The Gerrard reign so far - some promising early signs

bluenose_72

7 minutes ago, bluenose_72 said:

Apologies if there was some misunderstanding, he really doesn’t have much to improve on over the last 7 years. Very early days, and as was said in the article he’s only 1 game away from a crisis. He needs to be given time but you don’t get that at this club. 

He might need time, but he will need finance before anything if he is going to get to the stage where he can be compared to Walter in any way, shape or form. What Walter spent on transfers and what Stevie Gerrard has spent so far is chalk and cheese. I'm not sure of the total spent on transfers, wages, loan costs, that Pedro Caixinha pissed down the dunny in his 7 months at Ibrox, but I wouldn't mind betting it's a fucking lot more than Gerrard has spent, so Gerrard hasn't much to beat to be the best manager since Walter Smith.

2 minutes ago, Ozblue said:

He might need time, but he will need finance before anything if he is going to get to the stage where he can be compared to Walter in any way, shape or form. What Walter spent on transfers and what Stevie Gerrard has spent so far is chalk and cheese. I'm not sure of the total spent on transfers, wages, loan costs, that Pedro Caixinha pissed down the dunny in his 7 months at Ibrox, but I wouldn't mind betting it's a fucking lot more than Gerrard has spent, so Gerrard hasn't much to beat to be the best manager since Walter Smith.

It isn’t fair for Gerrard to be compared to Walter and that’s not what I am doing, it is simply a question of whether or not he will be the best we have had since Walter left. As you and others say, well it isn’t actually going to take much to be the best since 2011. But you’re right in that he will need finance and that so much was wasted under Pedro. 

1 minute ago, eejay the dj said:

It's a very very poor comparison and an even worse OP mate .

The only comparison is with Souness arrival 

Smith was never behind the 8 ball at any point in his whole tenure as our Manager 

I haven’t compared Gerrard to Walter. I am comparing him to McCoist, McCall, Warburton, Caixinha and Murty.

5 minutes ago, eejay the dj said:

Smith was never behind the 8 ball at any point in his whole tenure as our Manager 

Aye we were in a position of power when he took over the 2nd time

11 minutes ago, simplythebestest said:

Will Middleton be the best player since Messi?

A more comparable question to OP’s post would be “will Middleton do more for us than Dalcio, Aird, and Zelalem?” 

The answer being: it’s obviously very early to say but even the most grounded fan would probably think “I’m obviously not 100% sure but I think so”. Again, not because we expect him to be ‘the best player in the world’, but because those other players were so far beneath the minimum expected standard for Rangers.

59 minutes ago, rangersross said:

I know it's beating a dead horse, and I know it's not helpful to mull over "what ifs", especially when things are starting to look a bit more optimistic on the pitch, but if we'd had a manager like McCall from League Two, we could be so much further on at this point. 

Agree with you 100% mate. McCall didn't have the opportunity to bring in any players and was basically caretaker with the team he inherited. If he had been given the chance he'd have fashioned a hard working squad that would have been clear 2nd and closed the gap and none of these fucking 4-0 and 5-0 drubbings we've endured against the scum. 

Probably wouldn't ultimately be the man to reestablish us properly on top but we'd be in a stronger position at this moment in time.

Just now, rangersross said:

A more comparable question to OP’s post would be “will Middleton do more for us than Dalcio, Aird, and Zelalem?” 

The answer being: it’s obviously very early to say but even the most grounded fan would probably think “I’m obviously not 100% sure but I think so”. Again, not because we expect him to be ‘the best player in the world’, but because those other players were so far beneath the minimum expected standard for Rangers.

Speak for yourself.

