Steven Gerrard MBE - New Manager

Wullie72

1 minute ago, The Ibrox Derry said:

I will tell you the difference. Gerrard is an intelligent guy but has his feet firmly on the ground. Butcher is a big mong who thinks he's intelligent. 

Gary Neville seems smart enough (going by the Stevie G scale anyway). He seems to be fairly grounded.

Utterly shite as a manager though.

• Replies 8.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm starting to feel this move is a 'make or break' gamble by the board. 

He is obviously gonna need and want a whack of money to spend before he decides whether to come to us or not. 

King said there will be funds for the new manager. 

After the pedro debacle and the money he got, this could go seriously tits up. I fear for our club if that happens again. 

This is too much of a gamble to be a 'thinking outside of the box' decision. 

I hope to fuck it goes well, but fuck me, what a journey we've been on and continue to be. WATP 

We are entering the unknown with this one. Think that's why there are a few conflicting views. On one hand we have one of the most respected english players of the last 20 years about to join us, in the other hand he has two years experience as an under 18s coach and hasn't enough experience to manage a club our size.

I think he will know what an opportunity this is for him, and will work his butt off to make it a success. He appears to have a hell of a work ethic and commands respect. He also makes sense being a youth coach, if the club are still wanting to pursue the younger player route, then he has practice working with them (then again so has Murty). 

I'm coming round to the idea and will back him like all Rangers managers deserve to be backed. Last chance saloon for the board though, and if they get this one wrong then they need to be chased.

4 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

Gary Neville seems smart enough (going by the Stevie G scale anyway). He seems to be fairly grounded.

Utterly shite as a manager though.

He went into a failing team near the end of a season in a foreign country.

Theres a huge difference. Gerrard has a whole pre season to stamp his authority and sign his own players.

30 minutes ago, GOAT said:

Us and gerrard are actually sky’s top news stories.  I’m beginning to think, could he be a name that could be the difference between us getting a championship style player or a premier league style player.  He’s a massive name. If we are going for him we should be doing what we done with souness though and get an experienced number 2 next to him that knows the club. 

Durham and Goughie on talksport were saying it would be Gary McAllister? Dont know where they got that from though.

2 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

I literally refuse to even read your post because you have made it bold to stand out.

it done it itself, sometimes it pops up in italics sometimes bold, I cant even get a wee photo under my username post photos or fuck all, so it wisnae me:mutley:

7 minutes ago, Virtuoso said:

We're hardly in a position for a future manager to kick-start his career / use us a stepping stone.

Nothing exciting about it.

These days, don't they all.

We're hardly in a position to get the the right calibre of tried and tested manager who wins things and even then no guarantees, just less risk.

Just now, Blue Avenger said:

These days, don't they all.

We're hardly in a position to get the the right calibre of tried and tested manager who wins things and even then no guarantees, just less risk.

Less risk is a good thing

34 minutes ago, GOAT said:

Us and gerrard are actually sky’s top news stories.  I’m beginning to think, could he be a name that could be the difference between us getting a championship style player or a premier league style player.  He’s a massive name. If we are going for him we should be doing what we done with souness though and get an experienced number 2 next to him that knows the club. 

Could argue one of the reasons of appointing him is already happening. The exposure has been mental.

Not happy with this at all, miles away from being someone I would have wanted in the job at this particular time. That said, wish we would hurry up and confirm something. Can't stand the thought of another 1 going tits up. 

Archived