Bolstered at the Back, Still lacking up Top

Second leg I’d go with...

McGregor

Tavernier Goldson Katic John

McCrorie Arfield

Middleton Ejaria Murphy

Morelos

-This team are dross and there for the taking: Flanagan just wasn’t making the over lapping runs, John would have been ideal tonight, our centre backs plus McCrorie can cope.

-Middleton deserves a start.

-Ejaria looked better than both Candeias and Windass so give him a go.

1 minute ago, DMax399 said:

The title of the thread sums it up for me.  

There were times tonight when it felt as bad as the Progress game under Pedro...

I really hope we will improve 

Fuck sake, first game in and already the boots are flying in?

I am glad we won or some fuckers on this thread would have committed suicide reading some of the pish on here.

Just now, Malvern said:

Fuck sake, first game in and already the boots are flying in?

I am glad we won or some fuckers on this thread would have committed suicide reading some of the pish on here.

I honestly was not impressed.

i know it’s the 1st game, but seriously, a lot of that tonight was poor.

5 minutes ago, DMax399 said:

I honestly was not impressed.

i know it’s the 1st game, but seriously, a lot of that tonight was poor.

The game was controlled, it was not perfect at all and if Windass hadn't fucked up about 25 chances and Morelos another 15 then it would have been more comfortable. However there is a team in there, Middleton I really like the look of and think he is going to be a revelation, I know some don't like Flannigan but he is not a natural left back so will drift inside but looked comfortable to me and the two CB's looked to be having a smoke break half the time the amount of work they had to do.

I’m willing to give the guys a good few games before weighing in with the he’s shite line.

Both Morelos and windass could have had 5 goals between them tonight but I can write that off as pre-season rustiness.

They got into the positions but couldn’t take some bloody good chances which whilst pissing me off no end I can give them some time.

Whats clear is we need competition. Not one striker on the bench so Morelos knew he had the whole game and tbh he was lucky with the head clash but once again rising to the bait and would have won a penalty had he not thrown his arms up in the air and taking his feet off the ground as he did.

Would love to see Wilson and Solanke in to really give Gerrard options.

In saying this if Cardiff offered £5m tomorrow for windass I’d do it for certain but Morelos definitely has ability he just needs to work hard on his finishing.

Hopefully everyone who uses the 'best attack last season' patter begins to see our attacking options are absolutely minging.

Midfield is exactly what I expected, average and hard working but love playing it safe.

Middleton again showing that we sorely lack pace, directness, strength out wide, Murphy I like centrally but he's so slow and Flanagan not being able to overlap makes our left side non existent, Candeias is average.

Hopefully Sadiq is decent and Solanke comes in as Morelos is far too raw to play so often.

Serious work still to do 

2 minutes ago, NeoGeo7 said:

In saying this if Cardiff offered £5m tomorrow for windass I’d do it for certain but Morelos definitely has ability he just needs to work hard on his finishing.

If anyone offers anywhere near that for him I would ship him out, don't care about his goals he is Casper the ghost most of the time and can't be arsed with him. Reminds me a lot of Sterling, lot of hype and numbers but when you analyse his whole performance in a game he is a man down.

1 minute ago, TheGovanIniesta said:

Hopefully everyone who uses the 'best attack last season' patter begins to see our attacking options are absolutely minging.

Midfield is exactly what I expected, average and hard working but love playing it safe.

Middleton again showing that we sorely lack pace, directness, strength out wide, Murphy I like centrally but he's so slow and Flanagan not being able to overlap makes our left side non existent, Candeias is average.

Hopefully Sadiq is decent and Solanke comes in as Morelos is far too raw to play so often.

Serious work still to do 

We can only hope but if Liverpool do get another striker in themselves then they may be willing to plump up Gerrard some more. Solanke would certainly help with our cross convertions and open play scoring as the bastard is not shy at firing a shot in.

8 minutes ago, NeoGeo7 said:

I’m willing to give the guys a good few games before weighing in with the he’s shite line.

