Alan Hutton - Video

julescotia

5 hours ago, LaudrupsPatrickBoots said:

I just remember him turning them down initially but then signing for them shortly after which I found weird as it's not often you see a bid left open for a club to come back with a new contract offer after a player has knocked them back.

Then the rumours came about that he was told to sign for them and possibly even paid to go.

He told us he wanted to stay and knocked them back. We told him we didn’t care, we need the money, so accept their next contract offer. 

Remember reading on forums that Smith wasn't too sure about him when he replaced PLG and there was reports that we were looking to shift him for around £500k - give it a year and we managed to get £8m for him, highlights the difference a good manager can do for a player.

I'm sure we had to give him a million to get him out the door, he didn't want to leave, cost us the title that year IMO

7 hours ago, NixonRFC said:

Remember reading on forums that Smith wasn't too sure about him when he replaced PLG and there was reports that we were looking to shift him for around £500k - give it a year and we managed to get £8m for him, highlights the difference a good manager can do for a player.

I'm sure we had to give him a million to get him out the door, he didn't want to leave, cost us the title that year IMO

Even before his 18 month golden period he was decent to good. People forget that he was young and developing until then.

Glad Walter kept his powder dry.

6 hours ago, Inigo said:

Even before his 18 month golden period he was decent to good. People forget that he was young and developing until then.

Glad Walter kept his powder dry.

He was coming along nicely until he broke his leg, that set him back, he never looked the same player, it took him a long time to recover from that, I think he was out about 6/7 months but it took him about 2 years to start looking like the player he was before he broke his leg.

I'd also say it was more like a 10 month golden period rather than an 18 month one, it was around the time we hammered Hapoel Tel Aviv that he started to look like a Walter Smith player, he was gone less than a year later.