Tonight's performance

King_gazza

Very much improved than the past few weeks, we're looking much fitter and sharper. The new players playing in their natural position has made such a difference.

I thought Morelos was outstanding and probably my MOTM but a few others ran him close with the likes of Coulibaly, Flannagan, Kent & Godson all playing out their skins.

Away goal and clean sheet, bring on the 2nd leg!

Felt we could have created a lot more but was very impressed with our shape with the ball on the deck, from set pieces again pretty shocking and needs to be a major focus going forward.

Nice to have a team that doesn't lose the ball needlessly and then have to sprint back 40 yards because nobodies in position every few minutes, long may that continue

6 minutes ago, JukeBoxJohn said:

Can't argue with the result but the lack of creativity is worrying and the defending is still shaky at times. If Gerrard doesn't bring in a prolific striker and experienced, creative midfielder we're going to struggle this season. A new right back would be ideal also. 

Early days of course and to be fair even under Walter we created fuck all in European games but it's still a worry for me. 

As you say its still early but the lack of creativity is a bit unnerving, 2nd half we created nothing at all.

Just now, pcbear said:

As you say its still early but the lack of creativity is a bit unnerving, 2nd half we created nothing at all.

We did. We morelos done the defender and cut a great ball back to coulibaly who took a poor touch when he should've hit it first time.

It wasn't down to us to create in the second half. Wed done what we had set out to.

It’s almost like it’s still pre season for us, we’ve added a lot of new players with a whole new management and backroom team so of course it’s going to take a while to gel but we will improve the more games we play as the players get fitter and get to know each other.

We might not be quite there yet but a win and another clean sheet away from home, it’s a good result and something to build on.

1 minute ago, Amac9 said:

If that is Kent playing out of his skin then I'd hate to see him having a mare.

Game didn't suit him at all tonight.

Wasn't really impressed with him tonight. Don't want to be too harsh on the lad because he only signed a few days ago and it's a tough fixture to make his debut in but I can't recall him beating his man once. Can't fault his effort to track back right enough and in the first half especially we were too slow to play the pass to him out wide when he was in acres of space.

3 minutes ago, Rfc52 said:

We did. We morelos done the defender and cut a great ball back to coulibaly who took a poor touch when he should've hit it first time.

It wasn't down to us to create in the second half. Wed done what we had set out to.

I get what you're saying mate and don't totally disagree but would've been nice to get that second away goal and put us right in the driving seat as well. I think we rode our luck a wee bit defensively as well. Overall, any win away from home in a European tie is a good result.

Good shape out of possession and solid at the back gives us something to work with.

Thought Goldson and Morelos were really good as was Katic and McGregor when needed. Tav had a decent game as well with an excellent cross for the goal.

Thought Flanagan and Jack were poor in possession. Jack give it away too much for a midfield and he plays too safe which impacts our attack often.

Kent, Ejaria and Coulibaly all could be decent players but too early to say. Coulibaly looked solid though and I think he could be a good find.

5 minutes ago, Amac9 said:

If that is Kent playing out of his skin then I'd hate to see him having a mare.

Game didn't suit him at all tonight.

He did at least work hard defensively. Going forward we didn't do an awful lot of great things. Kudos to Morelos, worked his socks off, took his one chance, brought others onto the game and constantly harassed the defence.

Was nice not to see the I'll get the ball and shoot from anywhere approach he has had recently

I thought Ryan Jack had a good game tonight but Morelos was also my MOTM. Goldson solid and I though Allan McGregor looked a bit out of sorts on the first half but much better second half. All in all its a win and an away goal so the ball is in our court to finish it at Ibrox.

1st half I was impressed with Kent, kept cutting in and wasn't scared to take on a man.

Same situation as Coulibaly threw in at the deep end against team which is hard to beat (beat PSV home and away last season).

2nd half was always going to be a struggle as we couldn't hold the ball as much but kept getting pegged in our box.

After a quick Google search, I think that was out first win away from home in Europe since 2008 quarter finals. That's far too long for a club like ours. The performance maybe wasn't great but we cant forget the steps being made and the improvement the club is seeing after what we have been through, and long may it continue!