Formation - Why not 3 at the back?

Tonight illustrates for me exactly why we should not play 3 center halfs regularly.

The closing down all over the park, but especially from Candeias and Kent was outstanding.

Candeias undoubtedly made a mistake in not shooting, or taking a step forward before playing the ball back to Morelos which he got allot of stick for and rightly so. His workrate was fucking unreal tonight though. The number of times he pressured a defender into a mistake or cut out a pass was just incredible.

If we move to 3 at the back and use Tav and Borna to wing backs, then we lose this pressure up the top end of the park.

We would be a man down in the middle and the pressing game would be far more difficult and less effective.

There might be the odd occasion where playing 3 at the back would be a good move, but for 90% of the games we will be playing, tonight's formation is the one to go with.

A lot of people will say go 3 or 5 at the back against celtic and try containing them. 

I would do the opposite and go at them. With our pressing all over the park and fitness levels, they won't be able to cope. 

Go with the formation we've been using and let other teams worry about us for a change.

1 minute ago, BlueMe said:

A lot of people will say go 3 or 5 at the back against celtic and try containing them. 

I would do the opposite and go at them. With our pressing all over the park and fitness levels, they won't be able to cope. 

Go with the formation we've been using and let other teams worry about us for a change.

Absolutely!

I really don't understand the continual attempts to push one set formation, Stevie G has already said we will change formation as and when he thinks its necessary.

As for playing them, you go for their fucking throats, their weakness is at the back but teams never go at them and test them.

Just now, Bears&Reds said:

I really don't understand the continual attempts to push one set formation, Stevie G has already said we will change formation as and when he thinks its necessary.

As for playing them, you go for their fucking throats, their weakness is at the back but teams never go at them and test them.

Hearts did and pumped them 4-0.

Close down the Lego eating spastic and they fold like a deck chair.