Russian tourist Visa's if we play UFA.

K.A.I

Thought it might be useful to make a thread for anyone travelling to this game (should we both progress and make it through to play each other)

I've been looking a lot today and trying to find out best way to do it. Does anyone have any solid advice and help doing it?

I know the Visa costs are done in 3 segements (Visa processing cost, service charge and letter of invitation cost) ... the letter of invitation is something you need an affiliated organisation or the hotel to stamp for you which is part of the Visa process/application. Seems to come in at about £140 for normal service and £200 for 1-day fast track service.

When we played CSKA Moscow in 2004 the Rangers/official trip sorted this side of things and when we played Dyanmo Moscow in 2002 my Dad was working out there at the time as a supervisor and sorted it out for me so I didn't have to do very much - plus a lot of the process changed in 2014 anyway so a lot of the process won't be applicable anymore anyway.

Doing the form online most of it is pretty bog-standard stuff, but there's 2 questions a lot of us will have difficulty with - one of which is documenting the old passports you've had and their numbers and details ... this is especially difficult as you are encouraged by the UK Home Office/Passport Office to destory your old passport upon receipt of your new one and also it wants you to list the countries you've been to in the last 10 years along with the dates ... at a guess I've probably been to about 30 countries in the last 10 years maybe and a lot of them more than once, how are you meant to remember all that? anyone that's done this found a way around this?

There's agencies that do it all for you for a fee that can cut through a lot of this red tape - but would need to find the best one - any suggestions? 

Also apparently once you have the form filled out and documentation in tact, you go upto the Russian office in Edinburgh and apply that day without an appointment? is this true? 

1 hour ago, K.A.I said:

Thought it might be useful to make a thread for anyone travelling to this game (should we both progress and make it through to play each other)

I've been looking a lot today and trying to find out best way to do it. Does anyone have any solid advice and help doing it?

I know the Visa costs are done in 3 segements (Visa processing cost, service charge and letter of invitation cost) ... the letter of invitation is something you need an affiliated organisation or the hotel to stamp for you which is part of the Visa process/application. Seems to come in at about £140 for normal service and £200 for 1-day fast track service.

When we played CSKA Moscow in 2004 the Rangers/official trip sorted this side of things and when we played Dyanmo Moscow in 2002 my Dad was working out there at the time as a supervisor and sorted it out for me so I didn't have to do very much - plus a lot of the process changed in 2014 anyway so a lot of the process won't be applicable anymore anyway.

Doing the form online most of it is pretty bog-standard stuff, but there's 2 questions a lot of us will have difficulty with - one of which is documenting the old passports you've had and their numbers and details ... this is especially difficult as you are encouraged by the UK Home Office/Passport Office to destory your old passport upon receipt of your new one and also it wants you to list the countries you've been to in the last 10 years along with the dates ... at a guess I've probably been to about 30 countries in the last 10 years maybe and a lot of them more than once, how are you meant to remember all that? anyone that's done this found a way around this?

There's agencies that do it all for you for a fee that can cut through a lot of this red tape - but would need to find the best one - any suggestions? 

Also apparently once you have the form filled out and documentation in tact, you go upto the Russian office in Edinburgh and apply that day without an appointment? is this true? 

I went to Edinburgh to their consulate and got it sorted myself without any agency. This was a few years ago .

1 minute ago, Basrah Bear said:

I went to Edinburgh to their consulate and got it sorted myself without any agency. This was a few years ago .

What did you take, what was the process and how long did it take to get your Visa? 

3 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

What did you take, what was the process and how long did it take to get your Visa? 

Mate I cant remember but it was done very quickly. I think I had to show the flight and hotel. The process was very quick and hassle free. I know then you had to be specific about which area you were going to and not wander outside that region.

39 minutes ago, linfield1690 said:

Are visas not lifted for the wc don't know if it applys to us in europa

Yeah you got a wee card type thing with your passport picture that doubled up as both your VISA and match ticket for any games purchased but it doesn't extend to these games, sadly.

38 minutes ago, Basrah Bear said:

Mate I cant remember but it was done very quickly. I think I had to show the flight and hotel. The process was very quick and hassle free. I know then you had to be specific about which area you were going to and not wander outside that region.

Apparently you can wander although you did need to give them a sort of itinarary of your plans. 

37 minutes ago, The Dude said:

A wee point, if anyone attened any World Cup games your photo ID issued for that will be enough as it acts as a visa until the end of the year

Didn't know it covered them until the end of the year - there was a couple guys I knew there so that's a wee bonus for them as they will be doing this trip also.

38 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

Yeah you got a wee card type thing with your passport picture that doubled up as both your VISA and match ticket for any games purchased but it doesn't extend to these games, sadly.

Apparently you can wander although you did need to give them a sort of itinarary of your plans. 

Didn't know it covered them until the end of the year - there was a couple guys I knew there so that's a wee bonus for them as they will be doing this trip also.

Aye it was only announced on the weekend of the final. Think they hedged their bets a wee bit in incase it turned into a shit show but since everyone was safe and had a good time they decided to keep it open

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-soccer-worldcup-final-putin-visa-regi/russia-to-extend-soccer-fans-visa-free-regime-to-end-2018-idUSKBN1K50YM

I went to Moscow in 2012. 

The consulate is a waste of time. You must do your application via VFS Global. 

When i applied for my visa, i had to personally submit all of my paperwork at their office in Edinburgh. The visa arrived after 5 days by secure post. 

