GERRARD, THE NEXT 3 SEASONS - What would you take?

46 minutes ago, Rambo1872 said:

We have obtained an important figure as our manager. he will bring good publicity and money to the club. I am giving him a few seasons to steady the ship and win some silverware. Our only real opponents dwarf us financially at the moment and can splash cash when they please against us. Anybody who starts moaning like fuck if we don't win the league in the first year is not being realistic imo. Every tim i have spoken to says as soon as we lose a few matches the Rangers support will turn on Gerrard like they always do....i dont want these cunts proved right. 

I couldn't give a fuck about publicity and money that he'll bring. I really couldn't, the only thing that I care about him bringing is the ability to win trophies. So, what you're saying here is, you'll accept another two trophyless seasons at least because we've got Gerrard as manager?

23 minutes ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

Progress, credibility and 2nd next season. 

A stronger 2nd (closing points gap) and a cup (unless put out by scum) the 2nd season.

The league, 3rd season.

All minimum.

.. and you? - are prepared to give him that time? Astounding. Good man! 

I hope he wins every game and if he fails in the league folk will howling for his removal. 

There will be huge progress and he will identify the weaklings in his team. I'd hope for the league and a trophy. The guy has an obviously greater pedigree than any of the last 4 to 6 managers (or interims) and he will have so much more energy to progress than they had. I feel very positive about this season.

16 minutes ago, Bluepeter9 said:

.. and you? - are prepared to give him that time? Astounding. Good man! 

I hope he wins every game and if he fails in the league folk will howling for his removal. 

Yes I am.

As long as the progress is noticeable. Have said previously that I was probably more opposed than most to this appointment but will likely afford him more time than most others.

There is a chasm between both clubs, I really think many are underestimating the job SG faces.

1 hour ago, ForeverAndEver said:

Accepting them getting 9 :megaanguish:

It's not about accepting it,  it's about being realistic in our expectations.  We are quite a bit behind them as proved this season.

If Dave throws a shit ton of cash at us, then my expectations would rise, however if we only minimally add to the squad then it's unlikely that we would be able to beat them over the course of the season.

It's nice rhetoric the whole " We are Rangers, we only accept winning"  mantra.  With Rangers teams of old, I am fully behind that.

We are not currently anywhere near to a Rangers team of old. We were lucky to get third in the league tbh.

So realistically, if we close the gap on them and run them close, while still losing the league, then it's definitely progress on what we have been served up the last 6 years.

It would be great to watch a game and be able to say ' what brilliant play that was from us, fantastic movement, passing and goal.' Bring in real quality and have the team playing the best football in 10 years. With this achieved I would accept one of the scottish cups first along with a strong euro run to at least semis. Comfortable second in league challenging in every scum game with a win or 2 in old firm and leaving the rest of the dross in our wake. The 55 the season after and another good euro run. Make a fortress out of Ibrox again so no team entering the field thinks they are coming for an easy ride.

11 minutes ago, geneva_ger said:

There will be huge progress and he will identify the weaklings in his team. I'd hope for the league and a trophy. The guy has an obviously greater pedigree than any of the last 4 to 6 managers (or interims) and he will have so much more energy to progress than they had. I feel very positive about this season.

mate, I'd love you to be right but that honestly feels like blind optimism. towards the end of last season I was struggling to see where we'd improved since McCoist left, so to expect a rapid turnaround without big bucks investment is heart ruling head.

6 minutes ago, gogzy said:

It's not about accepting it,  it's about being realistic in our expectations.  We are quite a bit behind them as proved this season.

If Dave throws a shit ton of cash at us, then my expectations would rise, however if we only minimally add to the squad then it's unlikely that we would be able to beat them over the course of the season.

It's nice rhetoric the whole " We are Rangers, we only accept winning"  mantra.  With Rangers teams of old, I am fully behind that.

We are not currently anywhere near to a Rangers team of old. We were lucky to get third in the league tbh.

So realistically, if we close the gap on them and run them close, while still losing the league, then it's definitely progress on what we have been served up the last 6 years.

The OP said he would take failing two seasons to stop them at 9.

We got third last season, with Murty, Nicholl and Caixinha. They're not great but aye they're a lot better than us.

7 minutes ago, CoopsLaud said:

It would be great to watch a game and be able to say ' what brilliant play that was from us, fantastic movement, passing and goal.' Bring in real quality and have the team playing the best football in 10 years. With this achieved I would accept one of the scottish cups first along with a strong euro run to at least semis. Comfortable second in league challenging in every scum game with a win or 2 in old firm and leaving the rest of the dross in our wake. The 55 the season after and another good euro run. Make a fortress out of Ibrox again so no team entering the field thinks they are coming for an easy ride.

European semis lol 

31 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

I couldn't give a fuck about publicity and money that he'll bring. I really couldn't, the only thing that I care about him bringing is the ability to win trophies. So, what you're saying here is, you'll accept another two trophyless seasons at least because we've got Gerrard as manager?

Well i do, we need publicity and good publicity at that, its one of the key components to success is having the correct type of publicity. We need money as we are not exactly flush and again another key component to improving chances of winning trophies/league. 

And no Cathy i am not saying that, you are making a statement that i am saying something which i have not said. I never said 2 trophyless seasons, i said anyone moaning if we don't win the league this coming season needs to be realistic. I think the tims might be right, if Gerrard doesn't come in and win the league and cups first time some fans will be wanting him hounded from Ibrox and we start all over...again....as a laughing stock of scottish football fs.  

4 minutes ago, Rambo1872 said:

Well i do, we need publicity and good publicity at that, its one of the key components to success is having the correct type of publicity. We need money as we are not exactly flush and again another key component to improving chances of winning trophies/league. 

And no Cathy i am not saying that, you are making a statement that i am saying something which i have not said. I never said 2 trophyless seasons, i said anyone moaning if we don't win the league this coming season needs to be realistic. I think the tims might be right, if Gerrard doesn't come in and win the league and cups first time some fans will be wanting him hounded from Ibrox and we start all over...again....as a laughing stock of scottish football fs.  

I read it as a couple of seasons and then some trophies, dingy that then, my mistake.

We need to win the league, and that is it, lets be fair. 

We're already the laughing stock of Scottish football.

First season - Solidify 2nd place - qualify for main stage Europa - any domestic title and at least any combo of 2 wins/draws against them

Second Season - qualify for main stage Europe (depending on our finish on previous season) - Win the league and throw in the any other 2 domestic titles.

Third Season - Solidify our 1st place finish from last season - try and push for European football after xmas and another domestic title on top of the league.

Gonna be hard but not impossible, Gerrard and Allen have their work cut out for them whilst King still hovers about though.

1 hour ago, ForeverAndEver said:

Accepting them getting 9 :megaanguish:

This.

Anyone who think's that them getting 9 won't be a huge achievement for them and they won't rub it in must have been in a coma when we did it. 

Smacks of surrendering before a ball is even  kicked. Brass fucking neck!