Graham Potter

Zander1

Just now, stewaj3 said:

By all over the shop I meant disorganised and chaotic, lacking structure and delivering very little/nothing.

The youth team is doing very well and is looking more organised than it has in ages, scouting structure is difficult to gauge but we have started it again from scratch in the summer and will see how much progress they’ve made in the summer I guess.

58 minutes ago, eskbankloyal said:

He’s an interesting option. But with a squad that has now chucked it under 2, arguably 3 managers, not sure his unique approaches would sit well. 

Would be a massive gamble 

With Billy Reid as his trusty number two it might not be such a massive gamble.

Out of the 27 bookies on oddschecker only BV has a book open.

Just now, Siwel said:

The youth team is doing very well and is looking more organised than it has in ages, scouting structure is difficult to gauge but we have started it again from scratch in the summer and will see how much progress they’ve made in the summer I guess.

I disagree, I think the youth system is a joke, the calibre of player is nowhere near good enough. There is a lot of work to be done. By my reckoning 3 players have been 1st team regulars in the last 5 years. Mccrorie, McKay and MacLeod.

In my opinion we need to be doing far better than that in terms of numbers and quality. We are not finding the right talent and rather than challenging for a place in the 1st team they are going abroad and playing other youth teams, which are basically glorified friendlys to those sides, winning them means nothing.

The older youth sides should have been competing to win things, what did they win last year?

As for the scouting system, we brought in jobs for the boys in the summer, we had a January window which was the most unimaginative window ever. The truth is in terms of finding players abroad we are useless, the likes of hibs, Dundee and Motherwell all do a better job than us at finding decent foreign talent.

The only foreign player we signed was Morelos, out with pedros signings, JJ identified him, what have our other scouts done?

2 minutes ago, chris182 said:

Another gamble we cannot afford. The time to experiment is gone. We need tried and tested - pay the going rate for a tried and tested manager Mr King

Who is the tried and tested though?

Clarke who appears to want a move back down south once his stock is high at Kilmarnock where he appears happy?

Neil who has never worked at the highest level with demands such as ours?

A foreigner who has no links to Scottish football other than as a player years back?

I agree with the concept of going for as little a gamble as possible but even then I don't see any candidate who absolutely fits the bill.

52 minutes ago, BlueKnight87 said:

Betting odds always need to be taken with a pinch of salt. Market changes constantly. 

Potter has done a cracking job at Östersunds. On free transfers and loans he's built a sqaud that went from the bottom to the top flight and Europe.

It's a big gamble but if he can replicate that at Ibrox. 

Certainty for the job here then as we can't afford any fucker.

30 minutes ago, TheGovanIniesta said:

Much better option than Mark Hughes, Pardew, Moyes, McInnes, Neil, FDB and the rest of the desperate times duds

Him, MPH, Warnock or Clarke

Imperative the next manager is held in far higher regard than the duds playing for us unless it’s completely justified 

Gut says it's between Clarke, FDB and Neil. 

MPH should be on the list but board blew that one going for failure mciness. 

Warnock signed a new contract and Cardiff look likely to go up.

26 minutes ago, stewaj3 said:

I disagree, I think the youth system is a joke, the calibre of player is nowhere near good enough. There is a lot of work to be done. By my reckoning 3 players have been 1st team regulars in the last 5 years. Mccrorie, McKay and MacLeod.

In my opinion we need to be doing far better than that in terms of numbers and quality. We are not finding the right talent and rather than challenging for a place in the 1st team they are going abroad and playing other youth teams, which are basically glorified friendlys to those sides, winning them means nothing.

The older youth sides should have been competing to win things, what did they win last year?

As for the scouting system, we brought in jobs for the boys in the summer, we had a January window which was the most unimaginative window ever. The truth is in terms of finding players abroad we are useless, the likes of hibs, Dundee and Motherwell all do a better job than us at finding decent foreign talent.

The only foreign player we signed was Morelos, out with pedros signings, JJ identified him, what have our other scouts done?

We didn’t have a scouting system was this time last year and you’re expecting them to be bringing in foreign gems after about 5 months of work, You don’t think these things take time? 

Jobs for the boys :lol:

Aye how shite is it that our youth players are playing teams from abroad who have higher calibre players than the Scottish youth league does, that’s a shite idea isn’t it. Our players could learn so much more by playing Partick thistle under 20s 4 times a season. Again our youth system has been in place for about 3 years that’s nowhere near enough time to be expecting us to be pushing through youth straight into the first team consistently, which hardly any team in the world does anyway.

7 minutes ago, Siwel said:

We didn’t have a scouting system was this time last year and you’re expecting them to be bringing in foreign gems after about 5 months of work, You don’t think these things take time? 

