The Gerrard reign so far - some promising early signs

bluenose_72

Tough to call at the moment.

On the one hand, its nice having a born winner in charge. Someone that may not have been there and done it as a coach but knows what it means to win and has the passion and drive to pass on to the players to get results. He also understands how a big club works, and he can handle the pressure and expectations of the fans.

On the other hand, obviously he is still inexperienced, and we havent had a proper test really. a few friendlies and the one narrow win in Europe isn't enough for me to judge so far, especially when you compare to a manager as successful for us as Walter Smith.

Happy times right now but over the course of the season I'm expecting a much rougher ride.

I think the final few weeks of the transfer window are crucial, we are still lacking in depth in a lot of positions, mainly centre half and up front really, I'd like 3 more signings but we will see. 

Seems like the players are on his side, which is a positive thing at the moment.

I was instinctively going to write "calm down, it's too early to speculate" but then I remembered how spectacularly low the managerial bar has been set since Walter left. We'd honestly have been better off sticking with Stuart McCall the whole time. 

Just now, rangersross said:

I was instinctively going to write "calm down, it's too early to speculate" but then I remembered how spectacularly low the managerial bar has been set since Walter left. We'd honestly have been better off sticking with Stuart McCall the whole time. 

Was just saying this the other day... McCall had the right attitude and would have done well. We would be in a better position now if he was still here.... But your right it is far too early to speculate... We can fkn hope though.

Just now, jaywalker said:

Was just saying this the other day... McCall had the right attitude and would have done well. We would be in a better position now if he was still here.... But your right it is far too early to speculate... We can fkn hope though.

I know it's beating a dead horse, and I know it's not helpful to mull over "what ifs", especially when things are starting to look a bit more optimistic on the pitch, but if we'd had a manager like McCall from League Two, we could be so much further on at this point. 

Apologies if there was some misunderstanding, he really doesn’t have much to improve on over the last 7 years. Very early days, and as was said in the article he’s only 1 game away from a crisis. He needs to be given time but you don’t get that at this club. 

I do understand people saying it's "too early" but, if the last three restaurants you'd eaten at had given you food poisoning, it wouldn't necessarily be blindly optimistic to expect the next one you visited to be a bit better. I mean, we're talking about managers who needed four attempts to win the Challenge Cup, two attempts to get promoted from the Championship, haven't been able to win any other cups, and still haven't finished 2nd in the League. If he literally does "just okay", he'll be an upgrade. 

19 minutes ago, rangersross said:

I do understand people saying it's "too early" but, if the last three restaurants you'd eaten at had given you food poisoning, it wouldn't necessarily be blindly optimistic to expect the next one you visited to be a bit better. I mean, we're talking about managers who needed four attempts to win the Challenge Cup, two attempts to get promoted from the Championship, haven't been able to win any other cups, and still haven't finished 2nd in the League. If he literally does "just okay", he'll be an upgrade. 

Using your, analogy he's asking if you feel ok before you've tried your starter.  The Magic Hat had one decent season, the rest were woeful.