McCoist: Suggests clarity on New Manager may be forthcoming soon

I read an article about Frank De Boer's tactics last night.  It seems he's heavily influenced by the 3-4-3 formation.  I was on a Crystal Palace forum and they said it was a 3-4-3 he was using there too but switched to 4-3-3 when results didn't go his way.  Most of it reads like Warburton with the 'recycling of possession', 'the high press', 'dribbling on the wings'.  Unlike Warburton he seems willing to switch up his tactics, his wingers are more direct, and he's not against hitting it long at times.  I think he sounds like Rodgers in his philosophy to be honest.  Rodgers understand the need for physicality and aggression within British football.  If Frank did come here I would hope he's prepared to make this team more physical and willing to battle as that's what we need, not more technical players with no heart.  It's an appointment that would worry me as I do feel we'd end up with more of the same over emphasis on passing while the physicality and battle in our team is neglected.

I'd rather have a more pragmatic manager at this point.  Someone who understands the British game and likes to build big physical teams.  Clarke would still be my number one choice.  I know he's unpopular on here but I think he'd be the safest bet.  

46 minutes ago, Big Al II said:

We need someone to play to a formation that suits the players at our disposal, not someone who'd rather be sacked after 4 games than change their formation cause it didnt sit right with their philosophy of the game.

Hats off to him hope he's successful, but not what we need atm.

He did try to adapt though.

Just two new players arrived on permanent deals: his former Ajax charge Jairo Riedewald, and Mamadou Sakho on the last day of the transfer window, by which point De Boer had already decided to knuckle down and focus his attentions on a creaking defence.

“That’s why I played five in the back, 5-4-1, very defensive,” he says. “Not my kind of idea, but necessary with the players that I had at that moment. You can say, why didn't you start with 4-3-3? No. For example, [Wilfried] Zaha is the most important player at the club. You want him at his strength, not always running after his wing-back. And defensively we were very vulnerable, so OK, we’ll put one extra. Because it was Frank De Boer, everybody thought it was 3-4-3 and too offensive, but it wasn’t Frank De Boer at all.

4 hours ago, To Be A Ranger said:

At Palace he showed how stubborn he was by continuing with his 'total football philosophy' even when his team couldn't buy a win. We can't risk someone who wont win at all costs. We need a winning mentality. Silky soccer can come afterwards. Hes not our answer just now.

He was in charge 20 minutes ffs :lol: 

Well if it's not Murty lets hope that's not announced before he takes the team to Hampden ... after Caixinha I wouldn't put anything past this board although perhaps the new guy in the stand as a re run of Pedro's only decent old firm game may not be a bad isea 

5 hours ago, Goosetav said:

No

You saying his style of play worked at Ajax is irrelevant because he won't be working with that standard of player here. I want someone with the total opposite style.

He was also up against far better teams than he would be here. Again I'm not saying he is my preferred choice or style either, but you can't entirely write him off because you think his style would only work with better players. A good coach would be able to work with any level, and that's exactly what I think he is.

For those who have said the board seem obsessed with attractive passing football, doesn't the pursuit of Mcinnes prove that to be incorrect?

I think we have more players currently at the club who could thrive in a de boer type approach than we do in a Warnock or similar.

3 minutes ago, Deanzmeanzheinz said:

Off topic i know - but what a player Denis Bergkamp was - fuckin magnificent! 

Unbelievable player. I think we came close to signing him before he joined Arsenal from Inter.

The Dutch/Ajax philosophy on football is how the game should be played in my opinion. Hence why I lean against us choosing a pragmatic direct football type, albeit I understand why people want that.

25 minutes ago, Colin Traive said:

Apart from the bogus “season ticket sales boost” garbage, can someone please tell me one benefit in announcing a new manager before the scum game?

McCoist is talking shite?

Provides a lift among the club and the support if its a good name.

Motivates the players as they’re playing for their future and also may compel them to play harder for Murty as they obviously like him and know he won’t be at the club next season so may try to give him a good send off by beating the scum and winning the SC.

9 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

For those who have said the board seem obsessed with attractive passing football, doesn't the pursuit of Mcinnes prove that to be incorrect?

I think we have more players currently at the club who could thrive in a de boer type approach than we do in a Warnock or similar.

Think all it proved is they are beyond incompetent