Rangers Eyeing Summer Swoop For Louis Moult

On 23/03/2018 at 08:32, Smell the hotdog said:

No thanks? The guy scores for fun in Scotland. 

If only we didn't piss about trying to get McInnes we could have been working on a deal for Moult for nothing at end of the season.

We've now got to go pay a fee for someone that should have either been signed in Jan for buttons or on his way already this summer. Poor planning.

He wasn't interested in January, said it himself due to family reasons etc..

On 25/03/2018 at 14:12, sandyinroyalblue said:

Signing second rate players like Moult will keep us a second rate team.

Bottom line right there. If we're pinning our hopes on the likes of Moult whilst they have the standard of Dembele, Edouarde and Griffiths we'll be firmly in their shadow.

50 minutes ago, Inigo said:

Bottom line right there. If we're pinning our hopes on the likes of Moult whilst they have the standard of Dembele, Edouarde and Griffiths we'll be firmly in their shadow.

Louis Moult left Scotland mid December of 2017 having scored 8 league goals.  The three strikers you've mentioned, as of yet, haven't bettered that number.  

It's also worth noting that Moult scored 15 goals last season.  Griffiths scored 12 and Dembele scored 17.  Moult was right up there despite playing for a very poor Motherwell side.

What many need to acknowledge is an average return of 15 goals a season for a guy playing for a struggling Motherwell side is a consistently good return.  Moreover, Moult would add the physicality and battle to our team we've been so badly lacking.  He'd be better at leading the front line than Cummings and he can come back and help defend set-pieces which is something we struggle with.  He can bring a lot to our team and for the right money we should be bringing him here.

At Rangers we generate a lot more chances and I can see Moult being a 20 goal a season striker here.  celtic themselves have struggled to contain Moult in the past and he's put a few goals past them.  Many stress the importance of recruiting players who are adept to the physicality and fast paced nature of Scottish football and Moult certainly is therefore he represents less risk than other signings.  I'm a huge fan of Cummings but if we persist with a one striker formation I'd rather have Moult since he's better suited to that role.  

5 minutes ago, TMB said:

Louis Moult left Scotland mid December of 2017 having scored 8 league goals.  The three strikers you've mentioned, as of yet, haven't bettered that number.  

It's also worth noting that Moult scored 15 goals last season.  Griffiths scored 12 and Dembele scored 17.  Moult was right up there despite playing for a very poor Motherwell side.

What many need to acknowledge is an average return of 15 goals a season for a guy playing for a struggling Motherwell side is a consistently good return.  Moreover, Moult would add the physicality and battle to our team we've been so badly lacking.  He'd be better at leading the front line than Cummings and he can come back and help defend set-pieces which is something we struggle with.  He can bring a lot to our team and for the right money we should be bringing him here.

At Rangers we generate a lot more chances and I can see Moult being a 20 goal a season striker here.  celtic themselves have struggled to contain Moult in the past and he's put a few goals past them.  Many stress the importance of recruiting players who are adept to the physicality and fast paced nature of Scottish football and Moult certainly is therefore he represents less risk than other signings.  I'm a huge fan of Cummings but if we persist with a one striker formation I'd rather have Moult since he's better suited to that role.  

Meh. I could probably name numerous players that have and are scoring well in Scotland but lack the quality to be a player for us. Stats like you've given presents a narrow picture. All three players in the sellic team are better than Louis Moult. You can quote stats to convince yourself otherwise, but bottom line is Louis Moult's career will never amount to that of the other three for a reason. 

I think thumb is massive over-rated, dembele is above the SPL and fuck knows about the other thing.

Bottom line is the fenians aren't going to go out and replace any of those 3 if they went with Moult because he isn't enough. 

Squad player all day long, not the man to come in and win us 55. Nowhere near.

37 minutes ago, Inigo said:

Meh. I could probably name numerous players that have and are scoring well in Scotland but lack the quality to be a player for us. Stats like you've given presents a narrow picture. All three players in the sellic team are better than Louis Moult. You can quote stats to convince yourself otherwise, but bottom line is Louis Moult's career will never amount to that of the other three for a reason. 

