45 years ago today

3 hours ago, Paulbrian11 said:

That was the last 100,000 plus crowd at a football match in the U.K.  

It must have been some experience.

It was, some experience for a 16 year old.  Absolutely exhilarating, my dad had told me for years about the atmosphere, he said "you could cut it with a knife" and when I was at that game I knew exactly what he meant.

Totally different from the sanitised, strictly policed and stewarded all-seated venues we have now.  It must be hard to envisage for someone who didn't experience it - over 60,000  Bears and 60,000 tarriers in the same place at the same time, and no restriction on alcohol.

16 minutes ago, harlands plater said:

It was, some experience for a 16 year old.  Absolutely exhilarating, my dad had told me for years about the atmosphere, he said "you could cut it with a knife" and when I was at that game I knew exactly what he meant.

Totally different from the sanitised, strictly policed and stewarded all-seated venues we have now.  It must be hard to envisage for someone who didn't experience it - over 60,000  Bears and 60,000 tarriers in the same place at the same time, and no restriction on alcohol.

you and I both mate....I was 16 too..had been to the 71 final and replay with my dad and those were 100k + too, but we didny win them...in 73 when big Tam scored that day the bedlam was unforgettable...god i loved the hampden dust lol

12 hours ago, harlands plater said:

My first, and favourite, Scottish Cup Final. 

Official attendance over 122,000 but heard of it being much higher unofficially. Supposedly a break-in at the Rangers End meant thousands got in without tickets, spoke to guys who got in but couldn't even get on to the terracing it was rammed full.

PS Happy 65th birthday, Derek Parlane.

Big thanks to my big brother who surprised me that morning and gave me one of my greatest Rangers memories by taking me to my first final and game v them 

13 hours ago, harlands plater said:

My first, and favourite, Scottish Cup Final. 

Official attendance over 122,000 but heard of it being much higher unofficially. Supposedly a break-in at the Rangers End meant thousands got in without tickets, spoke to guys who got in but couldn't even get on to the terracing it was rammed full.

PS Happy 65th birthday, Derek Parlane.

I was there as well bud 14 at the time, one of the greatest days of my life. The 1970 league cup final (DJ) was my first big crowd, they said it was 106.263 but if you look at the films you can't see a stairway, we were packed like sardines, easily the biggest crowd I have ever witnessed..

I’ve posted this before but it’s still a great memory for me.

Grew up in Kingspark and my pal came round for me  “Don’t go near Hampden.” says my Mum. Of course we do- no colours on and a cop asks if we want to get in - absolutely we do. Cop says I can only get you in celtic end, so in we go - two 12 year old bears in with the filth. So we’ve to jump about when they score and when Greig dives to save the ball going in the pape standing beside us asks who saved it and my pal replies “Don’t know but he’s an orange bastard.” By this point we cannae wait for the gates to open and as soon as they did we were out and into the old south enclosure. Climbed the steps into the enclosure and a hand grabs my shoulder. My mum and wee brother. My old man who was working had gotten a couple of tickets and when the old dear couldn’t find my pal and me decided fuck it I’m going - and out of that massive crowd I bump onto her. What a day. That night the next door neighbours who were papes had a party and I remember the old dear going in a red white and blue dress - fuck all political correctness in those days...

21 hours ago, Paulbrian11 said:

That was the last 100,000 plus crowd at a football match in the U.K.  

It must have been some experience.

It was, even allowing for the pish soaked trousers.   Thanks to the OP for posting, but watching the quality of the video and the commentary it is no wonder crowds back then were massive and to think folk these days complain about Sky etc.   

Hard to believe it was that long ago, seems like yesterday.  Quite sad that in Scotland anyhow, we will never see crowds like that again.  Just think, in that era, Glasgow had two grounds capable of holding >100k and one slightly under, changed days. 

9 hours ago, Johnny Dangerously said:

Was that 73 game live on tv? That was the same day Sunderland beat Leeds in the FA Cup final. Can’t remember if I seen our game live on telly or not, was just a boy.

No, Scottish Cup Finals weren’t televised back then. 

Our next final was against Hearts in 1976, not sure if that one was.

Was my first Scottish Cup final as well. Crowd was 122,714. The biggest crowd I have ever been in. I was 13 at the time. . Always remember by late father saying at half time "we could do with an early goal this half" and then Conn scored what I think is still the fastest goal from a kick off in a cup final in Scotland (14 seconds). We got separated during the celebrations and we ended up about 20 yards apart and although we could see each other took about 10 minutes to get back together. Great times with my dad. 

I was lucky back then as my first ever OF game was the 1970 League Cup final when DJ scored the only goal aged 16.