Gerrard giving youth opportunities.

It is early days but it seems Stevie will run with youngsters if he thinks they are good enough. We had a few players under 21 playing on Thursday and I thought they did well. If anything the likes of Middleton at 18 years old stood out. My MOTM despite the fact he only played 30 minutes.

I think it's refreshing to see our manager give the younger lads an opportunity. Something we all longed for in the lower divisions.

To be honest I’ve seen people on here slating our academy before it’s fundamental purpose is to put players into the first team and if you look at the last 8 years or so generally if the players have been good enough they’ve had their chance and it was over to them to take it. 

Lewis McLeod, Fraser Aird, Barrie McKay, Rhys McCabe, Ross Perry, Jamie Ness, Kyle Hutton, Gregg Wylde, Andrew Little, Danny Wilson, Andrew Murdoch, Ross McCrorie, Myles Beerman, Jamie Barjonas and now Glenn Middleton (to name a few) have all had their chance at first team. It’s sink or swim at that point. 

8 minutes ago, Drunk and disorderly. said:

It is early days but it seems Stevie will run with youngsters if he thinks they are good enough. We had a few players under 21 playing on Thursday and I thought they did well. If anything the likes of Middleton at 18 years old stood out. My MOTM despite the fact he only played 30 minutes.

I think it's refreshing to see our manager give the younger lads an opportunity. Something we all longed for in the lower divisions.

He didn't even get that, he came on for Windass at the 79 minute mark. 

39 minutes ago, Drunk and disorderly. said:

More young players played at that point than anytime in my lifetime.

Problem is they were mostly shite.

36 minutes ago, theclothmonster said:

36 minutes ago, theclothmonster said:

He was so good you had to say it twice

Joking aside, a ad of 18 who was born a Bear like you and  I gets subbed on and the opposition marked him with one player, then two. Sharp wee guy with fast feet. 

I was watching in the Sandy Sardine front in the second half and had a really good view of his performance. I was shocked at how sharp he was.

The lad is a firework.

2 minutes ago, Drunk and disorderly. said:

He was so good you had to say it twice

Joking aside, a ad of 18 who was born a Bear like you and  I gets subbed on and the opposition marked him with one player, then two. Sharp wee guy with fast feet. 

I was watching in the Sandy Sardine front in the second half and had a really good view of his performance. I was shocked at how sharp he was.

The lad is a firework.

Best I’ve seen coming through for a long time.

13 minutes ago, tufts1690 said:

still bother me greatly we lost young Gilmour.

Yeah but if he'd stayed put he'd almost certainly be getting first team football this season under Gerrard.

That's not going to happen for him where he is now for a long time yet I suspect. 

1 minute ago, Gazza1212 said:

Yeah but if he'd stayed put he'd almost certainly be getting first team football this season under Gerrard.

That's not going to happen for him where he is now for a long time yet I suspect. 

i don't know, he's playing very well down south.

3 minutes ago, tufts1690 said:

He won’t play for Chelsea. Loftus cheek can’t even get a game for Chelsea and he’s just been to a WC. Their academy model is to promise their players they’ll make them premier league players it’s just highly unlikely it’ll be with Chelsea.

22 minutes ago, tufts1690 said:

Look at the names ahead of him in that Chelsea midfield.

The best he can look forward to is being farmed out like the countless other "promising youngsters" who've went before him. 

1 hour ago, Brackley Bluenose said:

To be honest I’ve seen people on here slating our academy before it’s fundamental purpose is to put players into the first team and if you look at the last 8 years or so generally if the players have been good enough they’ve had their chance and it was over to them to take it. 

Lewis McLeod, Fraser Aird, Barrie McKay, Rhys McCabe, Ross Perry, Jamie Ness, Kyle Hutton, Gregg Wylde, Andrew Little, Danny Wilson, Andrew Murdoch, Ross McCrorie, Myles Beerman, Jamie Barjonas and now Glenn Middleton (to name a few) have all had their chance at first team. It’s sink or swim at that point. 

Not one been an established first team success so far 

8 minutes ago, Cedrick said:

Not one been an established first team success so far 

The point is they’ve been given an opportunity. I would also say that MacLeod, McCrorie, Wilson, McGregor and arguably McKay (although I personally wasn’t a fan) are, have been or were all good enough to play in our first team. 

1 minute ago, Brackley Bluenose said:

The point is they’ve been given an opportunity. I would also say that MacLeod, McCrorie, Wilson, McGregor and arguably McKay (although I personally wasn’t a fan) are, have been or were all good enough to play in our first team. 

I’d say McGregor yeah , Durrant coming through was a bit before my time so I’ve seen going onto being  top notch first team players (which is the whole point of the academy ) Charlie miller (ruined himself ) ,Barry Ferguson ,yeah can throw in Greegs , Allan Hutton maybe  , so all in all we’re talking so far 4 players in my 25 years following Rangers came through to be top notch players 

9 minutes ago, Cedrick said:

I’d say McGregor yeah , Durrant coming through was a bit before my time so I’ve seen going onto being  top notch first team players (which is the whole point of the academy ) Charlie miller (ruined himself ) ,Barry Ferguson ,yeah can throw in Greegs , Allan Hutton maybe  , so all in all we’re talking so far 4 players in my 25 years following Rangers came through to be top notch players 

I completely take your point if you look at the long term. However, would you not agree that Scotland in general doesn’t produce players and that it’s not necessarily the fault of us as a club? I think the way we’ve restructured over the past couple of seasons will bear fruit and that’s not a throw away remark I genuinely think there are quite a few players who will be very good players for us.

The harsh reality is that it’s so difficult to tell how players will develop. An amazing 13 year old can be released by the time he’s 15 and a struggling 18 year old can quite easily have a good run of luck and find himself in the first team if things fall into place for him like McCrorie coming on against thistle last season when Alves gets a knock. 

8 hours ago, Drunk and disorderly. said:

The lad is a firework.

Agree completely with this, but I have to say that is the best auto-correct I've seen in a long while.

9 hours ago, Brackley Bluenose said:

He won’t play for Chelsea. Loftus cheek can’t even get a game for Chelsea and he’s just been to a WC. Their academy model is to promise their players they’ll make them premier league players it’s just highly unlikely it’ll be with Chelsea.

Ive nothing against Chelsea but the model they use for their youth set up is a disgrace and should be investigated by UEFA. It seems an awful lot of the time they get boys to go there simply to stop other teams getting them. How else can anybody explain the ridiculous amount of players they have out on loan.

36 minutes ago, MurrayWilson said:

Ive nothing against Chelsea but the model they use for their youth set up is a disgrace and should be investigated by UEFA. It seems an awful lot of the time they get boys to go there simply to stop other teams getting them. How else can anybody explain the ridiculous amount of players they have out on loan.

You could look a lot closer to home for that one.

45 minutes ago, MurrayWilson said:

I agree mate. If it was my son I certainly wouldn’t advise him to go there.