Ever applauded an opposition player at Ibrox?

graeme_4

2 minutes ago, Darius72 said:

Lubanski mate.

Włodzimierz Lubanski was a genius; Gornik lost to Manchester City 2-1 in the final that season. I actually saw Lubanski in 2016 when I was in Warsaw; He looked like he could still put the ball in the net.

Just now, Ozblue said:

Włodzimierz Lubanski was a genius; Gornik lost to Manchester City 2-1 in the final that season. I actually saw Lubanski in 2016 when I was in Warsaw; He looked like he could still put the ball in the net.

Yep,great player Oz.

1 hour ago, Inigo said:

Klaus Augenthaler when he scored Bayern's 3rd in 89, along with half the stadium. We were 1-2 down and he stepped up and launched one into the top corner from 30 yards.

You had to admire that one , even though it put a bit of a damper on our forthcoming bus trip to the return leg . In consolation , the Ocktoberfest was on at that time .

Kempes for Valencia that night was special , and probably the when it started to dawn on me that some players were simply on a different level than what we were used to seeing week in week out in Scotland .

2 hours ago, tannerall said:

Cruyff, Neeskens and the whole Ajax team in the European finals winners game.

Bonhof for Moenchengladbach. 

Kempes for Valencia.

Cooper in his game for Clydebank, if I remember correcty we already knew he was coming to us, but he still hd a terrific game. 

Kempes for Valencia.

George Best got a great reception too, when he played for Hibs against us, and even Kenny Dalglish got a round of applause when he latched on to a terric 50 yard Graeme Souness pass to score in a friendly against Liverpool. 

When we played a Turkish team called Ankaragucu, half an hour before the game two of the Turkish supporters walked in to the Rangers end which was filling up from the back and stood half way between the crowd and the track wall. They unfurled ad Ankaragucu banner about 6 feet by 10 feet. I'd never seen anything like that back then and there was a sudden intake of breath from the whole Rangers end as we realised what had happened and what could happen next..........then suddenly someone started clapping and the rest of the crowd joined in the applause at the sheer cheekiness and bravado of it. 

Normal business was resumed as John Greig scored twice in the first twenty minutes and we won 4-0 and to their credit the wee Turkish guys kept their flag flying.

Is this the team that kicked us off the park and had about 4 players sent off ? 

Not sure if I'm exaggerating that a bit . 

3 hours ago, MurrayWilson said:

That whole Juventus team were something else, I remember the game at ibrox when you could see them up close. The size of them was frightening, they were all about 3 foot across the shoulders, absolutely massive. They made our players look like little boys.

Yeah because the cheating bastards were all doped up by Juventus doctor...he was kicked out off the game a few years later

2 hours ago, MurrayWilson said:

Was that the fullback, torrecelli or something?

Marocchi, I think.

Although Jim White was creaming himself over Torricelli, who had a stormer.

McLeish took the piss out of JW for getting too carried away!

28 minutes ago, Loyal Bear 72 said:

I clapped Matthaus when he was subbed off for Bayern Munich. There was quite a few clapping but there was a lot of boos as well.

The best reception an opposition player ever got at Ibrox was Lampard.

Matthaus was raging when when he got subbed.  Refused to acknowledge the Bayern manager and stormed off down the tunnel I think.  Hagi did the same the next season when he got subbed against us for Galatasaray.

1 hour ago, lewislaudrup said:

Aye was it the right back tae?  Torracelli or something

He’d scored earlier on mate.

I thought it was him, too but when I looked it up it was Marrocchi.

I’d also forgotten it took them to the 88th minute to get their third.

There are 3 players that I remember clapping. For me the best ever was Riquelme then Benzama who I think scored a hat trick for Lyon and then Prosinecki  for Red Star. As a team Ajax when they played in the Super Cup at Ibrox. Juventus were a fabulous team as well .

4 minutes ago, onefootwillie said:

There are 3 players that I remember clapping. For me the best ever was Riquelme then Benzama who I think scored a hat trick for Lyon and then Prosinecki  for Red Star. As a team Ajax when they played in the Super Cup at Ibrox. Juventus were a fabulous team as well .

That Red Star side were a class apart . Absolutely toyed with us .

If your talking about great perfomances by players at Ibrox then of course there is Mendieta, Riquelme, Benzema but none of them would have been applauded individually during those matches.

Matthaus got some applause (and boos) due to him being subbed. Lampard got applause not just for who he was but because it was also a friendly. Andrews got the applause when he was warming up on the sidelines.