Unpopular Opinions When It Comes To Rangers?

12 minutes ago, gsa said:

We lost 2-0 and embarrassed ourselves in front of everyone by not even attempting to win a final.

So no, not the right approach. 

You can only say being that negative is the "right approach" if you win. 

It was humiliating watching a team in a final scared to leave their own half.

Hardly embarrassed ourselves, we had the same way the full way to the final and were playing a team that had just skelped Bayern, if we attacked them I reckon it would have been worse

8 hours ago, tm91 said:

Actually, that's a fair shout about Alan Morton. By all accounts if we had a Mount Rushmore of the greatest players (in terms of pure talent) to ever play for Rangers, he'd probably be on it (with Cooper, Baxter and Laudrup?) if even half the reports of his ability are true, and yet he's seemingly treated as nothing more than a footnote in our history. One of the good things about the past decade or so has been the renewed emphasis on the McNeil Brothers, Campbell, McBeath, Vallance etc. I hope in time there's another renewed analysis of some of the great players of the Struth era.

If you based our greatest eleven just on stats and had some foolproof way of comparing players across eras, it's entirely possible that not many recent players from the past few decades would even get in. One would assume the Iron Curtain, Dave Meiklejohn, Alan Morton, Bob McPhail etc. would all be there for starters.

Yeah I totally get that the Greatest XI was voted on in 98 or 99 so it was full of 9 in a Row players but if you look at the achievements and longevity and the match reports of some of the older players they blow guys like Hateley and Butcher out the water.

They probably should have done two XIs - had a panel of guys like Sandy Jardine and David Mason determine an XI based on history and then had the fans vote.

For what it’s worth mine, based on service, achievements and records, would be something like this:

1. Jerry Dawson

2. Sandy Jardine

3. John Greig

4. Richard Gough

5. David Meiklejohn

6. Jim Baxter

7. Sandy Archibald

8. Andy Cunningham

9. Ally McCoist

10. Bob McPhail

11. Alan Morton

10 hours ago, gsa said:

We lost 2-0 and embarrassed ourselves in front of everyone by not even attempting to win a final.

So no, not the right approach. 

You can only say being that negative is the "right approach" if you win. 

It was humiliating watching a team in a final scared to leave their own half.

Yet you’re one of the few who’s actually embarrassed.  The rest of us recognise the achievement of getting to a European final with a squad which had no business being anywhere near one.

3 minutes ago, Paulbrian11 said:

Yet you’re one of the few who’s actually embarrassed.  The rest of us recognise the achievement of getting to a European final with a squad which had no business being anywhere near one.

I would like to point out that Kirk Broadfoot has a UEFA cup runners up medal thanks to us. 

Kirk Broadfoot that is all.

1 hour ago, Paulbrian11 said:

How do you know? 

Everyone I went to Manchester with was gutted we didn't even try to win it. 

It was pathetic effort for a once in a lifetime final. 

I never liked Kris Boyd as a player. Goals in abundance of course, but even Smith didn’t trust him when it mattered.

The saying goes that you are born to be a Ranger, that is why this squad are not going to win anything. They are fortunate and lucky to be part of the club. Very few are good enough with the right mentality.

I’m disappointed to see Miller go the way he did. He’s a legend in his own right.

People talk quality over quantity, I’d imagine that the quantity option would still be of a better quality than what we have.

11 hours ago, Jonathan1872 said:

Not getting promoted 3 seasons in a row and having to do the championship for 2 years is fucking embarrassing considering the money we had. I cringe just thinking about it.

You may have misunderstood the meaning of the word 'unpopular'.