere in between, how many "marquee signings"  after us all thinking just how fantastic they would be for us turned out awful? plenty.

Truth is every single signing regardless of cost or reputation is a gamble.

1 minute ago, pcbear said:

Until the player is here it is difficult to say, he might be to the manor born or a pile of shite or somewhere in between, how many "marquee signings"  after us all thinking just how fantastic they would be for us turned out awful? plenty.

Truth is every single signing regardless of cost or reputation is a gamble.

It's hard to say, but not impossible. All you can do is say what you see from watching him. I don't think he's good enough from the fair amount I've seen of him.

4 minutes ago, Inigo said:

It's hard to say, but not impossible. All you can do is say what you see from watching him. I don't think he's good enough from the fair amount I've seen of him.

True, but at the right price I think he would be worth a punt, he has a good goal in him that's for sure.

20 minutes ago, Inigo said:

None of whom are/were good enough either. Some guys score goals for Scottish teams. Similarly some, even though they are, you can still tell they're not going to take us to the level we need to be at. You can add Louis Moult to the above list IMO. It's a list you wouldn't be putting Dembele, Griffiths or Edouarde in, or any of a similar class that sellic are likely to bring in in the future. 

The premier league in Scotland will always yield players who score 10-15 goals a season....the fact is the standard is poor...lumps of wood like Adam Rooney are the perfect example...he regularly scores about 15 goals a season.....does it make him Rangers class?No it dosent....the reality is that we need a 25-30 goal striker I doubt any on your list would give us that kind of return.

Just now, pcbear said:

True, but at the right price I think he would be worth a punt, he has a good goal in him that's for sure.

I don't. We have to be sure about all purchases now. We've had too many punts and punts end up with you filling your squad with Michael O'Hallorans that you can't get rid of and bleed wages.

We need to be sure from now on and do our homework in-depth. 

28 minutes ago, Inigo said:

None of whom are/were good enough either. Some guys score goals for Scottish teams. Similarly some, even though they do, you can still tell they're not going to take us to the level we need to be at. You can add Louis Moult to the above list IMO. It's a list you wouldn't be putting Dembele, Griffiths or Edouarde in, or any of a similar class that sellic are likely to bring in in the future. 

Michael Higdon left Scottish football in 2013.  The last time Niall McGinn hit more than 10 in a league season was 2013/14.  I'm assuming you're meaning Billy McKay prior to 2015?  You're having to go back quite a bit to find examples some of which I don't think are even comparable which proves my point.  There aren't many guys in recent years who have scored with the type of consistency Louis Moult did.  If Moult came to Rangers and was scoring with the same regularity he did for Motherwell the fans would love him.  15 league goals a season, including goals against celtic, is a good return.  

Also, you're demanding Rangers bring in a similar quality of player to celtic with less money and no Champions League football and that's unrealistic.  The only reason Roberts, Edouard, and Musonda are in Scotland is the lure of Champions League football.  celtic done a great piece of business getting Dembele up here for as little as they did but it would never have happened without that Champions League exposure.  All season long Sinclair and Dembele have looked uninterested because they don't give a fuck about Scottish football they're wanting out.  I'm certain celtic will go out and buy a high calibre of replacement for those players this summer but they have more financial clout than we do.  They'll sell Dembele and then drop another £5m on a replacement which is something we can't do.  celtic are talking about offering PSG a sum close to £7m for Edouard and triggering his release clause I can't see how can we compete with that level of spending.

celtic have an established team and they'll focus their money on two or three guys of quality because they're in a better position than us.  Whatever money we have in the summer needs to be spread out across the entire team.  We need defenders, midfielders, attacking midfielders, to make Murphy's move permanent, a stronger bench, a new manager, etc.  We wont be spending big on one position especially when we already have Morelos there.  Moult for £1m as a backup to Morelos is great value.

3 minutes ago, TMB said:

Michael Higdon left Scottish football in 2013.  The last time Niall McGinn hit more than 10 in a league season was 2013/14.  I'm assuming you're meaning Billy McKay prior to 2015?  You're having to go back quite a bit to find examples some of which I don't think are even comparable which proves my point.  There aren't many guys in recent years who have scored with the type of consistency Louis Moult did.  If Moult came to Rangers and was scoring with the same regularity he did for Motherwell the fans would love him.  15 league goals a season, including goals against celtic, is a good return.  

