Wee Bud: I forgot to remember how good he was

Watching some old footage of wee Bud playing in the 1960's/1970's.  Perhaps it's advanced age or distractions but there are some time when I'll forget how good a player has been.  He played in the 1960's for us but was still at the top of his game for the 1978 World Cup and returned to Ibrox in 1980 for an Indian summer.  Quick with great control and a good crosser of the ball.  If I ever meet him, I'll offer him a fag and tell him how much joy he brought to bears of a certain vintage.

Great wee player for us . 

I remember him saying , when he sat on the ball to take the piss against the tarriers in the 1970 League Cup win , Willie Waddell fined him a weeks wages . Didn't seem to learn his lesson , right enough , cos I'm pretty sure he did it again against Bayern in the ECWC semi in 72 :lol: 

1 hour ago, The Widow's Son said:

Watching some old footage of wee Bud playing in the 1960's/1970's.  Perhaps it's advanced age or distractions but there are some time when I'll forget how good a player has been.  He played in the 1960's for us but was still at the top of his game for the 1978 World Cup and returned to Ibrox in 1980 for an Indian summer.  Quick with great control and a good crosser of the ball.  If I ever meet him, I'll offer him a fag and tell him how much joy he brought to bears of a certain vintage.

Had a fag and a bottle of bud with him a few months back.cracking double act with that wee fella stein.great night

Told me to get out of his f@@@ing way when I walked into him going to a European night outside the central station. I was walking backward conducting the singing.

He had his fur coat on so he was easy to recognise.

How can you forget how massive a Legend he is when he was part of the team who scored 2 goals along with another Legend Coin Stein who scored the other who brought a European trophy back to Ibrox, our only European trophy ?

Wullie, oh Wullie Johnston on the wing, I still remember this, I was right behind it in the middle terracing that night. 

Just think, when he did this he had defenders like Schwartzenbeck, Beckenbauer and Breitner along with the great Sepp Maier in goals in front of him, all future World Cup winners...........

9 hours ago, The Widow's Son said:

I remember 1980 league game v Killie where we thumped them 8-1

I can be seen in the crowd wearing my WBA strip in tribute to my hero at that time

The Ecwc semi final v Bayern game summed Bud up

A team of world class defenders could not handle him

Wish we had someone like him on the park nowadays playing for us

5 hours ago, mearns loyal said:

Have had the good fortune to enjoy his company on a couple of occasions and for those who haven’t as yet had that pleasure - rest assured you will not be disappointed...

I met him over 20yrs ago, the girl I was seeing at the time stayed in kircaldy, she took me to his pub that he owned....met him and it made my night....for the life of me I can't remember the pubs name....anyone remember?