18 minutes ago, eejay the dj said:

13 minutes ago, Goosetav said:

Aye we were in a position of power when he took over the 2nd time

Walter was certainly behind the 8 ball during his first term as Rangers Manager. Played 2: Won 0, Drew 1, Lost 1. He certainly improved on his 2nd and 3rd terms though. :thumbsup:

Best set up since 2011?  Yes.   Will it be enough to win a trophy?  Hopefully.   For me it is how Gerrard copes with reverses.  We could win tonight and beat the sheep and get carried away.   It won’t mean that we are going to win the league.  We could go out tonight and lose to the sheep and win the league.   Equally it is how Gerrard responds tactically when it isn’t working and we go behind

Shouldn't get too far ahead of ourselves - we've played no-one decent yet. It's been friendlies and European minnows.

That said, x4 clean sheets in a row have been promising. That's all I'm looking at at the moment.

Aberdeen at Pittodrie on Sunday will give us a good indicator of how much we have progressed.

37 minutes ago, bluenose_72 said:

It isn’t fair for Gerrard to be compared to Walter and that’s not what I am doing, it is simply a question of whether or not he will be the best we have had since Walter left. As you and others say, well it isn’t actually going to take much to be the best since 2011. But you’re right in that he will need finance and that so much was wasted under Pedro. 

Its a very low bar to be honest

McCoist - failed to win the ramsden cup in 3 attempts and lead a pathetic attempt at promotion

McDowall - never wanted to be here and showed that

McCall - some would argue never got a chance but lead us to a 6-1 aggregate defeat in the playoff so probably better was not given the chance

Warburton - the first of the managers where hysteria started and was never followed through - was quickly found out towards the tail end of the championship and was useless in the SPL

Murty x 2 - never a manager

Pedro - next up the matador hysteria who lead us to lots of records although sadly unwanted. Should have been left in a bush in luxembourg

Nicholl - only a caretaker so escapes

So still being here at the end of the season means he has been better than this lot most likely. A lot hinges on how lucky we are remaining injury free and what sort of season those across the city have. If it is like last season we have a very good chance to come close, if it is like Rodgers first season its unlikely. Also we still have a pretty threadbare bench so any injuries to key players could harms us.

Could by some distance be the best since Walter- let’s look,  McCoist- took a title winning team and had us massively relying on Naismith then the stupid injury knackered us. We all know what happened after that.. but his attempt at cracking a peanut with a sledgehammer in the lower divisions was embarrassing and showed how inept he was.  McCall for me never got time and was more or less a caretaker. The humping by Motherwell summed us up back then. Warburton showed a lot of promise for the 1st 20 games then was out thought and when it mattered the team was easily out fought. Pedro?? Only Robertson knowswhy we appointed him. Never had any standing in the game and made baffling subs and alienated certain players. Also his signings by and large were misses.  And murty and mcdowell as interims/caretakers we’re just panic appointments as the boards at the time never had any plan in place.  From drawing at Peterhead to losing a challenge cup final and semi final to beating celtic on penalties and losing to hibs in the final to being thrashed away at hearts, hammered Home and away by celtic in consecutive seasons then I’d say Gerrard has to be better than any “manager” since the summer 2011

6 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

Shouldn't get too far ahead of ourselves - we've played no-one decent yet. It's been friendlies and European minnows.

That said, x4 clean sheets in a row have been promising. That's all I'm looking at at the moment.

Aberdeen at Pittodrie on Sunday will give us a good indicator of how much we have progressed.

Absolutely. Make no mistake this first game is a gauge on where we are. SG will have a no lose mentality into the team. 

Although it is very early doors, tonight will be a test for Gerrard and the players. We have won the first leg away from home 1-0, taking that back to an expectant Ibrox. Can the players cope with the expectation? How will they manage the game - go for the first goal or try and keep it tight? If the crowd gets a bit nervy, how do they react? As I said very early in his reign but tonight may give us an indication as to the mentality of this team.

This is the type of shit you look back on if we get beat tonight or humped 5-0 again off the tarriers.

If he gets the team playing well gets a run together and by Xmas we are challenging and made the league cup final or actually won it then yes.