Jobs for the boys :lol:

Aye how shite is it that our youth players are playing teams from abroad who have higher calibre players than the Scottish youth league does, that’s a shite idea isn’t it. Our players could learn so much more by playing Partick thistle under 20s 4 times a season. Again our youth system has been in place for about 3 years that’s nowhere near enough time to be expecting us to be pushing through youth straight into the first team consistently, which hardly any team in the world does anyway.

John Brown is a jobs for the boys appointment. 

34 minutes ago, BlueKnight87 said:

Gut says it's between Clarke, FDB and Neil. 

MPH should be on the list but board blew that one going for failure mciness. 

Warnock signed a new contract and Cardiff look likely to go up.

I’d go for Clarke or MPH personally, solid, no projects or buzzwords, just hard work.

Neil I don’t know enough about to fully judge but apparently he’s rhabid which is too far for me.

Warnock apparently wouldn’t go to the BPL again so if true due to his fondness for us I’d at least ask the question, another manager who doesn’t feed his own ego or believe his own hype and ‘philosophy’

42 minutes ago, TheGovanIniesta said:

I’d go for Clarke or MPH personally, solid, no projects or buzzwords, just hard work.

Neil I don’t know enough about to fully judge but apparently he’s rhabid which is too far for me.

Warnock apparently wouldn’t go to the BPL again so if true due to his fondness for us I’d at least ask the question, another manager who doesn’t feed his own ego or believe his own hype and ‘philosophy’

I'd be going for Clarke or MPH.

Clarke we know can get results in the league with a limited budget. A lot feel he'll do a Mciness and say no. We still at least need to ask the question. 

MPH record of turning mediocre teams into champions is outstanding. I just don't think he is on this board radar. There was a chance to get him after Pedro. He came out and said he was interested. But our board clearly weren't intersted. Hopefully that will have changed. 

2 hours ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

There no obvious stand out option, never before has everyone out there been such a gamble. Which I think potter really would be too.

I don't envisage much transfer budget unless we miraculously move on under performers, and whoever comes in is likely to have to work primarily with the current squad until summer 2019 when a good number more players go out of contract.

With Billy Reid as no2 I'd put Potter top of the list of the left field options, higher than FdB, Rio MPH etc. He seems to be able to get players to outperform collectively their individual abilities. And Reid takes no shit in a dressing room, and knows the Scottish game.

I reckon it's (If we know they'd come) Clarke Neil or Potter. Each a gamble for differing reasons but each with key strengths that will be needed too.

I suggested Reid in another thread as didn’t think we could get Potter but both would be an interesting one.

Sure Reid is a bluenose too.

21 minutes ago, bigsasasfloopyhair said:

I suggested Reid in another thread as didn’t think we could get Potter but both would be an interesting one.

Sure Reid is a bluenose too.

Yeah pretty sure he is. From what I've read it's their combination that is what makes them the success they are.

1 hour ago, Siwel said:

Forgot about him, job for the boy then I guess.

And the track record of the other guys appointed? Jobs for the boys all round.

As for the youth system 3 years and yet a grand total of zero faces in the under 20s side who are pushing to get in the first team. Part of the youth system should be having under 20s who are capable of pushing for that and coming in to challenge for places. We shouldn't be talking one or 2, we should be talking 5 or 6. 

Comparisons to other youth systems are mad. Our budget is far superior to most in this league, so we should be able to attract a decent calibre of youth player. Our first team is underperforming, so it shouldn't be difficult for these leads to push to get in the team.

1 minute ago, stewaj3 said:

And the track record of the other guys appointed? Jobs for the boys all round.

As for the youth system 3 years and yet a grand total of zero faces in the under 20s side who are pushing to get in the first team. Part of the youth system should be having under 20s who are capable of pushing for that and coming in to challenge for places. We shouldn't be talking one or 2, we should be talking 5 or 6. 

Comparisons to other youth systems are mad. Our budget is far superior to most in this league, so we should be able to attract a decent calibre of youth player. Our first team is underperforming, so it shouldn't be difficult for these leads to push to get in the team.

Well that’s a load of shite

So you’re saying all our youth players are shite? 

8 minutes ago, Siwel said:

Well that’s a load of shite

So you’re saying all our youth players are shite? 

Load of Shite? It's not though.

Im saying everything we currently do is wrong. From boardroom down, it's wrong. 

You said 3 years is not enough time to get youth into the first team, I'd argue that 3 years is more than enough time. If the current lot of the elder batch of youth can't do that, then they aren't good enough. Then that filters down. If the next batch aren't good enough to replace folk in that group then they won't be good enough.

If you think what we do at that level is acceptable, we'll agree to disagree.