Well, Moult scored 15 league goals for 2 consecutive years.  This year he already had 8 prior to Christmas and was the best performing striker in the league and could've easily hit that 15 goal mark again.  I doubt you could name "numerous" players hitting those type of numbers consistently  in the top-tier of Scottish football since very few have been in recent years.  If Moult gets a chance at Rangers and scores 15 or more a season with the regularity he did for Motherwell he'd be a major asset to us.  Our top striker now, who is probably the best striker we've had since the summer of 2012, is sitting on 13 goals with 7 games left to play.  As I said, Moult also brings a lot to a team from a defensive point of view so it's not just about his goals either.  He can help defend set-pieces and corners because he's a big physical guy who's strong in the air and this is something we need.

I doubt Dembele, Sinclair, Edouard or Roberts will even be at celtic next season.  The first two want moves to a bigger league and Edouard and Roberts will return to their parent clubs after loan spells.  Getting quality strikers to Scotland isn't easy as we can see from the current forwards underperforming over at celtic and the only reason Griffiths stays with them is because he's a rabid bastard. 

14 minutes ago, Number5 said:

No one man is going to win us this league.  It'll take a collective effort.  A new manager, and a handful of quality players who bring qualities to the team we don't currently have.  One of the things we're badly lacking is fight and physicality and those are attributes Moult has in spades.  Not to mention, he has a consistently good goals return.

1 minute ago, TMB said:

No one man is going to win us this league.  It'll take a collective effort.  A new manager, and a handful of quality players who bring qualities to the team we don't currently have.  One of the things we're badly lacking is fight and physicality and those are attributes Moult has in spades.  Not to mention, he has a consistently good goals return.

Agree.

A style of play that comes from a manager will play a bigger part than the players we will bring in, I'd imagine, for the foreseeable, until we get genuine cash thrown at us.

I actually rate Moult. Think he's better than what we have. However the bench mark, and the only target, is those horrors.

Would they look to Moult to fire them to SPL success, nope. If we want to catch and overtake them then Moults not for us, if we can have him as a squad player then I think that's a good move. Starting 11. Nah.

6 minutes ago, Number5 said:

Would they look to Moult to fire them to SPL success, nope. If we want to catch and overtake them then Moults not for us, if we can have him as a squad player then I think that's a good move. Starting 11. Nah.

We currently play with a one striker system.  If Moult was brought in as a backup/alternative to Morelos I'd be fine with that.  Two very different types of players but both capable of leading the front line.  I think Cummings is a great little player but I don't think he's the right fit for us at this moment in time. 

We don't have £4m+ to spend on one attacker as celtic did with Sinclair.  They can't afford to keep spending that kind of money either hence the loans for Edouard, Roberts, and Musonda.  Moult for less than £1m would represents good value.  

7 minutes ago, Hadron Collider said:

So this is what we want going into a European program?  Substitute at best. FFS! Can we just let Mark Allan get on with his job. Let’s dump the deadwood and then see where we will be. Got to be level headed here lads!  Quality required. 

We play a one striker system and Morelos is worth £10m+ so we already have a quality option for that position.  Bringing in a solid backup isn't a bad idea considering how weak our bench is.  The departures of Miller and Herrera look certain.  There's also no guarantee that Cummings will be here next season as it seems we can't accommodate him and he's not getting the game time he so desperately wants.  

Also, the odds of us getting anywhere in Europe are slim so I doubt we're recruiting with that in mind.  The primary focus will be the Scottish league title and Moult is a proven performer in that competition.

2 minutes ago, TMB said:

We play a one striker system and Morelos is worth £10m+ so we already have a quality option for that position.  Bringing in a solid backup isn't a bad idea considering how weak our bench is.  The departures of Miller and Herrera look certain.  There's also no guarantee that Cummings will be here next season as it seems we can't accommodate him and he's not getting the game time he so desperately wants.  

Also, the odds of us getting anywhere in Europe are slim so I doubt we're recruiting with that in mind.  The primary focus will be the Scottish league title and Moult is a proven performer in that competition.

