Ever applauded an opposition player at Ibrox?

graeme_4

On the other hand I stood I stood on the corner of the Paisley Road West beneath the flat I lived in and stuck two fingers up at the crowd going to see the pope in 1982. 

Least he got to see the greatest stadium in the world once in his lifetime. 

Also applauded Cyril Regis and Laurie Cunnningham, both amongst the first of the British born black players to play at Ibrox when they beat us in the Tennant Caledonian Cup tournament back in 1977, WBA had a great attacking team with those two up front back then.

Even though the seventies were possibly tougher times, dislike of the other Scottish teams outwith cellic was not that bad, and many an opposition player back then was applauded for a great goal, a good bit of skill, or as they went off the pitch, and almost always when carried off injured. The tackling was certainly tougher butt here was a better sense of fair play

Sad that these days much of the vileness and hatred of our club is instilled by our fellow Scottish clubs in to their players who then encourage and provoke their hatred on us.

2 hours ago, graeme_4 said:

It’s something I hate seeing normally, particularly in derby games.  

Only ever done it once for Kaka after scoring a belter against us in a friendly for AC Milan. Bounced Davis off him and whipped it into the corner from memory. 

Aye Frank Lampard taking a corner at th Copland end.V Chelsea

1 hour ago, The Widow's Son said:

Remember applauding an Arbroath player named Fletcher - blonde and full of running, scored too if I recall.  They won 3-2 at Ibrox during the (very) early 1970's.  I think that Andy Penman also played for them that time.  Maybe some of the older bears can help me out with this one.  Also recall some good players with St. Mirren - Cameron Murray, Bobby Adams and Bobby Pinkerton.  

I can certainly help you out here, TWS. The game was played on 2nd February 1974, so here's a film clip of that game, complete with Fletcher and Andy Penman