Unpopular Opinions When It Comes To Rangers?

18 minutes ago, GOAT said:

A chequebook manager that managed to take a team that finished third behind hearts and celtic to a European final by spending fuck all in the grand scheme of things in 18 months. 

Away you go and stop talking pish man. 

I think I might be winning this thread.

Gascoigne, Butcher, Laudrup, Hateley and possibly Davie Cooper shouldn’t be in the Greatest XI.

Nacho Novo was a terrible footballer despite scoring important goals in the biggest of big games for us.

Lee Wallace is shite and found his level playing for us in the lower leagues.

We fucked over Neil Alexander and it was a bit of a disgrace.

The Blue Room has been ruined with the shite high school artwork on the walls.

The online support, particularly those on message boards and especially those on FF tend to be completely out of step with the support in real life.  It basically represents the lunatic fringe, with opinions and theories I’ve never heard from 35 years of going to games and mixing with fans.  

Look at the criticism and  ridiculous abuse that various ex-players get yet if Barry Ferguson or whoever did the half time draw or something this season he’d get cheered to the rafters.

The criticism of Walter Smith online I just find baffling as well, I’ve never met a Rangers fan at games or pubs or functions with a bad word to say about Walter.

30 minutes ago, Paulbrian11 said:

The online support, particularly those on message boards and especially those on FF tend to be completely out of step with the support in real life.  It basically represents the lunatic fringe, with opinions and theories I’ve never heard from 35 years of going to games and mixing with fans.  

Look at the criticism and  ridiculous abuse that various ex-players get yet if Barry Ferguson or whoever did the half time draw or something this season he’d get cheered to the rafters.

The criticism of Walter Smith online I just find baffling as well, I’ve never met a Rangers fan at games or pubs or functions with a bad word to say about Walter.

I’d actually argue you are wrong.

The online community tends to reflect opinions people would have when talking to their own mates about football. What happens in pubs when you speak to randomers is people hold back a lot on their real opinion as they can’t be arsed listening to cunts moan in disagreement 

Joe Garner shouldn't have been sold.

Joey Barton shouldn't have been suspended.

Kenny Miller should never have been allowed back to Rangers for a 2nd time let alone a 3rd.

Fabio Cardoso isn't as bad as he was made out to be. He's 10 times the player Russell Martin is.

Grown men creaming themselves over the prospect of an orange top is embarrassing.

Jason Cummings was only liked by our support because of his cheeky, windup merchant personality. He's an utterly dreadful player.

With the benefit of hindsight and comparison to other clubs, the Ibrox Stadium tour is actually quite shite.

Tore Andre Flo was decent value for money overall, both financially (as we still got a decent fee from Sunderland) and on the park (goals return was decent too).

Davie Robertson is/was a better full back than Numan IMO.

Of so many of our ex players, Gordon Durie doesn't seem to get enough recognition/praise. I thought he was really good. Admittedly he played in an era of great players.

Kevin Thomson wasn't as great as some believe IMO. Really good on his day but IMO we didn't see it enough to regard him as highly as some seem to do IMO. He wasn't bad though.

53 minutes ago, .Williamson. said:

I’d actually argue you are wrong.

The online community tends to reflect opinions people would have when talking to their own mates about football. What happens in pubs when you speak to randomers is people hold back a lot on their real opinion as they can’t be arsed listening to cunts moan in disagreement 

I don’t know what kind of pubs you drink in but people holding back their opinions when pished talking about football is a new one on me ? 

Aye though, maybe you have a point.  I think the relative anonymity of a message board means people feel safe to let loose.  

55 minutes ago, SuperPapac05 said:

Fans who bitch about Catholics being signed should just fuck off. 

I fucking hate religion. There's no old man floating about like a big poof. Basically I'm saying "god" can go fuck himself.

What I do believe in though is I'd take any players that win us 55.

1 hour ago, Laudrup1984 said:

Tore Andre Flo was decent value for money overall, both financially (as we still got a decent fee from Sunderland) and on the park (goals return was decent too).

Of so many of our ex players, Gordon Durie doesn't seem to get enough recognition/praise. I thought he was really good. Admittedly he played in an era of great players.

Kevin Thomson wasn't as great as some believe IMO. Really good on his day but IMO we didn't see it enough to regard him as highly as some seem to do IMO. He wasn't bad though.

Always felt paying £12m was the right fee for him. Pretty sure he was the top scorer in the Champions League before we signed him.

6 minutes ago, G.E.C. said:

Always felt paying £12m was the right fee for him. Pretty sure he was the top scorer in the Champions League before we signed him.

Hindisght is a wonderful thing. When you see the other names we were linked to around that time and who were valued at similar prices, we could have probably done a lot better, when you see what some then went on to achieve. However, £12 million for us at that time, taking all things into consideration wasn't THAT bad. At that point we were right in amongst it battling with all your top clubs for high profile players valued at high prices.

I think for  £12 million fee a lot of people unfairly expected him to be doing things like the original Ronaldo, or having a goal return similar to Jardel, both of which were unfair as he wasn't that type of player. Most just see the £12 million fee, see his goal return and claim he's a dud. I don't think that's accurate at all though...........

1 hour ago, Walter-of-Smith said:

I fucking hate religion. There's no old man floating about like a big poof. Basically I'm saying "god" can go fuck himself.

What I do believe in though is I'd take any players that win us 55.

Each to their own I suppose

1 hour ago, Laudrup1984 said:

Billy Dodds and Kris Boyd had similar or better goal returns for a fraction of the fee we paid for Flo.  He was a monumental waste of money and a perfect example of Murray’s hubris.

Fantastic thread. Love the contribution from everyone.

- I think Walter Smith made a lot of terrible signings after the UEFA Cup Final. We did not progress as a club after that. That is Walters fault.

- Josh Windass should stay and be played as a striker next season starting every game.