Gerrard Has to Earn our Trust

It's that simple. It was just a few games ago we started to see the "We Deserve Better" banners unveiled. Everyone was up in arms at the mismanagement of our club from the upper echelons of Ibrox down to what was going on at pitch level. So whats changed? A youth coach placed into the position as Rangers manager has been thrown to the wolves by a board who are to blame for his appointment in the first place, and he's been replaced by a mid 30's youth coach under a lot of pomp and circus. Do people really believe the mhedia now want Rangers to do well? No, they love the possible ramifications of an EPL Legend like Gerrard going tits up at Rangers. Promises of investment abound as well - sounds like a typical soundbite from Dave King. 

But when the dust settles we still remain in a position where we are battling for second position with our new manager saying he will not enter the fray until this season finishes. I'm sure we heard that stand off viewpoint from Le Guen and Caixinha. Gerrard comes from fine footballing stock similar to our own legend Ally McCoist. We all know how Ally did as Rangers manager, a position where to lose a game puts you in the "Questionable" category as a manager. 

I want nothing more than Gerrard to succeed but he has to EARN my trust and support. I think a few on here need to remember that we have been here before and we still have no sight of the promised investment. Gerrard is not a "Rangers Man" and he will leave a position to protect his reputation rather than see it out to the inevitable sacking if it goes sour and he is not a proven manager at any level. THAT is the reality. 

I'm sure this thread will be revisited next season, my hope is that it's on a positive note but until then i would advise the Gerrard fanbase that are fervant at his appointment to make sure they don't forget our past few years or that the remaining board have being nothing short of incumbent with our clubs management. Make sure you have him earn your trust rather than follow him blindly. 

2 minutes ago, Rfc52 said:

Caxinha was in charge for the last 3 month's of last season 

he came in with no clue about us. Do you believe Gerrard watched us outside old firm games and even then probably to see how his exmanager was doing. 

2 minutes ago, bluedylan said:

I would like to know which manager  we could have got given our budget who would not have been a risk.

And also one who would have raised the profile of the club for sponsors and investors, which is something we need just as much as we need a decent manager. Really hope it pays off on both sides, would hate for us to become known globally as the club who killed Steven Gerrard's management career.

22 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

It's that simple. It was just a few games ago we started to see the "We Deserve Better" banners unveiled. Everyone was up in arms at the mismanagement of our club from the upper echelons of Ibrox down to what was going on at pitch level. So whats changed? A youth coach placed into the position as Rangers manager has been thrown to the wolves by a board who are to blame for his appointment in the first place, and he's been replaced by a mid 30's youth coach under a lot of pomp and circus. Do people really believe the mhedia now want Rangers to do well? No, they love the possible ramifications of an EPL Legend like Gerrard going tits up at Rangers. Promises of investment abound as well - sounds like a typical soundbite from Dave King. 

But when the dust settles we still remain in a position where we are battling for second position with our new manager saying he will not enter the fray until this season finishes. I'm sure we heard that stand off viewpoint from Le Guen and Caixinha. Gerrard comes from fine footballing stock similar to our own legend Ally McCoist. We all know how Ally did as Rangers manager, a position where to lose a game puts you in the "Questionable" category as a manager. 

I want nothing more than Gerrard to succeed but he has to EARN my trust and support. I think a few on here need to remember that we have been here before and we still have no sight of the promised investment. Gerrard is not a "Rangers Man" and he will leave a position to protect his reputation rather than see it out to the inevitable sacking if it goes sour and he is not a proven manager at any level. THAT is the reality. 

I'm sure this thread will be revisited next season, my hope is that it's on a positive note but until then i would advise the Gerrard fanbase that are fervant at his appointment to make sure they don't forget our past few years or that the remaining board have being nothing short of incumbent with our clubs management. Make sure you have him earn your trust rather than follow him blindly. 

I disagree.

He has done enough in the game to earn our trust.

It is up to him and his backroom to retain it.

14 minutes ago, PRW. said:

Listening to him, and seeing him, has swayed a lot of people. 

And its not soundbites like usual, its just refreshing honesty. Guy is a born winner with an elite mentality.

Personally for me, its the team working behind him that has helped change my mind. McCallister, Beale, Milsom, Allen & Scoulding. All have expierence working at top clubs & know football inside out. 

Its a risk, we know that. But now its time to get behind him.

I think your post covers what most fans are thinking, the interviews he did yesterday were impressive and while he is still a risk his determination and will to win is obvious. 

I think most of us have come full circle in a week and personally I will try and not get too carried away, but I am very hopeful that he will be successful. 

1 minute ago, Captain Hilts said:

The opinion that he is "just another youth coach" and the hint that he is no more qualified than Murty is quite frankly laughable. Gerrard has worked under some of the best managers and coaches in the world whilst playing at the highest level in football.

I wouldn't say he's worked under some of the best managers in the world. He spent his career at Liverpool remember.

7 minutes ago, FSM said:

I wouldn't say he's worked under some of the best managers in the world. He spent his career at Liverpool remember.

Houllier And Benitez are up there. Can also include Klopp in that.

Let's go! 

I was sceptical but he's a different character to what we've had recently. I'm not expecting him to work miracles but I expect he'll have a side playing in his own image who'll give more for the jersey than we've seen under Murty etc.