Steven Gerrard MBE - New Manager

Wullie72

1 hour ago, gsa said:

Gerrard explains: “I spoke to Jürgen and we agreed after a few chats that the 18s was the right age group because it still gives you a bit of a spotlight with the coverage it gets but it is a place where you can make a lot of mistakes and grow and learn. Every manager and coach I have spoken to has said I will make loads of mistakes, and your first job is better to be away from the cameras. The other offers I got [managing MK Dons], it would have been learning on the job at the deep end and I probably wasn’t ready for those jobs. I might have been but I didn’t want to take any risks, especially when there is no timescale or plan of where I want to be in a certain time, so the 18s made sense.

“It has been really good so far. I have been shadowing five or six coaches at the academy and been mentored by Steve Heighway and Alex as well. I am still waiting to start in terms of being a No1 coach that leads a team. Shadowing is a bit different, I am more in the background. I haven’t had to make any big decisions, or any substitutions, formations or tactics yet.”

It don't read as encouraging at all.  We're not an ideal club to learn football management as every mistake will be highlighted, scrutinised, and used as a stick to beat him with.  Let's fact it, he'll need to come in and start winning immediately or he'll be gone by the turn of the year.  

• Replies 8.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, TMB said:

It don't read as encouraging at all.  We're not an ideal club to learn football management as every mistake will be highlighted, scrutinised, and used as a stick to beat him with.  Let's fact it, he'll need to come in and start winning immediately or he'll be gone by the turn of the year.  

To be fair to Gerrard, I can't see him as the type of guy who'd spin the media a load of shite about 'learning' like MW did. And I don't see him doing a Murty and choosing not to talk to the team after an embarrassing performance.

Still don't want him near us though.

1 minute ago, TMB said:

Gerrard explains: “I spoke to Jürgen and we agreed after a few chats that the 18s was the right age group because it still gives you a bit of a spotlight with the coverage it gets but it is a place where you can make a lot of mistakes and grow and learn. Every manager and coach I have spoken to has said I will make loads of mistakes, and your first job is better to be away from the cameras. The other offers I got [managing MK Dons], it would have been learning on the job at the deep end and I probably wasn’t ready for those jobs. I might have been but I didn’t want to take any risks, especially when there is no timescale or plan of where I want to be in a certain time, so the 18s made sense.

“It has been really good so far. I have been shadowing five or six coaches at the academy and been mentored by Steve Heighway and Alex as well. I am still waiting to start in terms of being a No1 coach that leads a team. Shadowing is a bit different, I am more in the background. I haven’t had to make any big decisions, or any substitutions, formations or tactics yet.”

He is manager of a unders team at pool now. IF barton was offered the MKdons job he would of took it SG at the time said he didn't feel ready and credit to him for that. 

I'll  say again he wont take it if he doesn't feel he can do it and to me thats pleasing 

13 minutes ago, KingKirk said:

He is manager of a unders team at pool now. IF barton was offered the MKdons job he would of took it SG at the time said he didn't feel ready and credit to him for that. 

I'll  say again he wont take it if he doesn't feel he can do it and to me thats pleasing 

I wouldn't have Barton or Gerrard here.  These are former players with little to no idea how to manage a football team of this size.  There's guys in the SPFL right now with over a decade of experience managing teams, some have won titles, some have managed in the EPL, and Gerrard has done nothing but work with an U18 team.  Gerrard wont get time to make any mistakes here if we go 7pts behind in the league or lose the first two Old Firms the pressure to get him sacked will be very real.  

3 hours ago, Ace said:

Personally it's not my preferred choice.

I accept that any manager is a risk however you try your best to derisk your managerial choices . 

You search for a manager with experience.

You search for a manager with even a resemblance of success

You don't replace a manager, who has been criticised from all quarters for lacking the experience and replace them some who has even less ... in the role being filled.

Yes, he's a proven player, a proven winner & a proven champion at the very highest reaches of his career but in a very different role.

Now, don't get me wrong, I will back him to the hilt if thats our choice ... doesn't mean I think it's the right one, I just hope it is.

Totally agree and especially with the 'manager with experience' Point, as a big name means nothing. I do feel it's a slap in the face for Murty with the club talking about hiring a under 18's coach before Murty has reached the end of season. How's that going to motivate him and the team to try and secure 2nd place?

2 hours ago, StrzBlue said:

I recognise the reservations about lack of experience. 

Gerrard will demand success from the players, board to propel Rangers to the highest summit of Scottish football once again.

Furthermore European football-participation  will no longer be overwhelmed by blind panic management . This is a man that can take us forward on every level.

His name alone will assist our player recruitment and sponsorship potential across uk and global markets for years to come. Our opponents know this very well. Hence the shit- storm of negative commenting from their media puppets today.

This has all the hallmarks of being a  monumental appointment  in  the history of our club.

I also think attending the recent old firm game at ibrox initiated a mesmerising appreciation of our club and magnificent supporters.Rangers  are the quintessential British football club . 

A proud club with honour and loyalty enshrined in our DNA

We need to manipulate every strand to bring our club forward. The cesspit SPFL management / player circus is not the Rangers tradition. We must always aim never to just compete. We must wipe the floor with any club, player, or media that stands in our way of winning titles or trophies. 

I really hope we get him.??

Strasbear?

1 hour ago, Sweetheart said:

How's that going to motivate him and the team to try and secure 2nd place?

Did you see Murty's recent press conference?  The guy is deluded, has no idea what's going on behind the scenes, and I'm certain he lost the dressing room after the Scottish Cup pumping to celtic.  I actually feel sorry for the guy.

10 minutes ago, TMB said:

Did you see Murty's recent press conference?  The guy is deluded, has no idea what's going on behind the scenes, and I'm certain he lost the dressing room after the Scottish Cup pumping to celtic.  I actually feel sorry for the guy.

I’m amazed mores not been made about his comments 

was just reading them there he’s saying dressing room problems, no money, not his signings and players in the dressing room he can’t compare anything to 

5 hours ago, TMB said:

That’s exactly why he needs an experienced coach beside him.

Archived