Barisic signs

RangersMedia

8 hours ago, geronimoo said:

I think it will be Flanagan who is dropped with the new guy Barisic on the left with Tav on the right, Flanagan will be chomping at the bit to get back with both Barisic and Tav both being told had their position is only guaranteed if they step up and play.

This

4 minutes ago, theiconicman said:

Worth a shot?

lineup.thumb.png.6bc92a5cd6a765932253377ddf89567e.png

Did you mean to have Barisic and Tav so far forward. If so I don't agree at all, although we do have far more flexibility of formation with the signings we've made. 

I think we'll flip between 4-4-2, 4-5-1 and 5-3-2. Some have suggested 3-5-2 but for me Tav is not a midfielder. 5-3-2 allows him to play as a wing back which exploits his strengths of running into spaces with good delivery, while 3 CBs would provide cover to his attacking threat. I haven't seen much of Barisic but he was a standout for them and I was very impressed with his movement against us. That seems to indicate he could also play that wing back role. 

If we play 4-4-2 the for me it is a straight competition between Tav and Flanagan for RB, either based upon form or how we want to play against a particular team. Either way, the competition is a good thing. 

Also, based on form so far this season there is no way McRorie can replace Jack. 

I'm slightly uncomfortable with Sadiq going into the Rangers first team in your formation when nobody has really seen him play, although the glimpses we've seen indicate he'll offer something. We certainly need more competition up top.  

1 minute ago, Siwel said:

That but an inverted triangle midfield of Jack at the base with Coulibaly and Arfield in front.

Also Armin Hodzic up front.

I think if we play 3 at the back then our system will be fluid, with Jack (when fit) alternating with Coulibaly to sit. Tav and Barisic shown far forward only to emphasise their attacking play but they obviously will rotate as well with one going forward and the other covering.

6 hours ago, Scottyarf37 said:

Well without 

Hererra  Cummings

Penà       

Forrester   Holt    Thompson   Dodoo

Alves   Cardoso  Bates

Fod (pending)

Sub. Ohalloran, Hodson, Miller, Martin, Dalcio, Hardie, John (pending)

Its certainly going to look a lot different.

We dont have waste some money on shite  :hairout: 

Fuck me, that is an unreal difference 

I’ve just spent the last 3 hours watching both Osijek legs to get another look at him.

Its interesting how memory can play tricks on you. If asked before i’d have said he was one of their best attacking threats, liked a tackle, constantly got past players and whipped in great deliveries.

He did most of those things but not in quite the way I thought. This post might sound negative but it simply meant to temper some soaring expectation with a look at him from a step back.

In the first leg he was more attacking, and whips in some great crosses. However they normally came from quick one-twos or his starting position being wider rather than him beating a man with pace. It is weird, but i’m not sure he makes a single tackle in the first leg. Maybe I looked away or had a drink but I didn’t notice a single one. Nevertheless, he looked a decent player with a very dangerous cross.

In the second leg he didn’t get forward as much, but still put in a number of good balls. He didn’t really get past his man like I remembered other than once where he gains a yard on Tav and puts in the cross. His positional sense seemed pretty good, and he didn’t really let anyone past him except Candeias once. However despite making some interceptions I think he only made about 3 tackles. He was marking Alf for our goal, and also when Alf flashes a header just wide. He recycled possession pretty well but did give away possession two or three times.

So, from my point of view he looks a more disciplined defender than Tav, but doesn’t have Tav’s ability to skin players and get into the box (or perhaps he was too disciplined to do that). Equally though, I saw no evidence he is going to be a tackler like we have in Flanagan. He might be an amazingly strong tackler but he tried a tackle so rarely that I don’t have a clue! He looks more attack minded than Flanagan, obviously.

I am looking forward to seeing him play, and his crossing is going to cause teams trouble, but I think the talk of best left back since Numan is just a touch premature although I naturally hope he proves me totally wrong! ? Best of luck to him. He sounds like he is going to give us everything he can.

45 minutes ago, BlueThunder said:

I’ve just spent the last 3 hours watching both Osijek legs to get another look at him.

Its interesting how memory can play tricks on you. If asked before i’d have said he was one of their best attacking threats, liked a tackle, constantly got past players and whipped in great deliveries.

He did most of those things but not in quite the way I thought. This post might sound negative but it simply meant to temper some soaring expectation with a look at him from a step back.

In the first leg he was more attacking, and whips in some great crosses. However they normally came from quick one-twos or his starting position being wider rather than him beating a man with pace. It is weird, but i’m not sure he makes a single tackle in the first leg. Maybe I looked away or had a drink but I didn’t notice a single one. Nevertheless, he looked a decent player with a very dangerous cross.

In the second leg he didn’t get forward as much, but still put in a number of good balls. He didn’t really get past his man like I remembered other than once where he gains a yard on Tav and puts in the cross. His positional sense seemed pretty good, and he didn’t really let anyone past him except Candeias once. However despite making some interceptions I think he only made about 3 tackles. He was marking Alf for our goal, and also when Alf flashes a header just wide. He recycled possession pretty well but did give away possession two or three times.

So, from my point of view he looks a more disciplined defender than Tav, but doesn’t have Tav’s ability to skin players and get into the box (or perhaps he was too disciplined to do that). Equally though, I saw no evidence he is going to be a tackler like we have in Flanagan. He might be an amazingly strong tackler but he tried a tackle so rarely that I don’t have a clue! He looks more attack minded than Flanagan, obviously.

I am looking forward to seeing him play, and his crossing is going to cause teams trouble, but I think the talk of best left back since Numan is just a touch premature although I naturally hope he proves me totally wrong! ? Best of luck to him. He sounds like he is going to give us everything he can.

We didn’t sign him on the strength of just 2 games against us,also you don’t get the full picture of a players involvement in a game from tv.

6 minutes ago, Dickie said:

We didn’t sign him on the strength of just 2 games against us,also you don’t get the full picture of a players involvement in a game from tv.

Listen, i’m not having a go at him. All I’m saying is he wasn’t quite as attack minded as my memory suggested (both legs watched on tv, then rewatched today) and I was surprised how little he tackled (or needed to) over the two legs. His positioning was usually very good I have to say.

I think he looks like he could be an excellent signing for us.

I think this is a nice move from Gerrard pairing Katic and Barisic on the left an Tav and Goldson on the right our defence just got stronger communication wise alone before we even compare Flanagan and barisic as players, I think it also covers the ch position bringing barasic in, freeing up Flanagan to cover CB/LB/RB positions as and when needed

6 hours ago, Iggy666 said:

I thought that Bockaj was great. Good turn of pace, tricky as fuck and those long throws would be delightful up here. Don't see that much in the Scottish game.

He certainly is a great prospect and would be a great signing for us, but if we are going to get him then I think we need to get it done quickly because I know Rijeka have been keeping tabs on him, but I don't think Osijek would be too keen to sell him to potentially their main rivals for the title this season.

13 hours ago, They Gnu said:

Glad we got this one over the line, Flannigan cuts onto his right way too often to be a left back.

That's probably true, but at the moment we have a choice; Flanagan or Halliday... what's your preference? :huh:

2 hours ago, BlueThunder said:

I'm going to look at these two games again, BT and see if I agree with you or not. As for being the best left back since Numan! I'll be happy if he's the best left back since Papac.