The Worst Rangers Teams In History 2016-2018.

Ozblue

I started going to games around 1979 and had to endure being miles off winning the league till 86. We were dreadful back then but did win a few cups over that period. Hard to say though if that shower would give our current imposters a game. Would Cammy Fraser get a game in 2018?

The figures don’t lie, but you have to add a bit of perspective and relate it to the strength of the scum/others or even the league as a whole. I’d say the teams of the last 2 years are definitely the worst, plus McCoists championship failures even though they may have not on paper been the worst. 

Mccoists team that failed to get out of the championship is the worse I have seen ... last seasons team was the worse Rangers team I have seen in the premier league. In my short time on this planet it's 16-15 in titles to us against the tarriers .... last 7 years has been fucked...

2 hours ago, Ozblue said:

With the last disappointing season just finished and us rehashing rumours about who will stay and who will go and who we might buy under Gerrard, I've noticed a few threads about how bad our squad has performed recently, with many posters stating that it's "The worst in their lifetime"; which got me thinking about how it's been in my lifetime since I first walked into Ibrox as a wee boy in 1953 (Technically I was on my Dads' shoulders) so I decided to have a look at the ups and downs of the fortunes of The Famous.

In those days until season 1994-95 it was 2 points for a win, so I have put the figures into perspective by awarding every season 3 points for a win. I have also documented how many points we would have won by as Champions and how many points we would have been in arrears of the team that won the title. As the years' roll bye our memory seems to play tricks on us at times with fact and imagination becoming "The Gospel" as we debate such things.

So fellow Blunoses, How does our current mob compare to when you first started watching the Boys in Blue; and were the last two seasons squads the "Worst Rangers Teams in History, taking into account the thieving bastards running the club and the inferior finances compared to other years?

Season 1953-54....4th behind the scum....... 16 points behind

Season 1954-55.....3rd behind Aberdeen......13 points behind

Season 1955-56..... 1st............ 10 points ahead of Aberdeen

Season 1956 -57....1st.............. 4 points ahead of Hearts

Season 1957-58..... 2nd behind Hearts..........20 points behind

Season 1958-59..... 1st............ 2 points ahead of Hearts

Season 1959-60..... 3rd behind Hearts............18 points behind

Season 1960-61..... 1st............ 3 points ahead of Kilmarnock

Season 1961-62.......2nd behind Dundee.........6 points behind

Season 1962-63.......1st...........14 points ahead of Kilmarnock

Season 1963-64.......1st........... 9 points ahead of Kilmarnock

Season 1964-65...... 5th behind Kilmarnock......10 points behind

Season 1965-66...... 2nd behind the scum.......... 4 points behind

Season 1966-67..... 2nd behind the scum...........5 points behind

Season 1967-68..... 2nd behind the scum...........4 points behind

Season 1968-69...... 2nd behind the scum.......... 7 points behind

Season 1969-70...... 2nd behind the scum...........20 points behind

Season 1970-71...... 4th behind the scum........... 24 points behind

Season 1971-72...... 3rd behind the scum........... 23 points behind

Season 1972-73...... 2nd behind the scum........... 1 point behind

Season 1973-74...... 3rd behind the scum............ 7 points behind

Season 1974-75...... 1st..................................... 12 points ahead of Hibs

Season 1975-76....... 1st..................................... 8 points ahead of the scum

Season 1976-77....... 2nd behind the scum........... 14 points behind

Season 1977-78....... 1st …................................. ..4 points ahead of Aberdeen

Season 1978-79....... 2nd behind the scum............. 6 points behind

Season 1979-80........5th behind Aberdeen.............. 15 points behind

Season 1980-81....... 3rd behind the scum................22 points behind

Season 1981-82....... 3rd behind the scum............... 20 points behind

Season 1982-83....... 4th behind Dundee Utd. …... 29 points behind

Season 1983-84....... . 4th behind Aberdeen............ 25 points behind

Season 1984-85......... 4th behind Aberdeen............ 35 points behind

Season 1985-86......... 5th behind the scum..............22 points behind

Season 1986-87......... 1st......................................... 10 points ahead of the scum

Season 1987-88......... 3rd behind the scum...............17 points behind

Season 1988-89......... 1st..........................................14 points ahead of Aberdeen

Season 1989-90..........1st.......................................... 10 points ahead of Aberdeen

Season 1990-91......... 1st........................................... 4 points ahead of Aberdeen

Season 1991-92......... 1st........................................... 15 points ahead of Hearts