So you’re saying Cummings and Morelos will be gone? Moult is the answer? Not a chance. As I said quality required. 

6 minutes ago, Hadron Collider said:

So you’re saying Cummings and Morelos will be gone? Moult is the answer? Not a chance. As I said quality required. 

No, I don't think Morelos will be gone.  I said Morelos is worth a reported £10m+ so we already have a quality option for that position.  The point I made was regarding Moult being a more suitable backup than Cummings.  I think you need to read my post again.

8 minutes ago, TMB said:

No, I don't think Morelos will be gone.  I said Morelos is worth a reported £10m+ so we already have a quality option for that position.  The point I made was regarding Moult being a more suitable backup than Cummings.  I think you need to read my post again.

I hope you’re right that Alfredo will stay. System needs tweaked and massaged if you will to accommodate the team. I wouldn’t mind seeing Windass up front with Alfie. Who knows?  

7 hours ago, Inigo said:

I agree with this. We’ve applied the he can score x number of goals for this club so scoring y goals for us shouldn’t be a problem theory several times in recent years and in all honesty it hasn’t really worked out for any of the strikers we have signed (Sandaza, Boyd, Clark & even Cummings hasn’t been as good as expected yet). I’m not against signing Moult completely but we really need to do our homework on the player first because he won’t be as cheap as people think.

Comparing Moult to celtic strikers is irrelevant. We don’t have to be better than them. We have to be better than everyone else and beat those teams. We aren’t not challenging celtic this year because we’re not better than them or not beating them. We’re not challenging because we dropped points to other teams at home 

moult is good enough to score goals for us to win us games and fee seems to be reasonable to allow us to invest in defenders which is more important 

Just now, BryceRFC1 said:

Comparing Moult to celtic strikers is irrelevant. We don’t have to be better than them. We have to be better than everyone else and beat those teams. We aren’t not challenging celtic this year because we’re not better than them or not beating them. We’re not challenging because we dropped points to other teams at home 

This all day long.  We have added up the stupid losses this season many times.  Those are the games that have us sat tentatively in 2nd, rather than right up there.

56 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

I agree with this. We’ve applied the he can score x number of goals for this club so scoring y goals for us shouldn’t be a problem theory several times in recent years and in all honesty it hasn’t really worked out for any of the strikers we have signed (Sandaza, Boyd, Clark & even Cummings hasn’t been as good as expected yet). I’m not against signing Moult completely but we really need to do our homework on the player first because he won’t be as cheap as people think.

Sandaza had one good season in the top-tier in which he scored 14 league goals.  Moult scored 15 for two consecutive years and was on course to do it a third time prior to him leaving in December.  

Clark and Cummings scored in the lower leagues and are in no way comparable to Moult who has done it consistently in the top-tier of Scottish football.

Also, the first time we signed Boyd from Kilmarnock was due to his goals against other Scottish teams.  He went on to score 160+ goals and became the all-time leading scorer in the SPL.  celtic signed Griffiths from Hibs after he showed good goal-scoring form with them.  So sometimes it obviously does work to sign these guys who are proven against other Scottish teams.

Just now, DBBTB said:

We’ve dropped a lot of daft points this season but we have still only managed to take one point from a possible nine against them this season. To challenge them we are going to need to beat them and are players like Moult going to add the quality we need to beat them?

Moult's scored against them a few times so yes he can potentially help us to beat them.

Also, celtic can bring guys like Roberts, Musonda, Dembele and Edouard to their club because they can offer potential Champions League football.  It's not as easy for our team to go out and get the same standard of player.  Morelos is the first decent striker we've had since 2012 and he'll probably finish around that 15 goals mark just as Moult did over the past few years.  15-20 league goals is a good return and doing consistently ain't bad.

9 hours ago, Number5 said:

I think thumb is massive over-rated, dembele is above the SPL and fuck knows about the other thing.

Bottom line is the fenians aren't going to go out and replace any of those 3 if they went with Moult because he isn't enough. 

The thumb is head and shoulders above Dembele tbh