Steven Gerrard MBE - New Manager

Wullie72

• Replies 8.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Deanzmeanzheinz said:

Just because he was a good player doesnt mean he cant be a good manager - its a gamble, no doubt about it.

A bad choice though? You could be wrong - time will tell. 

I think we are all getting carried away because we need a change after years of failure , and the excitement of trying to change that ,  but losing sight of the fact SG has no managerial experience.  Any other time we would say this is too big a gamble but for some peculiar reason we seem to ignore the warning signs . 

Personally it's not my preferred choice.

I accept that any manager is a risk however you try your best to derisk your managerial choices . 

You search for a manager with experience.

You search for a manager with even a resemblance of success

You don't replace a manager, who has been criticised from all quarters for lacking the experience and replace them some who has even less ... in the role being filled.

Yes, he's a proven player, a proven winner & a proven champion at the very highest reaches of his career but in a very different role.

Now, don't get me wrong, I will back him to the hilt if thats our choice ... doesn't mean I think it's the right one, I just hope it is.

Just now, Courtyard Bear said:

But a law firm could appoint someone straight out of Lawschool who qualified top of their class, it would be a risk because they had no experience but it  could be a risk worth taking. 

Bingo. 

and we could appoint a football manager who is qualified too and a less of a gamble/risk worth taking.

Do you see where I am going with this or do you need more time? 

Just now, Courtyard Bear said:

But a law firm could appoint someone straight out of Lawschool who qualified top of their class, it would be a risk because they had no experience but it  could be a risk worth taking. 

Law firms appoint trainees who further learn their trade on the job, I've never heard of a law firm appointing the most senior managing partner straight out of law school.

19 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

In a managerial context.

No-one is (because they can't) saying a word against him as a footballer and a household name. After Messi and Ronaldo, in recent years he's every bit as world famous as the likes of Beckham, Lampard, Neymar or anyone else. Top top name in football.

But that's where it starts and stops.

He has zero managerial experience so it's a diddy appointment in that sense. We are assuming because of his name, then he will be a top manager. Football doesn't work that way.

If I was a partner in USA's top law firm, based in a skyscraper in Midtown Manhattan and appointed Gerrard as a senior partner that would be a diddy appointment too for the same reasons. It's not a slur on Gerrard at all - he's simply unqualified and a bad choice. 

Whilst I understand the point you are making it's a poor comparison. He'd need a degree and then to have attended "Law School" as it is in the States and then he'd have had to have passed the Bar. 

To be a football manager in Europe he needs only to have passed his UEFA licenses, which he has. 

There are no examples of a lay person with no qualifications ascending to partnership of a Law Firm, indeed it wouldn't be legally possible for them to practise however there are plenty examples of ex footballers making a success of their first job. 

I agree it's a risk but so is any manager. Nothing is guaranteed no matter who you bring in. Personally I feel some of the responses have been bordering on hysterical. 

3 minutes ago, gsa said:

Whilst I understand the point you are making it's a poor comparison. He'd need a degree and then to have attended "Law School" as it is in the States and then he'd have had to have passed the Bar. 

To be a football manager in Europe he needs only to have passed his UEFA licenses, which he has. 

There are no examples of a lay person with no qualifications ascending to partnership of a Law Firm, indeed it wouldn't be legally possible for them to practise however there are plenty examples of ex footballers making a success of their first job. 

I agree it's a risk but so is any manager. Nothing is guaranteed no matter who you bring in. Personally I feel some of the responses have been bordering on hysterical. 

Remove the law form comparison then since it's beyond some folks comprehension and was only a cute remark ... forget I mentioned it altogether and Gerrard is still unqualified to be the Rangers manager. End of story. 

1 minute ago, Goosetav said:

According to The Sun he's on the brink of accepting it and has already sounded out transfer targets.

I’m really interested to see who he has in mind, if his budget is as good as it sounds we could build a pretty decent squad.

4 minutes ago, Deanzmeanzheinz said:

This. Its a gamble, a risk no doubt about it but it might just come off 

mate we are looking into the abyss again thats how big this is however doesn't always work out like this but we as a club and support are due a break. We have been shat on and kicked by every corner of scotland I hope this appointment gives the club a "fresh start" in terms of how things get done from top to bottom.