Season 1992-93...... 1st....................................... 15 points ahead of Aberdeen

Season 1993-94.......1st.........................................8 points ahead of Aberdeen

Season 1994-95.......1st........................................ 15 points ahead of Motherwell *(3 pts a win)

Season 1995-96.......1st......................................... 4 points ahead of the scum

Season 1996-97.......1st..........................................5 points ahead of the scum

Season 1997-98.......2nd behind the scum............. 2points behind

Season1998-99.........1st........................................ 6 points ahead of the scum

Season 1999-2000... 1st.........................................21 points ahead of the scum

Season 2000-01....... 2nd behind the scum.............15 points behind

Season 2001-02........ 2nd behind the scum............ 18 points behind

Season 2002-03........ 1st.........................................Won on GD. 1 goal ahead of the scum

Season 2003-04........ 2nd behind the scum.............. 17 points behind

Season 2004-05........ 1st........................................... 1 point ahead of the scum

Season 2005-06.........3rd behind the scum................ 18 points behind

Season 2006-07........ 2nd behind the scum.................12 points behind

Season 2007-08......... 2nd behind the scum................ 3 points behind

Season 2008-09......... 1st............................................ 4 points ahead of the scum

Season 2009-10......... 1st............................................ 6 points ahead of the scum

Season 2010-11..........1st.............................................1 point ahead of the scum

Season 2011-12......... 2nd behind the scum.................10 points behind + 10 points penalised*****

Season 2016-17......... 3rd behind the scum.................39 points behind

Season 2017-18......... 3rd behind the scum................. 12 points behind

Really interesting and informative - some shockers in there with 4th behind Scimdee United one of the standouts. If our fortunes are an Ebb and flow time for the tide to come in. Again. I hope! 

2 minutes ago, G.E.C. said:

This is the longest period in my lifetime that I’ve not seen us win a major trophy so I would say the vast majority of the teams since admin have been horrific.

Iirc ...Next season will mark 8 seasons since a title 9 since a league cup and 10 since we lifted a Scottish cup :megaanguish:..... it really has been hard going ....hopefully this is our season to come god knows we are due it!.....

1 hour ago, Courtyard Bear said:

As above McCoist Championship team and the team from the late 70’s early 80’s. 

This season and last has just been a clusterfuck of poor managers. 

if you look at 78/79 - 85/86 where we did not win the league and as low in 5th still in that team Scottish teams got to the quarter finals in Europe 5 times, the semis twice and once to a final.

The team from then would definately not go 10 games without winning an old firm game against the current team they have.

Aye and McCoist championship team is just one to forget.

John Greig & Jock Wallace both had strong Aberdeen and Dundee Utd teams to contend with, as well as that other lot.

We might not have been as good as them over the course of a season, but we could still beat them on our day to win a cup.

We won six cups during our doldrum years 1978-79 to 1985-86.

Its not fair to compare because the early to mid 80s team are statistically worse (in the league) but there was the odd cup win in that period where we are years waiting now. Also, this is a poor scum team in a helplessly poor league. The 80s team had SAF Aberdeen and Jim McLean's Dundee Utd along with decent scum and Hearts teams. The reason the scum have been successful is due to how bad we are. I'd wager that the 80s teams wouldn't have let a poor scum team win back to back trebles.

Disregard quality of our players and the opposition: There is no doubt in my mind there has ever been a Rangers team with so little heart, fight and passion than the last two years. For that reason, they are the worst ever team.

yes this is certainly the worst in my life ( im 29) and probably ever. Folk talk about the Greig years etc but football is different now.

with the money and facilities we have compared to our opposition we are fucking woeful and i cant imagine the Greig years were worse. Weve been humped of the likes of Alloa and Raith Rovers numerous times over the past few years ffs

We were shite in the 80s - my late teens and early twenties so I recall it well enough.

But shite as we were, we didn't play with fear or look like we knew we'd be getting pumped before the game had even started. You always knew we had a chance against them and we would raise our game for the big matches.

The 2017-2018 squad lacked heart and balls. They often looked clueless and beaten as soon as we went a goal down, even at Ibrox FFS.

1 hour ago, Theulstervolunteer said:

Mccoists team that failed to get out of the championship is the worse I have seen ... last seasons team was the worse Rangers team I have seen in the premier league. In my short time on this planet it's 16-15 in titles to us against the tarriers .... last 7 years has been fucked...

7-14 in my lifetime, and even then I can remember only 5 of ours