Gerrard keeping Wallace

Finished a t the level we need him to be at, hasn't kicked a ball in anger for the last 18 months. 

his loyalty was to be commended at a time we were in need, but as has been posted, he has made a very good living with us and we cannot afford to be sentimental. His best season for me was the first Warburton season in the championship. 

I think he will quite happily sit in the bench or the stand and continue to pick up a very good wage, which we could use on another, hungrier footballer. We need better. 

This calling him a "legend" is also nonsense. I would agree if he had been outstanding and inspirational in our rise back up through the leagues. He wasn't.

11 minutes ago, TMB said:

Maybe Gerrard is just telling the truth and sharing his honest opinion of the player.  He thinks he's a very good player and doesn't care what when on last season under Murty.  

If he doesn’t care what went on why do you think his assessment is true?  Given Wallace has been out for some time and the past three seasons he has captained us in some of our worst ever performances. Did SG sit and watch him specifically on DVD? To make that assessment 

i think he’s just giving a wee bit of a sound bite tbh

Even if he's staying, he won't be captain.  Gerrard was bigging up Goldson as a leader, which would suggest he's already decided to make him captain.  Don't think LW would be a starter anyway.  He's backup to John, who I think is underrated on here. He's a good young attacking left back, who will only improve with more experience.

46 minutes ago, Colin Traive said:

Yep. Wallace has not let SG down in any way so he’s rightly been given a clean slate. Up to him to take it or blow it.

If thats the case guys like forrester etc all should be given, yet,another chance.  Going at this rate every single.one of those shite bags from last season deserves another chance

5 minutes ago, TMB said:

The summer prior to 2012 we had just paid £1.5m for Lee Wallace who was a very highly young player in Scotland and had been capped a few times for his country.  If guys like Whittaker can leave and get more money elsewhere it's not unthinkable to assume Wallace could have as well.  

Our fans constantly slate the players that left us in 2012 for putting their own interests first and showing no loyalty to the club.  Lee Wallace stayed with Rangers when he could've very easily gone down South yet the fans show no loyalty towards him.  You can't show no loyalty towards a player who did stay, yet demand loyalty from the ones who didn't, the door swings both ways.  

He is a home bird. He coaches a team through in Edinburgh which is hugely important to him to the extent it came into consideration in contracts here. His Mrs has her own business up here. I know he could have made more elsewhere but HE didn't want to leave the country. If you're thinking his loyalty to Rangers would have remained as strong if Hearts for instance could have matched our wages then you're pretty deluded imo. 

My loyalty is to Rangers, and to wanting the best for it. If that means being painfully critical about the board, a manager or a past it player like Wallace so be it. But let's not think he's not entirely comfortable with the decision HE made to stay.

1 hour ago, K.A.I said:

Big mistake. He's done.

Another big mistake not cashing in on Tav too.

But hey, that's my just my opinion/s - a manager is the one that lives and dies by them. Looking forward to (hopefully) being proved wrong but strange move I must admit.

Agree. Two poor full backs. We get raped in those positions week constantly but all anyone talks about is cb's.

SG said what he had to say re Wallace.  

I doubt very much that’s what he thinks or what the clubs stance is. 

He’s mentioned togetherness, harmony, same hym sheet etc etc which directly contradicts what Wallace is doing re his appeal & conduct beforehand.  

Can’t see him playing for us again & the fact that he’s still not fit says a lot. 

Probably sit tight for his last year of big wages getting treatment then another injury & so on. 

He won’t be missed imo.  

Got to admit, there’s not many in our squad I admire as a person but Lee Wallace is one of them, although we haven’t seen him back to his best for a few seasons now

im miffed at the criticism of tav, he has his faults an will continue to improve imho but look at his stats since he signed, on his defending alone (which he gets the most grief for) the proof is there if you want to see it, he’s improved every season, the only thing that’s got worse is his free kicks

windass is a bit of a wank stain of a guy but even he has improved year on year aswell.

For any players in our team to look good an earn big money moves like the tarrier players our club has to be a stable environment, under murty and Pedro it’s clear it wasn’t a happy place to be over the last 2 seasons. I’ve absolutely no doubt if we are more stable as a club under a good management team we will start heading in the direction we should be in right now!

Lose Lee and make someone else Captain. Need to get someone younger not someone leaving the club in the last year of his contract who can't be arsed being fit for pre-season.

Oh this talk of "Legend" status, don't make me fuckign laugh, not even if he was at full pelt every year of his time is he good enough to be regarded as that.

The crap about "He stayed in 2012". Aye we know he did, to get the cash in his back pocket as he didn't want to leave Scotland and no other fucker would pay the wages we did.

8 minutes ago, Malvern said:

Lose Lee and make someone else Captain. Need to get someone younger not someone leaving the club in the last year of his contract who can't be arsed being fit for pre-season.

Oh this talk of "Legend" status, don't make me fuckign laugh, not even if he was at full pelt every year of his time is he good enough to be regarded as that.

The crap about "He stayed in 2012". Aye we know he did, to get the cash in his back pocket as he didn't want to leave Scotland and no other fucker would pay the wages we did.

He’s a legend..

If hes used as a sub and purely for cover fair enough, if hes a starter then itll be worrying, like others have said hes got 1 year left on his contract and I doubt anybody will match whatever hes on just now.

Great servant to the club and I will wish him well on his next move even if thats next year but hes been on the decline for a while now.

2 hours ago, K.A.I said:

He was past it and pish when fit before he was injured ... he was captain in the Pedro debacles .. people have short memories (and yes, I do remember him standing by us in 2012 and moving up the leagues - but why pretend he's something he isn't now in the playing sense)

I remember saying in a thread months ago that he had been carrying an injury for months. Overnight he lost the ability to overlap like he had been. I think he can be good for us if he is fit.

It’s amazing the difference a new manager can have on players who were going through the motions beforehand. St Brenda and delias duds for instance. Wallace at his best is a good player so it’s surely worth a punt on him. In an ideal world I would empty Ibrox of every cunt who has been underachieving for long enough but we all know this isn’t viable so anything that can be salvaged from tha shower sg has been saddled with is a bonus.

18 minutes ago, psb07158 said:

To me that sounds like Gerrard throwing down a challenge to Wallace. 

Sort the issue with the club and get yourself FIT and I’d love to have you. Don't, and you’re done. 

Totally agree. 

Perfect opportunity to get rid of a poor player whos coasted over the last 6 years based on the fact he stayed with us when he had nowhere better to be 

If he showed half as much fight on the pitch as he did against Murty/The Club he’d get on a whole load better

Taking away any sentiment, just another player who isnt fit to wear the shirt never mind the armband