A message from the manager

Lloyd

Turns out that the word 'outwith' is purely a Scottish non-word, not used in England, so the fact he's using it in his statement is the tell.

Nice words by the PR dept, on behalf of Steven Gerrard.

13 minutes ago, FSM said:

It's being reported now that Stevie didn't personally write that message.

Apparently as it includes the word ‘outwith’ which is Scottish. Have to say I’ve worked all over the world and I’ve heard it used pretty much by anyone that speaks English as a first language. 

Weird the amount of effort people go to in order to find negative things to say about us...actually it’s not weird it’s what we’ve come to expect. This one is stretching it a bit though. 

Just now, DrLaudrup said:

Apparently as it includes the word ‘outwith’ which is Scottish. Have to say I’ve worked all over the world and I’ve heard it used pretty much by anyone that speaks English as a first language. 

Weird the amount of effort people go to in order to find negative things to say about us. 

If i'm being honest, before I even heard about this I doubted if he had personally written that message. Someone in the PR dept writes it, he endorses it. Not a big deal, and I'm sure that most managers don't sit down and write their own statements.

Just now, FSM said:

If i'm being honest, before I even heard about this I doubted if he had personally written that message. Someone in the PR dept writes it, he endorses it. Not a big deal, and I'm sure that most managers don't sit down and write their own statements.

Agree. And that is pretty much what happens with any statement or press release from every company worldwide which is why it’s an odd thing to pick up on. 

8 minutes ago, DrLaudrup said:

Weird the amount of effort people go to in order to find negative things to say about us...actually it’s not weird it’s what we’ve come to expect. This one is stretching it a bit though. 

not that I give a fuck either way but outwith is Scottish and plenty of folk look at you weird if you say or write it

7 minutes ago, DrLaudrup said:

Agree. And that is pretty much what happens with any statement or press release from every company worldwide which is why it’s an odd thing to pick up on. 

It’s not that odd when you see who is reporting on it. 

This is how low their muckraking has become, and it’s actually quite funny to watch. 

Bring on 55 and the inevitable meltdown that will ensue. 

I live in Torquay and work in London and I can categorically say that the word 'Outwith' is used regularly in both locations, it may be a word that started in Scotland but I hear it all the time from English folk.

More Bollocks reporting from the Daily Rebel.

That said, I sincerely doubt that SG actually wrote the statement in any case, he's got better things to do. 

54 minutes ago, DrLaudrup said:

No you haven't.  You think you have, but you're wrong.

And google can prove it.

Outwith the regular dictionary definition results, and discussions about the word, if you then scroll through the hundreds of pages of google results of pages which simply use the word in their normal discourse,  you will see that virtually all of the results are from Scottish based organisations. Particularly Local Authorities. 

Yes, there are a handful of exceptions, but on closer examination, you will often find a Scottish connection somewhere  (Maybe a Scottish educated content-writer?)

Many English speakers may have come across it before, or are able to work it out, but they would be very unlikely to choose it in preference to outside or beyond.

Shame Traynor didn't know that.  :p:

1 hour ago, FSM said:

Turns out that the word 'outwith' is purely a Scottish non-word, not used in England, so the fact he's using it in his statement is the tell.

:lol:

Outwith isn’t a Scottish word 

2 hours ago, FSM said:

On the Wiktionary entry for outwith it describes it as being used by "chiefly Scotland and Northern England" which makes sense as Gerrard is from the northwest of England.

I have no issue with him not being around for the next 2 weeks, considering players aren't here anyway. I would expect him to be out and about securing new signings and equally important offloading some of the deadwood. We need to free up wages to bring new players in. If over the next 2 weeks we hear of departures and new signings I will be a happy bear, assuming the new signings are of a good quality. 

I'm just glad that we have eagle eyed tarriers forensically analysing our statements and pointing out the colloquial inconsistencies. It's almost like they have nothing better to do with their time, like they're on the dole or something.

4 minutes ago, FSM said:

I'm just glad that we have eagle eyed tarriers forensically analysing our statements and pointing out the colloquial inconsistencies. It's almost like they have nothing better to do with their time, like they're on the dole or something.

It's like they are you when there is a picture thread put up in the OT.

2 hours ago, govanblue said:

No you haven't.  You think you have, but you're wrong.

And google can prove it.

Outwith the regular dictionary definition results, and discussions about the word, if you then scroll through the hundreds of pages of google results of pages which simply use the word in their normal discourse,  you will see that virtually all of the results are from Scottish based organisations. Particularly Local Authorities. 

Yes, there are a handful of exceptions, but on closer examination, you will often find a Scottish connection somewhere  (Maybe a Scottish educated content-writer?)

Many English speakers may have come across it before, or are able to work it out, but they would be very unlikely to choose it in preference to outside or beyond.

Shame Traynor didn't know that.  :p:

Agree, when I first worked in England I use "outwith" and thought nothing of it only to discover no one had every heard the word before. It originates from terms used in Scots law but not in other legal systems, hence it is unique to Scotland.  Spell checkers don't even recognise it.