The Ibrox Tournament?

These type of tournaments seem to be growing in popularity each year. Off the top of my head I know that there are Amsterdam, Rotterdam and Emirate tournaments going on this summer.

I'm just wondering if anybody knows if we have we ever thought about doing something like this?

I think it would be an excellent idea personally. We certainly have the stadium and we could defanetly attract three decent teams to take part each summer. In recent years we have played: Ajax, Roma, Anderlecht, Feyenoord, Spurs, Everton, Chelsea, Arsenal, AC Milan and Zenit St Petersburg all played us in friendlies, so it could be done if we wanted to.

It could be a nice way to let bears sees some great players in action, build up relationships between other ourselves and other fans and it would also give the players the chance to win a trophy, albeit a meaningless one before the season starts.

Also the ticket sales from the four matches could prove to be a decent little earner too. If you sell £50,000 tickets at say £20 a ticket (although realistically prices would be lower) we could rake in something like £4,000,000. Obviously we wouldn't recieve all that as the other sides would get a cut and their are expenses like heating, lighting and staff wages to think about, but it could still be a decent earner.

Just a thought.

We were involved in a pre-season tournament a few years back, if I remember correctly, at St. James' Park.

Bernard scored a cracker!

About your point, I think its a good idea.

A Carling tournament maybe?

I've always thought there should be a 'British' thing at the start of the season. Winners/Runners up (depending on league places) of the FA Cup, Premiership, Scottish Cup and SPL should play a 4 team tourney. Games to be held at Hampden/Wembley.

Televise it and hey presto...an easy windfall for the 4 clubs involved.

Was there not talk in a paper this morning about the possibility of Barca coming over for an ibrox tourney?

I hope that's true ! If we put the teams we've played in the past in there we could have this:

The Ibrox Tourny:

Rangers

Barca

Chelsea

AC Milan

Looks good ! I would go to every one of the games :lol:

A Carling tournament maybe?

I've always thought there should be a 'British' thing at the start of the season. Winners/Runners up (depending on league places) of the FA Cup, Premiership, Scottish Cup and SPL should play a 4 team tourney. Games to be held at Hampden/Wembley.

Televise it and hey presto...an easy windfall for the 4 clubs involved.

it would be an excellent idea. I don't actually know why teams don't push for more of these tournaments rather than settle for a few away games against teams like Darlington and Bury <cr>

Did we not do this one year ? Sampdoria one of the teams, jog my memory ? Exorbitant prices put the tin lid on it ? :sherlock:

We did it for 2 years in the mid 90s...

We won it the 2nd year so we kept the trophy... Crowds weren't that great so it's not been held since.

:sherlock:

we done it a couple of times but it was not that well attended.

Think Murray started chargin it as a package the same as he was doin with European tickets and it went tits up. To much money wanted at the same time. !

Think Murray started chargin it as a package the same as he was doin with European tickets and it went tits up. To much money wanted at the same time. !

your rigt you had to take the whole package and people were not prepared to pay it, im sure we held it in the fair fortnight which did not help the crowds.

The concept being discussed is positive and i agree that something along these lines could work, but has to be carefully and creatively planned out to make it a success and to generate the maximum income. What about inviting the MLS allstars, Man utd, Real Madrid and ourselves. Surely that would entice both a decent attendance and a lucrative television deal?

your rigt you had to take the whole package and people were not prepared to pay it, im sure we held it in the fair fortnight which did not help the crowds.

Yes crazy marketing, :sherlock: not turnin this into a slag SDM thread but he has always thought of us a handy cashline, a hole in the wa so to speak !