Diplomatic issues might have changed everything recently so worthwhile reading about how the English fans got on when they went to the WC. 

Heres hoping we qualify. 

I went in 2005 ish.  It was fairly straightforward at the consulate in Edinburgh but you had to leave your passport with them and show evidence of your travel arrangements, hotel etc.  Cost about £180 all in.  One thing I would say is keep a bloody good eye on your exit pass they give you at the airport.  It's a shitty wee bit of paper about half size of a cigarette paper. They don't let you out of the country without it

32 minutes ago, Badger said:

A fair old trek to Ufa. Must be about the same distance as the USA away.

I've applied for a lot of Russian visas over the years. Consulate in Edinburgh is your best option, they were always fairly helpful. Then via VFS Global.

Do you have a number for them? I couldn't find one. The only number I could find was for the other building and it said all enquiries must be directed to the other building (which I couldn't find a number for)

40 minutes ago, kanjo said:

I went to Moscow in 2012. 

The consulate is a waste of time. You must do your application via VFS Global. 

When i applied for my visa, i had to personally submit all of my paperwork at their office in Edinburgh. The visa arrived after 5 days by secure post. 

Diplomatic issues might have changed everything recently so worthwhile reading about how the English fans got on when they went to the WC. 

Heres hoping we qualify. 

I noticed that it's done on the VFS Global website ... at the end of the online form, do they submit the info to the Edinburgh office who then get's in touch with you? do you then go and see them with your photo etc? also what did you do when filling out the countries you've visited last 10 years? I'd imagine it all flags on your passport when you arrive in Russia and they scan you at Passport Control, is there a note of the countries on your Visa for them to cross-reference and check? 

Just now, K.A.I said:

I noticed that it's done on the VFS Global website ... at the end of the online form, do they submit the info to the Edinburgh office who then get's in touch with you? do you then go and see them with your photo etc? also what did you do when filling out the countries you've visited last 10 years? I'd imagine it all flags on your passport when you arrive in Russia and they scan you at Passport Control, is there a note of the countries on your Visa for them to cross-reference and check? 

Would you no just rather Luxembourg mate rather than this hassle :lol:

6 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

you do everything with VFS and when it's all submitted they then pass it to the Consulate.  It's all above board and official.  Although you provide a passport photo it's not likely it will be used (although there is a space on the visa for it).

If you tell them you are going, for exmaple... from the 1st to the 4th, they will give you a single entry visa to use within 3 months for three days which will include the time you give (at least that's how they done it a few years ago).

The experience of getting a Russian visa was very simple compared to China, the hardest and most annoying part was needing to goto Edinburgh for all of five minutes to do the handover of documents.

1 minute ago, kanjo said:

you do everything with VFS ans when it's all submitted they then pass it to the Consulate.  It's all above board and official.  Although you provide a passport photo it's not likely it will be used (although there is a space on the visa for it).

If you tell them you are going, for exmaple... from the 1st to the 4th, they will give you a single entry visa to use within 3 months for three days which will include the time you give (at least that's how they done it a few years ago).

The experience of getting a Russian visa was very simple compared to China, the hardest and most annoying part was needing to goto Edinburgh for all of five minutes to do the handover of documents.

Do you take the passport photo with you to the consulate and they put it onto your Visa if they see fit? also what about the countries you've visited last ten years on the web application form to be sent to the consulate - what did you put? 

5 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

Do you take the passport photo with you to the consulate and they put it onto your Visa if they see fit? also what about the countries you've visited last ten years on the web application form to be sent to the consulate - what did you put? 

You don't goto the consulate at any time.  It's the VFS service centre you'll goto.  Part of the documentation will require you to submit two passport photos.

The process can be complex and hard to explain but check this website out here and it should have some pointers - http://ru.vfsglobal.co.uk/contact_us.html

The most difficult and non-user friendly document you'll need is a hotel 'coupon' which most hostels/hotels will provide after booking (booking.com should have it in hotel descriptions if they provide it or not)

All in all it seems a helluva lot but it's all a case of doing A) B) C) etc. 

1 minute ago, kanjo said:

You don't goto the consulate at any time.  It's the VFS service centre you'll goto.  Part of the documentation will require you to submit two passport photos.

The process can be complex and hard to explain but check this website out here and it should have some pointers - http://ru.vfsglobal.co.uk/contact_us.html

The most difficult and non-user friendly document you'll need is a hotel 'coupon' which most hotels/hotels will provide after booking (booking.com should have it in hotel descriptions if they provide it or not)

All in all it seems a helluva lot but it's all a case of doing A) B) C) etc. 

Ah so there's a Russian consulate and the VFS Service Centre? that makes sense and explains why there's 2 buildings listed and why the number listed for the consulate directs all enquiries to the other building.

I hate pressing you on this but the countries past 10 years? 

1 minute ago, K.A.I said:

Ah so there's a Russian consulate and the VFS Service Centre? that makes sense and explains why there's 2 buildings listed and why the number listed for the consulate directs all enquiries to the other building.

I hate pressing you on this but the countries past 10 years? 

Just list everywhere you've been in the last ten years.  Unless you've been to any of the "terrorist countries" then your absolutely fine.  When i applied i'd been to America, most of Europe, Japan and China and listed all of them and the dates.  They can check all of this though on your passport pages. 

Let me know how you get on (hopefully if we qualify) and enjoy yourself.  Russia is a tremendous place to visit and I highly recommend going for the week and spending most of it in Moscow!