Joseph Lapira on Trial

Frankie

Didn't we once before sign an Irish American? I think he went on to play for Eire after he left us. We also have an Irish internationalist on the coaching staff of course. Trouble is I can't remember his name. ;)

Hugh O'Neill is the guy you're thinking of...

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't we once before sign an Irish American? I think he went on to play for Eire after he left us. We also have an Irish internationalist on the coaching staff of course. Trouble is I can't remember his name. ;)

Remember Shug well, set the heather on fire here and became world famous after that ! Funny thing think Lapira will follow in his footsteps ! :rolleyes::sherlock:

That's the guy. Thanks.

Remember Shug well, set the heather on fire here and became world famous after that ! Funny thing think Lapira will follow in his footsteps ! :rolleyes::sherlock:

As was the case with O'Neill's obvious minimal reputation and contribution to RFC, I personally doubt Lapira will become a Rangers first team regular in the future but that's the whole point of a trial.

He might be worth a year's contract to aid his development - he might not. We'll soon find out.

have we ever signed someone on a trial thats actually gone on to do well in the first team?

Jerome Bonnisell won a contract and did OK in a number of games.

He did very well and I wish we'd kept him.

But he didn't win a contract, he was a loan deal - contracted to Bordeaux.

Where do you get your info...?

Bonnissel joined, after a trial in our Dubai training camp, from Bordeaux on a 6 month contract (with a 2 year option). Not a loan whatsoever.

Just in case:

http://www.soccerbase.com/players_details.sd?playerid=19359

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ers/2694219.stm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J%C3%A9r%C3%B4me_Bonnissel

:)

You do realize,of course,if we don,t sign this guy its because he,s an Oirish Kaflik.

I'm sure the usual suspects in the Fourth Estate will have their pens ready to write just that... ;)

Not to mention scrutinising threads like this....

You do realize,of course,if we don,t sign this guy its because he,s an Oirish Kaflik.

I'm sure the usual suspects in the Fourth Estate will have their pens ready to write just that... ;)

Hope we sign him (and he's good enough)...they always show their self up on these occasions. Note their reaction to PLG becoming our manager.

Ireland prospect gets Rangers chance

Rangers are taking a close look at Republic of Ireland international Joseph Lapira after handing the Baton Rouge Capitals striker a trial.

The 20-year-old was expected to come to Scotland to train with Aberdeen but has made Murray Park his first port of call and was training on Monday.

Louisiana-born Lapira, who has an Irish mother, won his first cap for the Republic as a substitute against Ecuador on May 23, despite his amateur status.

He is the current holder of the MAC Hermann Trophy, awarded to the best US college player. Past winners have included Claudio Reyna, Alexi Lalas and Brad Friedel.

Lapira won that award in December 2006 on the back of his performances for Notre Dame.

_44016319_josephlapira203.jpg

Some good names to follow in the footsteps of...

Hugh O'Neill was offered a contract but went back to the States for personal reasons (his father was ill or something).

Bonnisell was a good player but was injury-prone and wanted a lot of money. He did well for Fulham in the Premiership before getting injured again.

Where do you get your info...?

http://www.4thegame.com/club/fulham-fc/pla...ebonnissel.html

Which, it seems, was horribly wrong :pipehorse:

Bonnissel joined, after a trial in our Dubai training camp, from Bordeaux on a 6 month contract (with a 2 year option). Not a loan whatsoever.

Just in case:

http://www.soccerbase.com/players_details.sd?playerid=19359

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ers/2694219.stm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J%C3%A9r%C3%B4me_Bonnissel

:)

No biggie, I stand corrected (tu)

Either way I just wish we had held onto him - he was a classy wee left back who deserved better than being turned away in favour of flippin' Vignal.

US-based Republic of Ireland international Joseph Lapira is training with Rangers.

The 20-year-old striker, who plays for the Baton Rouge Capitals, was expected to have a trial with Aberdeen.

However, the Louisiana-born forward, who has an Irish mother, has won the chance to try and win a move to Ibrox.

Lapira was named 'college player of the year' in 2006, following in the footsteps of former Rangers midfielder Claudio Reyna.

He made his international debut in May, when a makeshift Republic of Ireland side drew with Ecuador in New York

It words like those that bring on the doubt. I want Rangers to be linked with players with ability head and shoulders above the sort of players Aberdeen are looking at. :angry2:

US-based Republic of Ireland international Joseph Lapira is training with Rangers.

The 20-year-old striker, who plays for the Baton Rouge Capitals, was expected to have a trial with Aberdeen.

However, the Louisiana-born forward, who has an Irish mother, has won the chance to try and win a move to Ibrox.

Lapira was named 'college player of the year' in 2006, following in the footsteps of former Rangers midfielder Claudio Reyna.

He made his international debut in May, when a makeshift Republic of Ireland side drew with Ecuador in New York

It words like those that bring on the doubt. I want Rangers to be linked with players with ability head and shoulders above the sort of players Aberdeen are looking at. :angry2:

This is normally true, but a 20 year old who currently holds an award that Friedal, Reyna and Lalas have won in the past obviously has something about him. It's just getting a break into British football that he needs and with him still being classed as an "amatuer" maybe Aberdeen were the only team, bar ourselves, who were prepared to take a chance on him.

Should we sign him on a year contract or whatever I wouldn't be suprised to see him turn out to be a bit of a gem!

Guest orangpendek

tbh if he has pace, and only pace, he's probably worth a 2 year deal. sebo only has strength and we paid 1.8m for him. pace is the highest valued commodity in a young striker (assuming he can hit a coo's arse with a banjo) - unless he's a total duffer i'd be willing to have a punt on the basis he can shift. i give you henry, fast but not rated at monaco, coached into a world beater, and jonathon johanssen, fast but unloved at FC tallin, coached into....er....well, maybe not.

ps i quite liked johanssen.

He has a pretty good goal return and his game appears to be as a withdrawn striker. He dropped deep to pick the ball up a lot when he played for the ROI in that game!

I think he's worth a giving a trial to. and we could stick him in the reserves for a year to see how he progresses furthur.

It's a no win-no lose situation, he's not going to cost a fortine, infact he'd cost pennies in terms of wages.