This cunts no mug and only works in the very best environments at the top level. The gerrard Brand attached to Rangers should give everyone the kick up the arse we need..To get our shit together. If not he will be off

I back the man to get the best out the players for this reason IF you dont do it you wont be around long he doesn't have much experience one thing he will have is an ora about him probably no seen since the walter days

How does Levein set his team up when he comes to Ibrox? Or at home?

How do Killie play if they get in front?

What are the strengths and weaknesses of Dundee, St Johnstone and Motherwell?

If this all comes to pass and we get these three guys in, they might be fantastic coaches but what do they know about the managers, tactics and players they’ll face each week?

My one disappointment is that, unlike Souness with Smith providing local insight, we appear to expect Gary McAllister to cover this.

Even now, I’d like to see a role for someone like Alex Rae, say on a six month consultancy basis, or at least until the new management team get acclimatised.

1 minute ago, Siwel said:

I’m really interested to see who he has in mind, if his budget is as good as it sounds we could build a pretty decent squad.

Every manager we've had has said they are happy with the budgets on offer though. Just need to hope Gerrard uses it a bit more wisely than others and no more journeymen and sub-standard shite from Scottish leagues.

1 minute ago, K.A.I said:

Remove the law form comparison then since it's beyond some folks comprehension and was only a cute remark ... forget I mentioned it altogether and Gerrard is still unqualified to be the Rangers manager. End of story. 

It's not the "end of story" because you think it. It's your opinion. 

Pointing out it was a stupid comparison doesn't mean it was " beyond my comprehension".

Just now, K.A.I said:

Every manager we've had has said they are happy with the budgets on offer though. Just need to hope Gerrard uses it a bit more wisely than others and no more journeymen and sub-standard shite from Scottish leagues.

I agree mate Should be Mark allen targeting the likes of Camara, Kipre, Alex Schalk and Max Power. We need a core of SPFL players if we want to stand any chance in Europe.

Gerrard is a far bigger name than we could look to appoint. He’s not a big manager but his name and his stature in the game is big.

With that we get added perks that we wouldn’t if we went for someone like MPH or Clarke because quite frankly who would give a fuck that they managed us apart from us and the obsessed scum.

It is a bigger risk that’s for sure and anyone thinking 55 is coming is a fucking nut job, if everything goes exceptionally well who knows but he’s never managed a first team game in his life.

Gerrard was a model pro as a player, hardworking, dependable, a leader vocally and also by example. If these qualities come through as a manager with a good coaching setup and people with tactical knowledge then it might just work.

He spoke about how you need to get to know each player to understand their strengths and weaknesses as it may not be possible for his team (u18s) to play the Klopp way as the players may not suit that formation. To me this proves he’ll be more successful than murty and most likely Warburton too since they shoehorned players into a formation rather than pick a formation that suits the players and also takes into account your opposition.

7 minutes ago, gsa said:

It's not the "end of story" because you think it. It's your opinion. 

Pointing out it was a stupid comparison doesn't mean it was " beyond my comprehension".

It is beyond your comprehension because the point is that unqualified is unqualified ... we are a big club and that hypothetical law firm is a big business ... big clubs, businesses and respected institutions don't make their most important appointments people who are unqualified. 

That's why the point is beyond your comprehension, clearly ... the same way as what I've said above will fall on deaf ears too because you have convinced yourself you are right when you aren't.

Care to tell me how someone who manages an under 18's youth team is qualified for our job considering where we are at right now. 

Pretty much is "end of story" just because you don't don't like being told it doesn't mean it's untrue.

From the sun

SunSport understands Gerrard is on the brink of accepting the role after fresh talks.

The Liverpool legend is set to bring Anfield fitness coach Jordan Milsom and assistant Tom Culshaw with him, should a deal be completed.

And as discussions with Gers continue, it’s believed he has already started sounding out potential summer signings.

We're a shambles at the moment so lets have even more shambles by appointing a manager with no experience and no knowledge of the game up here.

This is the kind of stunt that lower league teams pull to attract a bit of interest in their club and raise their profile,we should be above nonsense like this.

5 minutes ago, Siwel said:

I agree mate Should be Mark allen targeting the likes of Camara, Kipre, Alex Schalk and Max Power. We need a core of SPFL players if we want to stand any chance in Europe.

No we don't. 

2 minutes ago, Siwel said:

How

Because they are fucking pish and from teams who have worse records in Europe than us. There's very little talent in Scotland to make it a priority market is both laughable and baffling.

Archived