Both Morelos and windass could have had 5 goals between them tonight but I can write that off as pre-season rustiness.

They got into the positions but couldn’t take some bloody good chances which whilst pissing me off no end I can give them some time.

Whats clear is we need competition. Not one striker on the bench so Morelos knew he had the whole game and tbh he was lucky with the head clash but once again rising to the bait and would have won a penalty had he not thrown his arms up in the air and taking his feet off the ground as he did.

Morelos is at least 2 seasons from being a professional and consistent player on the park.

We do not have that time to spare giving him game time when he hits a drought 

I fear that Gerrard has looked at us being top scorers in league last year or worst still, been advised that by Allen that money didn’t need spent on the front 4.

We won’t win fuck all without adding a left winger, a CAM and a goal scorer.

1 minute ago, K.A.I said:

Middle to front zero has changed and this is my number one concern that we’ve not improved there despite people shooting me down and sucking Mark Allen’s cock over our business 

its like watching any Rangers team since Warburton’s first game until Murty/Nicoll same flaws 

obviously it’s gerrards first game and when he stamps his ideas on the time the players could respond and really react and learn something different but there’s still far too many of them out there from last season that’s had too many chances - Jack is another who looked awful when he came on 

we really have so many to weed out and serious money still needs spent on that team - anyone who disagrees is a mentalist imo 

It was like sitting back in my seat all excited and before long shaking my head thinking nearly exactly this post, I don't consider myself a drama queen or a knee-jerk supporter but I worry after that, not panicking but worried. 

12 minutes ago, NeoGeo7 said:

Why would Cardiff or any team pay 5 million for Morelos?

1 minute ago, STEPPS BOY said:

I fear that Gerrard has looked at us being top scorers in league last year or worst still, been advised that by Allen that money didn’t need spent on the front 4.

We won’t win fuck all without adding a left winger, a CAM and a goal scorer.

The midfield is just totally static too it’s the wrong blend and mix 

Just now, K.A.I said:

The midfield is just totally static too it’s the wrong blend and mix 

We’ll play against ten men behind ball virtually every game.

We need that X factor type who can split defences/ have a ping from edge of box.

A left winger who’ll go down outside and not cut into his strong foot but also into a packed midfield.

Goals win games, the Tarriers have 3 strikers who could win them a game, we have Morelos.

Just now, cp9 said:

Not disagreeing with the  fact that we need to strengthen up top, but at this point last season we all thought Cardoso was the next big thing.

Only idiots thought that mate it was obvious from his first game he was a below average defender - I think I seen him have one good game Sheff Wed away 

Just now, teddybear1975 said:

Still feel Gerrard is playing the best of what he has available to him. I doubt very much the team or formation that started tonight will be the same against the sheep. At a guess I would say 3 5 2 if further targets are secured.

That’s the point though it shouldn’t be the best of what’s available to him as he’s brought guys in and not weeded some culprits out - he’s been backed numbers wise although maybe not financially and we haven’t improved the midfield and attack one bit 

Big Sadiq wouldn’t have made a blind bit of difference tonight as he’s a runner not a lethal poacher 

1 minute ago, K.A.I said:

Only idiots thought that mate it was obvious from his first game he was a below average defender - I think I seen him have one good game Sheff Wed away 

Was all down hill from there, one good half against Aberdeen and that was all he had after Sheffield

For me improving the defence is the key and though I do like the look of the players we have signed time will tell. I do think we'll be picking up a lot more clean sheets than last season which does mean we can win games 1-0 or 2-0 which we haven't been able to do very often since being promoted.

I do think we need another striker at the very least. Despite their good goal tallies last year we have seen that we cannot rely week in and week out on Morelos and Windass.

I also think we need someone who can play behind the striker. Tonight, and before, we rely too much on wing play and sometimes you need someone who will make that killer pass through the centre. I do think Ojaria can give is something like that but he seems more of a box to box Pogba type player rather than an a number 10.