Rangers Pools

Lloyd

5 minutes ago, Siwel said:

What were they mate I don’t know when they stopped but I can’t remember them

I can't remember how it actually worked but it was many years ago, my dad is 88 now and he would have been in his forties I reckon when I can remember him with a bag of money saying he had to pay into the Rangers pools office, I'm not sure if members were allocated a number or suchlike and when your number was drawn you got paid out, and I think if you were a agent like my dad and one of your clients won he got a cut too.

4 minutes ago, BlueboyG said:

I can't remember how it actually worked but it was many years ago, my dad is 88 now and he would have been in his forties I reckon when I can remember him with a bag of money saying he had to pay into the Rangers pools office, I'm not sure if members were allocated a number or suchlike and when your number was drawn you got paid out, and I think if you were a agent like my dad and one of your clients won he got a cut too.

It sounds a lot like Rangers lotto except to help with a stadium Development

Wasn't the old one a version of the football pools?  You select eleven games you reckon will be draws from the entire fixture list on a given day, and if you get 8 or more from eleven right as score draws, you win the pools.  Depending on how many others win, you get the whole prize to yourself or a share of the prize. Three points for each score draw, one point for a no-score draw, top score wins. Prize money depends on how many play each week. 

1 minute ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Used to have one of the best run and biggest money making Football club Pools in the UK, another thing Sir Minty fucked up. 

Was it David Hope who was the guy in charge of the pools? 

Just now, Courtyard Bear said:

Used to have one of the best run and biggest money making Football club Pools in the UK, another thing Sir Minty fucked up. 

Yeh it was massive in its day, think my dad had around 100 or more workmates who were in it and he was the agent, with redundancies etc it started going tits up.

3 minutes ago, Trooblue said:

Wasn't the old one a version of the football pools?  You select eleven games you reckon will be draws from the entire fixture list on a given day, and if you get 8 or more from eleven right as score draws, you win the pools.  Depending on how many others win, you get the whole prize to yourself or a share of the prize. Three points for each score draw, one point for a no-score draw, top score wins. Prize money depends on how many play each week. 

Honestly can't remember mate, it could have been along the same lines, just remember my dad collecting money and when we went to Ibrox he had to go to an office and pay in, no internet banking in they days lol.

2010 Article by Forsyth is quite good, though in fairness the Pools were well established prior to the Ibrox disaster he is correct is his assertion about Waddell backing the project and much of the money coming from the pools.   Pity we still don't have any innovators around today. 

And, like the shifting of tectonic plates that culminates in a destructive rupture above ground, hindsight suggests that the build-up to the calamity had been equally remorseless.

Two deaths on Stairway 13 in 1961, eight spectators injured in 1967 and another 24 admitted to hospital in 1969 – two years to the day before the disaster – were the clear warnings that something more awful this way would come. Yet, on each prior occasion Rangers responded to the danger signals with action.

They replaced wooden steps with concrete stairs. They widened the exit in an attempt to reduce crowd pressure and they set out seven lanes, divided by tubular steel handrails, to funnel the departing spectators into what, it was hoped, would be more manageable streams.

The events of January 2, 1971, however, demonstrated that if crowds were not controlled much more carefully the risk of serious accidents would remain dangerously high, as Willie Waddell, the Rangers manager, grasped immediately.

Waddell was as single-minded a man as football has ever known and his legacy endures in kind. He only ever played for Rangers and remains the only manager to add a European trophy to the club’s list of honours – the Cup-Winners’ Cup in 1972.

Between times he served his apprenticeship in management by guiding Kilmarnock to the Scottish championship in 1965, for the only time in the history of the Ayrshire club, before he embarked on four years as a sports writer for the Scottish Daily Express. He used his column to heap scorn on Davie White, Rangers’ manager between 1967 and 1969, calling him “the boy David”, a campaign that ultimately unseated White and saw Waddell installed as his successor.

He was fiercely protective of Rangers and acted as spokesman for the club throughout the aftermath of the Ibrox Disaster but it may fairly be said of him that he did not allow loyalty to blind him to the need for urgent change. He began to examine means of altering the state of the existing stadium and in 1973 the old Shed terracing opposite the Main Stand became the Centenary Stand with a 9,000 capacity – the ground capacity was reduced to 65,000 as a result – and its seats bolted to the concrete terraces.

The Centenary Stand was an unloved stopgap measure and Waddell embarked on a study of stadium construction across Europe, with a view to establishing best practice. He drew inspiration from the 1974 World Cup finals in West Germany and in 1977 Rangers announced plans to reconstruct Ibrox on the model of Borussia Dortmund’s Westfalenstadion.

The cost was estimated to be £6million and rose to £10million – an enormous sum for the time. As Simon Inglis observes in his definitive book, The Football Grounds of Great Britain, “no other club in Britain could have afforded such a massive redevelopment”.

The costs were met by the income from the Rangers Pools, the largest such enterprise outside the national football pools coupon operators such as Vernons and Littlewoods.

By August 1978 the East Terracing and Stairway 13 had been demolished, to be replaced by the Copland Road Stand, which was followed in turn by the new Broomloan Road and Govan stands.

By 1981 the capacity of Ibrox was 45,000, which included 9,000 standing spectators in limited enclosures in front of the Main Stand. The ground had CCTV, undersoil heating and computerised ticketing.

Ibrox was by that stage the most advanced club stadium in the United Kingdom. Only Old Trafford, which was in the throes of similar careful development to a coherent long-term plan, was comparable.

However, these developments were exceptions. In England the last large scale spending on football grounds had been devoted to improvements for the 1966 World Cup finals and the Ibrox Disaster was regarded as a consequence of the combined phenomena of Old Firm passions and the colossal crowds which were commonplace in Scotland at the time.

The cost of this complacency – along with wilful refusal by many club directors to contemplate the levels of finance needed to reconstruct grounds which were fraying perceptibly – was to be paid in the disasters at Bradford, Heysel and Hillsborough. Rangers, by contrast, profited from Waddell’s far-sightedness.

When English clubs found themselves in European competition purdah after Heysel in 1985, Rangers – with the glamorous Graeme Souness as manager – were able to lure the England captain, Terry Butcher, and the England goalkeeper, Chris Woods, to their designer stadium. They were also well ahead of the game after Hillsborough and although the Taylor Report into crowd safety at football grounds had no force of law in Scotland, the SFA agreed that it would comply with its requirements.

At a stroke celtic, whose home at Parkhead boasted the largest area of terracings in the UK, were faced with reconstruction costs far beyond the means of the family dynasties who controlled the club and by 1994 the green half of the Old Firm came within minutes of bankruptcy, to be saved by Fergus McCann.

In England, the need to identify fresh income streams to pay for stadium reconstruction and the players to fill the newly installed seats led directly to the establishment of the Premier League – which in turn snowballed into the cash cow and debt mammoth that now makes it increasingly difficult for Rangers and celtic to maintain some sort of parity of esteem.

Forty years ago, none of these developments were in any way foreseen. From this distance, the greatest puzzle is why the impact of the Ibrox Disaster was not judged sufficient to set them all in motion many years earlier.

3 minutes ago, Rfc52 said:

This something that everyone would get behind or will this turn into another clusterfuck?

Everyone was behind it in the past so you’d like to think they wouldn’t fuck it up. On a side note my pal won twenty grand on it back in the late seventies and bought a flat in Langside. Cunt has been mortgage free for forty years...