Could Walter do a job for 1 season

MattyBlue

With Bayern Munich just announcing Niko Kovac will take over as manager from July 1st, the first thing i thought was didn't Jupp Heynckes only go their at the beginning of this season.

Yes he did only go their at the beginning of this season, for the third time in almost 10 years.

To me its a similar situation to us, bar the fact hes inheriting a world class squad, and isn't working for a broken board offering him next to no support.

It just shows me if a club of that quality and size can keep returning to this man, i think we should at least approach Walter at least to get an idea if was interested.

After Pep left Bayern they were left in a bit of a hole regarding a replacement IIRC so took the safest option to keep sailing along while they find a SUITABLE longer term replacement.

I know ill obviously get slated about let him enjoy retirement, and iv somewhat always agreed with that, but IMO hes literally the only guy who could GENUINELY stop 10IAR and at least lay sold solid foundations.

I see it as what the fuck do we really have to lose at the given moment, and if were gonna talk about tarnishing legendary status, surely to fuck we just all appreciate what hes working with, and that at least we take comfort in the fact their is a man at the club genuinely fighting tooth and nail for us!

Smith was interested in the Scotland gig, they wouldn't have pursued him if they weren't given some encouragement, that to me tell me he's not totally against the idea of returning to management, the fact that we've not tried to get him back in when McInnes knocked us back tells me he wouldn't have been interested, if he was then he has enough contacts in the game to make that known to Dave King.

1 minute ago, FSM said:

I love how folk come onto these threads with cries of "Leave Walter in peace" or "Let him enjoy his retirement". It's not like he would be forced at gunpoint to take up the role if we asked him. If he fancies it, he says aye, if not, he says naw.

This:tu:

10 minutes ago, FSM said:

I love how folk come onto these threads with cries of "Leave Walter in peace" or "Let him enjoy his retirement". It's not like he would be forced against his will to take up the role if we asked him. If he fancies it, he says aye, if not, he says naw.

Agreed.

The usual 'ruin his reputation' stuff get's wheeled out as well. 

It wouldn't ruin his reputation, we would all know he's doing us a turn and would be the biggest task he's had in a Rangers dug out to date. If it didn't work it wouldn't be for the lack of trying. 

I'd go as far to say if Walter can't turn it around and stop 10 then not sure many others could.

2 minutes ago, Sasa'onlyPLGsuccess'Papac said:

I would've appointed him after Caixinha was sacked til the end of the season and taken it from there.

Maybe its too late now but he was genuinely interested in the Scotland job so that suggests he would still fancy management.

But managing Scotland is nothing compared to managing a club like Rangers,  would love to think he would return, but he deserves time with his family and expecially his gran kids now as he has earned it,  and to be honest managing a club like Rangers is a 24/7 job.