Also, you're demanding Rangers bring in a similar quality of player to celtic with less money and no Champions League football and that's unrealistic.  The only reason Roberts, Edouard, and Musonda are in Scotland is the lure of Champions League football.  celtic done a great piece of business getting Dembele up here for as little as they did but it would never have happened without that Champions League exposure.  All season long Sinclair and Dembele have looked uninterested because they don't give a fuck about Scottish football they're wanting out.  I'm certain celtic will go out and buy a high calibre of replacement for those players this summer but they have more financial clout than we do.  They'll sell Dembele and then drop another £5m on a replacement which is something we can't do.  celtic are talking about offering PSG a sum close to £7m for Edouard and triggering his release clause I can't see how can we compete with that level of spending.

celtic have an established team and they'll focus their money on two or three guys of quality because they're in a better position than us.  Whatever money we have in the summer needs to be spread out across the entire team.  We need defenders, midfielders, attacking midfielders, to make Murphy's move permanent, a stronger bench, a new manager, etc.  We wont be spending big on one position especially when we already have Morelos there.  Moult for £1m as a backup to Morelos is great value.

They're all example from the last 7 or 8 years. That's no that far back that it makes them somehow of a different era and therefore meaningless. :lol: Completely relevant to the point. 

I'm demanding we bring in quality that's better than Moult and nearer to what they bring in. Otherwise we can kiss goodbye to challenging them. It'll probably mean being really, really proficient in scouting and finding gems. Settling for Louis Moult will get us challenging with Aberdeen forevermore.  Facts are if they have distinctly superior players (Dembele or Griffiths or Edouarde compared to Moult) they'll almost certainly win the league. 

We can’t afford another Summer of sideways signings who are of a similar quality to what we already have. We need better players because ultimately that little bit of extra quality was the one difference betwwen us and them in the last game. We need players who can get a half chance like Dembele and Eduard got and bury it. I think Moult is a decent player but I’m not convinced that he will ever be at that level. 

3 hours ago, Inigo said:

They're all example from the last 7 or 8 years. That's no that far back that it makes them somehow of a different era and therefore meaningless. :lol: Completely relevant to the point. 

I'm demanding we bring in quality that's better than Moult and nearer to what they bring in. Otherwise we can kiss goodbye to challenging them. It'll probably mean being really, really proficient in scouting and finding gems. Settling for Louis Moult will get us challenging with Aberdeen forevermore.  Facts are if they have distinctly superior players (Dembele or Griffiths or Edouarde compared to Moult) they'll almost certainly win the league. 

It's far back enough that we wont be singing them this summer, will we?  The thread is about Moult and our clubs apparent interest in that player given his recent form in our league.  I doubt we'll be after Michael Higdon this summer based on his performances from 2013 so I'd say he's pretty irrelevant.  If you read my post again you'll see I asked for examples in recent years.  

I'm aware that you're demanding a high standard of player but it's not being realistic.  We don't have the financial clout or the lure of Champions League football as I already explained.  If there's a top striker out there who is willing to come to Scotland his first stop will be celtic since they can pay more and offer a bigger stage.  Our best chance is to use the scouting network and apparently they have identified Moult as being a good option so why not trust them?  I'm sure Morelos will continue to be first choice and Moult would be a solid backup option given his recent record in this league.

For what it's worth, I don't think Sinclair or Dembele will be there next season as they clearly want out of Scottish football.  Roberts and Edouard will go back to their parent clubs this summer and hopefully they stay gone.  That leaves celtic with the task of having to go out and replace them.  With a bit of luck they'll spend big on guys who totally flop.  

1 minute ago, TMB said:

It's far back enough that we wont be singing them this summer, will we?  The thread is about Moult and our clubs apparent interest in that player given his recent form in our league.  I doubt we'll be after Michael Higdon this summer based on his performances from 2013 so I'd say he's pretty irrelevant.  If you read my post again you'll see I asked for examples in recent years.  

I'm aware that you're demanding a high standard of player but it's not being realistic.  We don't have the financial clout or the lure of Champions League football as I already explained.  If there's a top striker out there who is willing to come to Scotland his first stop will be celtic since they can pay more and offer a bigger stage.  Our best chance is to use the scouting network and apparently they have identified Moult as being a good option so why not trust them?  I'm sure Morelos will continue to be first choice and Moult would be a solid backup option given his recent record in this league.

For what it's worth, I don't think Sinclair or Dembele will be there next season as they clearly want out of Scottish football.  Roberts and Edouard will go back to their parent clubs this summer and hopefully they stay gone.  That leaves celtic with the task of having to go out and replace them.  With a bit of luck they'll spend big on guys who totally flop.  

What has signing them this summer got to do with the point being made? The point is that players can bang in goals for other teams and not necessarily be good enough for us, not who is or isn't available this summer. 

Players in the last 7 or 8 years is recent enough to make the point. How is Michael Higdon not a relevant example of someone banging in goals in the SPL but not being good enough for us just because it was 8 years ago and not 2?

All of those players show that people can bang in goals and at the same time not be good enough for us.